It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Follies of Activism

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 03:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
a reply to: seeker1963

The word Nazi comes with the implication of dead Jews and the holocaust.

Next time there is another tea party type of movement remember this thread and how Nazi-ish those people are being. Whenever Trump goes on his eventual re-election campaign remember that he's acting like a Nazi or KKK member.

There are plenty of implications in the thread, I can't help that you can't or refuse to see them.

Obviously reading comprehension isn't one of your strengths!
I am sure your local college can help ya out with that, but most likely they will teach you to be an activist! The Nazi's did many things we can learn from other than killing Jews! Perhaps that's what worries you folks using those same tactics that want you to throw out the "JEW" word to shut down any further conversation????

Yea, don't worry, I won't tell anyone.......
edit on 8-6-2018 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 03:24 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

The science is off-topic, I thought we were discussing activism, how about address my on-topic points instead of deflecting to the science of GM food and crops. Discuss the activism or I'm out mate, that was what interested me in your thread.

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 03:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Asktheanimals
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

I think there's a missing subtext, I'm talking about recent protests in the US which means BLM, Antifa, No Trumpers. Those are who I am referencing here. I've done plenty of protests myself so it's not the entire idea I'm speaking of.

US - recent protests - Leftists.
Got ya

I was just thinking general activism in the wider sense.

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Yes, public executions and lynchings are public executions and lynchings regardless of the time frame or those who do it. But somehow, in your contradictory world, activists remind you of the French and Russian lynchings but not the KKK ones even though they're the same exact actions only in different time periods and by different people.

You're very dense Les and I believe your intelligence gets in the way of your honesty. Your ego is so huge that you refuse to acknowledge the obvious in order to protect your ego. Get over yourself.

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 03:30 PM
link   
OP you missed the part where activism is the only way to create change...like women's right to vote. They were activists. Or MLK he was an activist. Or Ganhdi He was an activist. Or our forefathers George Washing and crew...they were activists. The only thing certain in life is that things will change. Sometimes very slowly though and only through activism.
edit on 8-6-2018 by amazing because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 03:31 PM
link   

I've been around here so long I half-mindread many posts and the intent behind it. Or I imagine it, either way I did not make a clear distinction though I can't speak for Les, it does sound like throwing out the baby with the bathwater to me. European activism has often been beneficial to us here in the US, pointing out problems no one was aware of. Right now we'll be lucky if our honey bee populations survive but most of Europe has banned neonicotinoid pesticides and yours are recovering.

Keep up the good work mate.

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Perhaps that's what worries you folks using those same tactics that want you to throw out the "JEW" word to shut down any further conversation????

Kinda like how the OP threw out the words "Nazi, KKK, lynchings" etc. in order to say that activism is bad?

Yeah, let's bring up the worst possible examples and ignore the good ones like MLK and the American Revolution in order to push our illogical agenda. Makes sense.

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Perhaps that's what worries you folks using those same tactics that want you to throw out the "JEW" word to shut down any further conversation????

Kinda like how the OP threw out the words "Nazi, KKK, lynchings" etc. in order to say that activism is bad?

Yeah, let's bring up the worst possible examples and ignore the good ones like MLK and the American Revolution in order to push our illogical agenda. Makes sense.

If you don't remember the worst of your past and history you are doomed to repeat it!

I remember when Obama was president and people on the right used the term Nazi and the left lost their minds on how disrespectful it was to the Jewish people and yet heree have those on the Progressive left calling everyone who disagrees with them Nazi's!

Can you explain the sudden turn around in logic?
edit on 8-6-2018 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 03:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy

The science is off-topic, I thought we were discussing activism, how about address my on-topic points instead of deflecting to the science of GM food and crops. Discuss the activism or I'm out mate, that was what interested me in your thread.

It brings to mind that your activism on this particular cause was misguided, as it often is.

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 03:40 PM
link   
a reply to: amazing

OP you missed the part where activism is the only way to create change...like women's right to vote. They were activists. Or MLK he was an activist. Or Ganhdi He was an activist. Or our forefathers George Washing and crew...they were activists. The only thing certain in life is that things will change. Sometimes very slowly though and only through activism.

We all know the positive views of activism. But my missive is on the follies of activism.

Activism is not the only way to create change. While hippies were out protesting the Vietnam war, the draft, there were people actually in there doing the work for them.

