It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yea its me again...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 05:18 PM
link   
So me and the wife were at a little sale on base in Germany they brought in a bunch of new whiskey and even had a rep from Macallan there to talk shop with whoever wanted to.

We were looking for a special bottle to lay in and present to the kid on his 21st, or a special bottle that could potentially be sold at auction in 21 years.

We found a good one, and I bought the Macallan M, its a blend of 7 different casks with the oldest being from the 1940s... but very pricey. I checked some apps that bring up cost and availibility of specific bottles, and this was 500 euro cheaper than any I could find anywhere stateside or europe.

So we pulled the trigger and bought the last one, saw the bottle going for 1 thousand euro over what we paid on ebay that night, so in theory in 21 years this thing should be worth quite a bit. (yes the money will be his, I grabbed another Nato exclusive creation for us to drink together when he turns 21)

Anyways onto the rant portion...we get home and their is a message from our renter so we call him back and he informs us that they found mold in both upstairs bathrooms.

today we got the call form the contractor explaining what needed to be done and offering an option where they will take apart the wall between the two rooms and make certain they get everything, then rebuild the wall.

How much.. pretty much every single penny I just spent on whiskey could have paid for this...FFS is allI could think.

Of course we have them going all the way, our kid when he is no longer on the every 3 hour feedings will be in the room right next to the problem area so of course we want to do it right.

Just once... just once...can I not get the other shoe to drop so soon.

GAH... well at least the reserve thing is coming along, and I have networked to increase my odds in the civilian world once we have a definite day we will be stateside, the kid is still looking good, wife is still healthy, she gets her next checkup tuesday.
So yea I shouldnt complain the important things are covered, just cant shake the irony about spending pretty much the exact amount needed for the cleanup.

Time for a tumbler of whiskey.

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 05:26 PM
link   
so you've got 500 euros to spend on whiskey.
its hard to feel sorry for this rant, but hey, a rants a rant

edit on 8-6-2018 by Rikku because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Get more quotes dude.

A massive rebuild shouldn't be needed, open 1 side, spray fungicide, fix leak, dehumidify over night, re-treat and close it up.
Cut above trim and inside of all corners a couple inches, so its easy to mud w/o doing all the corners again.

..this is assuming it's not super-infested when you open it, you don't always need drywall replacement, and if they are talking re-framing, don't hire them.

Mold is way over-hyped. Make sure it's not a surface mold from inadequate, or under-used exhaust fans misdiagnosed as an in-wall issue.

I've dealt with this crap quite a bit.

Do you have any pics?

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 05:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Mandroid7

Not yet, have to get the renter to send it.

Difficult process to over see from 3500 miles away.

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 06:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

Eww, yeah sounds tricky. One thing I have found is that when dealing with BR mold, your surface molds usually focus toward the top half of the walls and the ceiling, and in-wall leaks will pop out on the bottom half. Something to think about if you get a better description of the problem location, and a lot of times you will start to get a disfigured texture/peeling paint along with water stains from the inside out moisture, vs the most common visible surface mold, which could also be room to room related just because they both share the same low power exhaust fans. I would address before a wall tear open, etc.
Most people think black mold death spores, when a quick spray of bleach will wipe it right off the surface.

Ask if they can snap a pic, if you want I can look at it. I should be able to tell pretty quick what's up.

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 06:51 PM
link   

sell the hooch
whats the problem

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Put the booze in a box and fuggedaboudit!

It's an investment.

Take your time on the mold issue, plenty of times it's a scam.

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 07:07 PM
link   

I feel your pain. I don't have that sort of money to throw at stuff- but it's like the absolute frigging instant I live a little, KA WHAM. Right between the eyes. "Oh, look. The exact amount I paid for (insert nice thing here) is what is wanted for unexpected expense ."
Every.
DAMN
Time.

I think the universe hates certain people....

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 07:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: wylekat

I think the universe hates certain people....

One thing I have learned is that if something good happens to you, if something actually goes right, DO NOT GLOAT--even a little bit. Don't even smile. Just accept, say thanks, and move on. It's when you gloat that the hammer comes down.

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 08:06 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

I... don't gloat. I give the universe the stink eye and let rip with "well, you certainly took your GD sweet time, didn't you?!"

It's been a rough life. :/ Never used to be quite so.... ummm... crass.

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 08:08 PM
link   
I'm suggesting to you that an "excess of hubris is the chassis of genesis." Take the advice or don't.

posted on Jun, 9 2018 @ 05:51 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Guy from the distillery asked if I would display it at home, I said nope.

The bottle and display case came in its own boxes, inside a larger box, which was inside the packaging box along with all required packing material to keep a crystal decanter safe and secure during transport.

I don't intend to open the box except to check it when we get back to the states and then box it back up, then leave it till the kid turns 21.

top topics

join