It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Suicide now 10th leading cause of death in usa

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 09:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Christosterone

I am pretty sure God knows though. Unless he also only relies on falsified death certificates to determine who makes it past the pearly gates.

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 09:12 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

That's awesome

I wish all parents were as invested in their kids as you.

Many are not.

"Borgification" is just my opinion on an underlying social norm that may lead to suicidal tendencies.

Genuine human contact has been shown to be a healer for most anything.

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 09:14 AM
link   
The one thing that celeb suicides show is that this shows is that money and fame can't in fact buy happiness. Fashion designer Kate Spade also off'ed herself this week too.

I don' think we will ever know why physically healthy people decide to commit suicide. For many that do, they probably believe they have no other choice and suicide is the only way to end whatever pain and frustration they are experiencing. Suicidal people are not rational.

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 09:14 AM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Not Cancer...Everyone cares about people getting terminally ill and not being able to win the fight. They don't want to die. I'm talking about the people who do. Or even the people who get ill and eventually give up.

Don't they have the right to die?

All I'm saying.

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 09:15 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

It seems like your a great parent who uses technology as another tool in your arsenal. You don't allow the technology to raise your child. Moderation is key to everything.

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 09:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Thanks Obama.

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 09:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: GuidedKill

I don't think will work because I don't think in every case, or maybe even in most cases, people who suicide really want to do it.

So after someone blows their head off we are still saying they just needed attention?? I think if someone kills themselves there is no doubting there intention is there??

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 09:19 AM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

I think the thing with parents and screens is that too many parents think they're good with 'em, so junior will be too. They forget that they didn't really get exposed until they were much older and had lived life first.

But I don't think screens are the only reason. I think we tend to overdiagnose everything as a problem. Too many kids have ADD/ADHD. I'm on guard against it with mine because he's like me at his age. I was extremely active and needed to move - so does he, and because he's a boy, that makes it worse.

We medicate for everything and I know from personal experience that anytime you muck with brain chemistry, you're opening Pandora's box. You better not do it unless it really needs to happen, but most people don't even think about what they should be watching for. They just pop the pill, and then you have the ones who take them unevenly, and that makes things worse.

As for the older population, I'd like a breakdown in statistics, and I wish we could compare them with statistics from certain earlier times. Of course, we can't because they didn't keep close stats in those days, but had they, it might tell us a lot about the trend in older suicides.

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 09:42 AM
link   
a reply to: GuidedKill

Touche, sorry I misinterpreted that. It's an interesting argument, and as a strong believer in personal liberty it's a tight rope for me.

I guess my stance is we as a society have to try and help, it's our duty. We're all on this crazy ride together, and in some fashion all related.

That being said you can't stop someone... But passing judgment on those who take their life is a bad precedence for those struggling with their internal argument.

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 10:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
Just after two celebrity suicides in a week, one a chef, one a fashion designer, we now find that suicide is number 10 on the killer list.

"CDC: Suicides increased by more than 30 percent since 1999 in half the states"

I found this clip interesting.

"Opioids were present in 31 percent of those who died by suicide. While Stone acknowledged that a person’s intentions are not always clear when drugs are present, these were deemed to be suicides by self-inflicted poisoning."

I have argued for a long time that the increase in school shootings is a result of increased mental disease. Not a gun issue.

Self harm is way up over the same time period so it's hard to believe there is no connection.

Why such a change?
Diets?
Culture?

www.omaha.com...

USA has one of the worst working conditions in the western world.

Very little holiday with some people having to work 2 or 3 jobs just to scrape by? Humans where not built for that sort of stress long term and many will burn out phycialy and mentally.

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 10:24 AM
link   
a reply to: DieGloke

Yeah, terrible conditions ...

2 or 3 jobs or 16 hour days and living at work to make it?

Half past 6 am to midnight, but maybe a couple hours of overtime ... for kids who should still be in school.

Yeah, we have the worst conditions ...

Artisanal mining (another name for primitive and horrific) ...

But you keep telling yourself we have it the worst here.