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 03:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

Cheers mate
I have to admit it is easier to protest and carry out civil disobedience in the UK though. Our cops mostly only have sticks, maybe a few in the team with Tasers, but the average cop just an extendable baton. I've taken one off a cop who hit me years ago, then threw it away, he crapped it when it was just two men and fists lol.
Our courts don't send us to prison unless you've really asked for it. Most activist type arrests I've just been released after an hour or so with 'No further action' or an official caution which goes on your record. Couple of convictions, criminal damage to Monsanto test crops lol, both £200 fines, yeah that really spanked me lol
It is easier for us here, and Monsanto were shocked, that behemoth of US corporations, beaten by the unwashed masses...that and the UK government didn't really crack down on us, so that victory may have been TPTB happening to agree with not wanting GM crops grown in Britain.
...conspiracy site n all

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 03:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

We all know the positive views of activism. But my missive is on the follies of activism.

Activism is not the only way to create change. While hippies were out protesting the Vietnam war, the draft, there were people actually in there doing the work for them.

You kind of make it seem like you think Activism is bad though. Almost like it's pointless in the long run, I just wanted to point out that it's what makes this country great and that it's key to creating meaningful change.

Remember also that it wasn't just Hippies protesting the Vietnam war, many every day americans of all kinds protested the war and were instrumental in getting us out of Vietnam. Activism led the way there.

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Can you explain the sudden turn around in logic?

Hypocrisy probably, but your argument can easily be turned around onto the right as well. Any time you point out that the left is being hypocritical on any given issue you've got 3 fingers pointing right back at yourself. You can't say the left is "hypocritical" on any given issue because that only brings into focus how BOTH sides have flipped stances on that particular issue and how your team is just as hypocritical as the other.
edit on 6/8/2018 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 03:44 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Yes, public executions and lynchings are public executions and lynchings regardless of the time frame or those who do it. But somehow, in your contradictory world, activists remind you of the French and Russian lynchings but not the KKK ones even though they're the same exact actions only in different time periods and by different people.

You're very dense Les and I believe your intelligence gets in the way of your honesty. Your ego is so huge that you refuse to acknowledge the obvious in order to protect your ego. Get over yourself.

I spoke about the threat of agitated groups, no matter who or where they are, and that they are looming threats of chaos. This pertains to any group that thinks they know what they want, and will do anything to get it. At any moment, it could lead to violence.

I'm not sure why you cannot argue in good faith here. Fallacy, misrepresentation, and lies is all you can offer to bolster your argument.

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 03:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy

It brings to mind that your activism on this particular cause was misguided, as it often is.
The activism won though, so discuss the folly of activism as you deem it, if it actually works sometimes. Monsanto was a massive victory by common people. The rest of the nation pretty much agreed.
So yep, activism, I'm all for it, and I'm interested in your discussions of how that conflicts with your views in the OP?

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 03:46 PM
link   

You kind of make it seem like you think Activism is bad though. Almost like it's pointless in the long run, I just wanted to point out that it's what makes this country great and that it's key to creating meaningful change.

Remember also that it wasn't just Hippies protesting the Vietnam war, many every day americans of all kinds protested the war and were instrumental in getting us out of Vietnam. Activism led the way there.

I don't like activism at all.

Yes, pacifists of all stripes protested the war. But pacifism, like activism, is more pernicious than helpful.

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 03:46 PM
link   

So a Trump rally is just as dangerous as any other rally or form of activism. Good to see that Trump and other politicians are promoting dangerous practices.

Maybe your next thread should be about how Trump is endangering people by getting his followers to meet up and perform their activism against the evil liberal media and government? That should be interesting.

edit on 6/8/2018 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 03:48 PM
link   

The activism won though, so discuss the folly of activism as you deem it, if it actually works sometimes. Monsanto was a massive victory by common people. The rest of the nation pretty much agreed.

So yep, activism, I'm all for it, and I'm interested in your discussions of how that conflicts with your views in the OP?

Activism can win, sure, such as in the rise of fascism and Nazism, or extreme pacifism. But they often trample the rights of freedoms in order to do it. As in the case of your own anti-GMO protests, the freedom to conduct business was impeded, and the cause was inherently wrong, leaving everyone worse off than when it all started.

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 03:50 PM
link   

So a Trump rally is just as dangerous as any other rally or form of activism. Good to see that Trump and other politicians are promoting dangerous practices.

Why do you keep bringing up Trump? Oh right, no other argument. A political rally is not activism.

I made sure to criticize both left and right-wing activism, but you take issue that I put them in the same category. I just don't get it.

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 03:51 PM
link   

If activism was acceptable, non-threatening and routine behaviour, it would have no sway over those in power.

It helps to raise the awareness and it does have a sway over those in power. For example, people holding up signs addressing issues of concern, people who work for the government might walk or drive by and see them. Those who work in the government might raise the concerns in the government, provoking discussion and possible social change.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join