It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Suicide now 10th leading cause of death in usa

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 08:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Does this mean we are gettin better at curing/treating other illness

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 08:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
From what I see around here, Suicide has increased substantially over the last five years. Some of the incidents here have ties to social media events. Social media can have a contributing factor to suicide.

Majority of the blame goes to the Pharma conpanies. They automatically put you on say Zoloft or Xanex for every little thing. The adverse affects of those drugs are suicidal thoughts and tendancies, which they proudly advertise but do nothing to correct.

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Same in the UK, but I think the best treatment is friends and family. The stigma of mental unwellness has gone in my world so people speak openly together about their feelings and emotions.
I work in construction and even there the culture has changed, even if it needs to be one on one, I counsel big bears of blokes all the time...once people know it's safe to talk about feelings then talk they will.
Bottling stuff up is a major cause of suicide in my opinion, and not having anyone you feel safe to talk about such things.

I'm glad the culture has changed in my parts, Britain generally, plenty of mental health awareness in our media now, that 'stiff upper lip' bull# is not really appropriate anymore.

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 08:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: fatkid

Does this mean we are gettin better at curing/treating other illness

I do believe that cancer death rates have dropped considerably.

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 08:31 AM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

I'm not sure I agree with you here.
Things got worse when everybody was feeling everything.
The pendulum swung to far the opposite direction.

We need to toughen up our kids again but not to tough. They need balance.

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 08:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Christosterone
My wife has been a level I trauma city ER MD attending for the better part of 2 decades...

Since residency, many deaths have been apparent suicides but we were loathe to list them as such in the charts for the ME to examine...

We are southerners and it’s not societally accepted to commit suicide (if you understand what I’m saying)

In any case, I wouldn’t be surprised if 33-50% of deaths are suicides but are under-reported...

Before any one argues with me or judges me on this fact, I can only say it happens across the board...

I ask y’all this: would you rather say to someone their elderly father decided to take all his heart pills a few months after his wife died so he could join her in death OR is it better to tell them he accidentally overdosed due to confusion?
The answer is an easy one when you are in the family room...I assure you...

It is the living who must suffer the death to pass (if I may steal from Tolkien)

-Chris

There is a lot of wisdom in your post and you are right. My mother has decided which medicines to take and alternatively not to take to orchestrate her death and quality of life right now. In other words, she does not want to be in a position where she will have a stroke, she would rather die sooner of a heart attack.
edit on 16CDT08America/Chicago03580830 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 08:34 AM
link   

I'm someone who has been in that situation and saw no way out. I suffer with mild ocd and germ fears and it started to build up and suddenly I just kept seeing things in a horrible way and couldn't get my head straight and people around me just saw it as attention seeking, I was so close to it that I wrote a note but didn't have the coins to carry it through and eventually went for help so suicide being so high does not surprise me.

I do have question - In the US do people have access to mental health for free or do they have to pay and if they do it has to be a high price right? Here in the UK we get free mental healthcare (Currently using Greenwich Mind for help with issues and see them once a week) Just wondering how it works in the US.

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 08:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

Why such a change?
Diets?
Culture?

I think social media borgifies some people, especially a younger generation that grew up with an iPad since age 2.

People are so comfortable interacting through their devices that they forget what to do without them sometimes.

The example I like to use is with a cousin of mine who has 2 kids (and now one infant.)

They both got the iPad treatment since very young and she just sets them away to keep occupied with it. She's not a bad parent or anything. She isn't neglectful or inattentive.

However, her kids don't seem to have basic social skills at all. They don't seem to know how to react, or what to do. You can say "Hello! How are you?"

They just stare at you like a deer in the headlights. No smiles, no words, no nothing. They're not dummies, they're just weird.

I see it a lot in my work too. People just don't know how to look another person in the face and speak genuine thoughts. It's easily noticeable as a generational thing.

Boomers are so much easier to talk with than millennials. Sad to say, but it's true and you're kidding yourself if you don't notice it. I was raised by my grandparents so maybe I'm partially immune to the borgification. I actually learned a few old-fashioned values that I carry with me.

I think some people end up with a latent sense of loneliness that they don't know how to cure, due to not being able to engage people on a level that was once normal.

Of course, the irony being, I am sharing this thought with the very method I am decrying.

edit on 8-6-2018 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Younger people growing up in echo chambers that become their family. Because their biological family does not care/has no time to care/does not understand them. Then they exit their safe cocoon and enter a shark eat shark reality and can not cope.

Older people become unhappy with the choices they have made in life and/or can not come to terms with a rapidly changing society.

Add in drugs, sex, money. Then have everything amplified by social media. An experiment that has finally proven everyone is secretly horrible. You want to know the content of someones soul. Just read what they write when they think they are anonymous.

The struggle is real for some.

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 08:38 AM
link   

It's got to be a balance for sure, but speaking about my generation the pendulum swang to far towards 'stiff upper lip', especially guys older than me.
My own son got plenty of 'suck it up buttercup' from me in his childhood, as well as being a safe pair of ears to listen to his emotions. Balance has always been my style, and my mates are the same, sometimes good old fashioned British banter is appropriate such as 'get over it you #ing big girls blouse' or whatever to raise a laugh.
Another common line is 'I've got some man-up pills you can buy if you want?' which usually raises the tone, but then followed with genuine compassion for whatever it is they are unhappy about.