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 10:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: DieGloke
Very little holiday with some people having to work 2 or 3 jobs just to scrape by? Humans where not built for that sort of stress long term and many will burn out phycialy and mentally.
When I've looked at stat's though the UK and EU isn't vastly different in suicide rates, slightly lower yes, but not massively.
I can only speak for the UK, but most people only work 37 hours a week, have 6 paid weeks holiday a year, have universal healthcare, pretty generous benefits if out of work, cash, no council tax, and rent paid, free dental/optician/hearing care. But we still kill ourselves only slightly less than the US. There has to be more to it.

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 10:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz
a reply to: Bluntone22

Thanks Obama.

Really?

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 10:34 AM
link   
a reply to: DieGloke

Your theory might be right in contributing to some suicides but there are places that have completely terrible working conditions and the people are not killing themselves.

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Our society is totally atomized.

Add to that only value you serve socially what you can add to someones bank account.

Thats it. That's the problem.

Now work harder for less losers. You didnt learn to code so you're a loser.
edit on 8-6-2018 by toysforadults because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 10:53 AM
link   
My mind is racing too much to have much more to say at this moment but I do want to say something.

I used to be very happy, and confident, and strong. I don't know what happened but I lost those traits and I'm fighting my damndest to regain them.

I'm sorry that so many of us are suffering, and if you're miserable just know that you're not alone. I know that doesn't change your individual situation, but you are not the only one in pain. You can fight it. You can get your life back, it is not easy by any means for the average bear but it's possible.

I don't know what the answer is. I just know that I want the best for myself and everyone else who hasn't found their best yet.

Goes to show it doesn't matter how much money or material items you have either.

Thinking of everyone. Ride it out with me, let's do this together. Even if you don't think anyone cares about you the way you want them too- you're likely wrong. I've never met someone that didn't even have a single person who cared about their life and what became of them.

Let's make life our bitch, not the other way around.

-Alee

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I think a lot of people who choose to exit this life do so because they cannot meet the expectations placed on them.

Im in my 50s; a higher % of males I know are taking their own lives. I've noted that they get downsized at work, and then flail around looking for a similar job. But no one will pay them as much. Employers can get a fresh college grad who will work for peanuts. Not some old duffer with unacceptable levels of integrity/self-esteem.

I think once you realize your best days are behind you, and that family and friends no longer respect you, there is a tendency to die in self-defense.

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Many of the schools today stop the kids form working out the little issues like that these days. So, they bottle it all up and do one of two things:
A) Internally: Take it out on themselves by cutting (or otherwise hurting themselves)
B) Externally: Taking it out on others. Either those lower on the social ladder or the entire group of tormentors where they gather together as a group (i.e. schools).

It's not rocket surgery here folks. By not letting kids blow off steam a little at a time, and for guys that is actually a friendship bonding event that women just do not understand, they force them to hold it in too long.

Welcome to the consequences of the massive social experiment perpetrated on the youth for the sake of "sparing their feelz" and instilling a false sense of self worth. Once reality smacks them in the face with big life stresses, they have not been taught how to manage the little stresses as they grew.

Throw in the influence of Big Pharma on younger and younger brains and central nervous systems, and you have a recipe for death. Yet, everyone is surprised when these slow burning fuses they lit themselves because, feelz, explode in their faces.

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

From the stats, the highest rate of suicide is middle aged men - and in particular white men.

afsp.org...

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 11:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: NerdGoddess
My mind is racing too much to have much more to say at this moment but I do want to say something.

I used to be very happy, and confident, and strong. I don't know what happened but I lost those traits and I'm fighting my damndest to regain them.

I'm sorry that so many of us are suffering, and if you're miserable just know that you're not alone. I know that doesn't change your individual situation, but you are not the only one in pain. You can fight it. You can get your life back, it is not easy by any means for the average bear but it's possible.

I don't know what the answer is. I just know that I want the best for myself and everyone else who hasn't found their best yet.

Goes to show it doesn't matter how much money or material items you have either.

Thinking of everyone. Ride it out with me, let's do this together. Even if you don't think anyone cares about you the way you want them too- you're likely wrong. I've never met someone that didn't even have a single person who cared about their life and what became of them.

Let's make life our bitch, not the other way around.

-Alee

I really hope you and your loved ones are able to find the strength you once had. Remember everyone has someone in their corner, even if they can’t see them all the time. Strength resides within us all, you never lose it. It only weakens a little but with work it returns.

Go find your strength.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join