It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Follies of Activism

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 05:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: ClovenSky

originally posted by: RowanBean
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

That Gandhi's opinion. No evidence that changing oneself will affect others to betterment.

Do you really believe that or are you trying to win a point?

Jesus tried that and see what happened to him.

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 05:40 PM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

Which changes are they? And what gives you the idea that they are "real" and by implication the protesters are "unreal' Show me how these evolving changes that you claim, dont just reside in your head.

I'll let you catch up.

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 05:40 PM
link   

When you get down to it and remove all of the illusions, isn't everything self serving? If we are being honest. Even if you do things for your kids, it is usually the parents peace of mind they are trying to sooth over the betterment of the children themselves.

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 05:42 PM
link   
a reply to: RowanBean

That Gandhi's opinion. No evidence that changing oneself will affect others to betterment.

By Man he means all men. That's why he uses the term "ourselves", not oneself.

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 05:42 PM
link   

I think his oratory works and moral arguments had a far greater effect than his activism, but I say this on the grounds that marching, assembling, and protesting are unconvincing.

Now I know you are being totally dishonest.

You are stating that he wrote his words not expecting them to have any effect on people. If people just read words and stayed home I'm sure change would have happened. The words he wrote and the marches were certainly convincing enough to effect measurable change to put it mildly.

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 05:43 PM
link   
a reply to: ClovenSky

When you get down to it and remove all of the illusions, isn't everything self serving? If we are being honest. Even if you do things for your kids, it is usually the parents peace of mind they are trying to sooth over the betterment of the children themselves.

I'm not sure that's the case given the sacrifices some make for others, even people they have never met.

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 05:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

Sure. And you think all men will listen to him, that is if they even heard of him?

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Even if jesus was real or not, are you trying to say that the story of how he lived his life hasn't influenced anyone throughout time?

If anything, the story of his death just magnified the story of how he lived his life even more.

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Now I know you are being totally dishonest. You are stating that he wrote his words not expecting them to have any effect on people. If people just read words and stayed home I'm sure change would have happened.

The words he wrote and the marches were certainly convincing enough to effect measurable change to put it mildly.

Kennedy gives many reasons behind his conclusions, none of which include MLK.

edit on 8-6-2018 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Sure. And you think all men will listen to him, that is if they even heard of him?

The point is, I think, that if all men bettered themselves, so too would society.
edit on 8-6-2018 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Even if jesus was real or not, are you trying to say that the story of how he lived his life hasn't influenced anyone throughout time?

If anything, the story of his death just magnified the story of how he lived his life even more.

I'm saying that changing ourselves don't always produce desired effects in societies.

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 05:49 PM
link   

The point is, I think, that if all men bettered themselves, so too would society.

That's a no-brainer. If only some humans wouldn't be so bad.

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Dang, Les awesome subject. There are a lot of points you made that really encourage critical thought.

I absolutely love your message that through changing ourselves we can change the world. I think that is the only way. When enough people change themselves to a similar ideology, the rest of the sheep will follow after a certain critical mass is reached. For better or worse I don't know.

I hope this thread continues. There is a lot of wisdom here. Now if I could just figure it out.

time to reread.

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 05:55 PM
link   

You’re missing out. GM foods are not worse in any way. Are you sure you weren’t misinformed?

If they were so good for you the corporations wouldn't fight tooth and nail to have labelling hide their inclusion. Are you sure you're well versed on the subject?
edit on 8-6-2018 by TheConstruKctionofLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 05:57 PM
link   

themselves to a similar ideology, the rest of the sheep will follow

So any one who doesnt follow your ideology is automatically a sheep.

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 05:59 PM
link   

If they were so good for you the corporations wouldn't fight tooth and nail to have labelling hide their inclusion. Are you sure you're well versed on the subject?

Yes, I've looked into the subject, and am willing to hear any counterevidence on the subject so long as it doesn't come from some nut-case's blog.

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 06:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight

themselves to a similar ideology, the rest of the sheep will follow

So any one who doesnt follow your ideology is automatically a sheep.

common now, you can do better than that. Was that a glancing blow off of the chin or suppose to be full fledged knockout punch?

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 06:04 PM
link   

What do you think about processed foods? Foods with the shelf life extenders and other added chemicals. Do you think those are just like eating a raw vegetable without any added pesticides or fertilizers, causing no harm?

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 06:05 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

The scariest thing is that even though he may not realize it he is advocating for an Orwellian dystopian future run by a corpocracy where activism is outlawed.

We have seen the laws passed off as protecting us from terrorists rushed through with minimal public exposure post 911.
I just dont get it. Words used to mean something from his sharp penmanship.

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 06:06 PM
link   

What do you think about processed foods? Foods with the shelf life extenders and other added chemicals. Do you think those are just like eating a raw vegetable without any added pesticides or fertilizers, causing no harm?

Personally I try to avoid processed foods. But genetically modified foods (something we've been doing for tens of thousands of years), on the other hand, are quite good and healthy.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join