Like I said, friends and family with a strong tribe of people who love each other is the best for being happy in any society.

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 08:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Dwoodward85

Kids can find help at their schools for free and there are all kinds of programs available around the country.

It's like the old alcoholics saying.
The first step is admitting you have a problem.

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 08:40 AM
link   

First off, I hate that he stole my background color....

Anyhow, kids(especially irrational teens) have been committing suicide since time and memorium..

The brain during puberty is still plastic and quite busy with innumerable factors changing with hormones and all manner of chemical changes...

Again, this is not new...

But back to my previous post...

Would you rather me tell you that your son or daughter intentionally overdosed or made a mistake in their dosage?
I assure you I am not psychic but my answer would tend to be the same.
Why add insult to injury to a grieving family if the death is technically nebulous and it is always at the discretion of the admitting physician to set the tone for how the death will be called..

Trust me, it’s always better to say “accidental overdose” or “medication miscalculation” if no other factors (sucicide note, etc) are available...
Most suicides, and this is based on more than you could fathom, do not have obvious signs leading up to them nor do they have neatly written notes...
Most are impulse actions..

Anyhow, hope this helps...

But these were going on in 1999 at the same clip if memory serves and this was before the childhood over-medication epidemic...
Plus many(most) successful suicides seem to be men over 40...at least in Texas...
This is not based on data but observation

-Chris

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 08:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Christosterone

I would think as a parent you would be able to accept an overdose as opposed to an intentional suicide.
You would be blaming yourself forever for missing something or believing you were the cause.

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 08:48 AM
link   
a reply to: GuidedKill

I don't think will work because I don't think in every case, or maybe even in most cases, people who suicide really want to do it.

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Lol, it's a slightly different shade of pink

Regarding suicide though, my father begged the hospital with his painful incurable condition and they eventually conceded with enough Morphine. All the family with him, we were comforted by the doctor's (obviously unofficial) actions.

A close mates mother had some awful lung condition which was also incurable. She killed herself saving her pills up, and again, with family around her. They didn't assist her, but they respected and understood her wishes to go at her own choosing.
Suicide in health issues is not such a taboo in my parts anymore.
My son has known for years if I'm ever in a position where a care worker has to wipe my ass then he will absolutely assist me if I request it, many friends are the same about their end of life choices. Hopefully it won't be illegal to assist by the time I face such a choice...but we'll find some way to get around that even if it is not.

I've promised many close family and friends the same if they had some debilitating/painful condition which they didn't want any more...it's spoken about freely in my circles.

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Suicide, at least in Texas, is unacceptable to most families...

My wife, as a young attending fresh out of residency, was punched in the face [and had her orbital broken] (at Parkland) when she told a father his daughter had committed suicide...
This is not an urban legend...it actually happened...

She has since learned to temper the truth when it comes to suicide death notification...

-Chris

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Lots of religion in Texas and suicide is a huge sin.
So no surprise.

A few months ago a young man in our community hung himself and a popular local preacher refused to oversee his funeral because it was a suicide.
He took a load of heat over that choice.

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 08:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Christosterone

Suicide, at least in Texas, is unacceptable to most families...

My wife, as a young attending fresh out of residency, was punched in the face [and had her orbital broken] (at Parkland) when she told a father his daughter had committed suicide...
This is not an urban legend...it actually happened...

She has since learned to temper the truth when it comes to suicide death notification...

-Chris

I would have had his ass put in jail - grieving or not.

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 09:03 AM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

Yes, we are, but then again, it's all about sense of perspective.

My kid is out and about and will be all summer. He's got science camp for 6 weeks that's full day. He takes tae kwon do in the evenings. He has two LEGO engineering classes that will be half day, and he'll go to 3-day overnight tae kwon do camp. Then we take off for summer vacation to round it all off.

That doesn't leave him no free time, but he's busy enough that his screen time is confined to an hour or maybe two at most on any given day. And most days, he simply opts not to get on either computer in favor of either watching something on TV or playing outside.

He's very adept with tech. The school has iPads for all the kids, so it's not like he doesn't know how to use technology, and he can play on his dad's smartphone when we go out to eat while we wait for food. He's also very adept with our computers even with those limits on his screen time.

But we make sure the screens aren't his life. Heck, we're even looking at sending him to computer gaming camp for a week next summer because it has computer building, robotics, and drones as part of the activities.

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 09:09 AM
link   
I don't believe there is an end-all reason for suicide there are a plethora reasons primarily in the mental health area. However, are not every reason listed amplified by the diminishment of the value of life. We slaughter millions of the unborn yearly. We put things on tv and games that reinforce killing as a way to win thus further diminishing that value.

Parents and corporations ended the lifelong dream job so many families find themselves isolated due to the transient nature of maintaining a job.

The LGBT community brings out why its ok to be different, but puts out little to no information on how to cope with being different.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join