It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
McDonald's plans to add touch-screen ordering kiosks to thousands of stores nationwide to supplement in-store employees, transforming America's largest fast-food chain.
“What we are finding is when people dwell more, they tend to select more," McDonald's CEO Steve Easterbrook told CNBC Monday. "So there is a little bit of an average check boost that comes with it.”
McDonald's will add kiosks to 1,000 stores every quarter — roughly 10 stores per day — over the next two years, Easterbrook told the network. And the U.S. is late to the game: Kiosks are already fully installed at stores in English-speaking markets such as the United Kingdom and Canada. France was the first country to introduce the self-serve machines.
But it's possible McDonald's will run into consumer resistance. A poll conducted by MSN found that 78% of customers are less likely to go into a restaurant that has a self-service kiosk. Even if it has the kiosks, most McDonald's restaurants still lets customers order at the counter.
Easterbrook hopes to have self-serve kiosks in all U.S. locations by 2020.
The kiosk in your hand will work, too: The ability to order from your own smartphone will come to more stores, CNBC reported. Delivery options are under consideration as well.
originally posted by: eXia7
I'm all for kiosks and robots replacing fast food workers. It seems like the more and more I eat at any fast food place the quality of food and service is in the dump.
Not to mention people don't wash their hands when they return to work, and who knows what else people do with your food. Fast food workers demand 15$ an hour, but I've yet to see any of them do anything worthy of 15$ an hour.
originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed
originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: dug88
People should be getting jobs servicing the kiosks.
So that would take care of 1% of the fast food workers replaced by kiosks, what do you think the other 99% should do?
originally posted by: Grimpachi
a reply to: dug88
They have them at my local MD and I hate them. It is faster to order from a person at the register.
originally posted by: NthOther
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed
Be thankful they're not working at McDonald's anymore and use it as an opportunity to improve their lives working somewhere else?