It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anthony Bourdain Passes Away

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 12:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
a reply to: DarkestConspiracyMoon

Suicide. Sad, was just watching him ther other day.

He was just was fun to talk with in person as he was to watch on TV.

i was just talking to Ottavia the other day.
talk to her fairly often

im going to see if she has said anything about this now

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 12:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Oh, I'm not mad. I haven't even gotten to the parts which make me mad yet. I haven't EVEN gotten to those parts yet! I might be sad for his family, but I'm not mad.

No, the things which make me mad are the calls in the middle of the night to pump out the flooding in the basement, the calls to come kill the rattlesnakes or to fix the fence, or to go round up the cows who got out. THOSE are the things which make me mad!

So why? Why do I scream "Suicide is for SELFISH COWARDS!"?

Well, just in case someone else is thinking about doing it, the whole world should know what everyone's opinion of your whole life is after you do it! So that any single person who's even contemplating the act KNOWS that every single good thing they ever did in their life will be instantly vaporized the very second they commit the act. And that the only memory of them going forward will be one of contempt and dishonor! And why is that, you may ask? Because that was their "parting shot".

That's why.

Perhaps you could call it a deterrent.

Suicide is for SELFISH COWARDS!

Expecting that another person owes you something is selfish and cowardess...

People suffer different...your opinion is ironically selfish.

The world and it's people don't owe you anything.

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 01:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: luthier

a reply to: CriticalStinker

Oh, I'm not mad. I haven't even gotten to the parts which make me mad yet. I haven't EVEN gotten to those parts yet! I might be sad for his family, but I'm not mad.

No, the things which make me mad are the calls in the middle of the night to pump out the flooding in the basement, the calls to come kill the rattlesnakes or to fix the fence, or to go round up the cows who got out. THOSE are the things which make me mad!

So why? Why do I scream "Suicide is for SELFISH COWARDS!"?

Well, just in case someone else is thinking about doing it, the whole world should know what everyone's opinion of your whole life is after you do it! So that any single person who's even contemplating the act KNOWS that every single good thing they ever did in their life will be instantly vaporized the very second they commit the act. And that the only memory of them going forward will be one of contempt and dishonor! And why is that, you may ask? Because that was their "parting shot".

That's why.

Perhaps you could call it a deterrent.

People suffer different...your opinion is ironically selfish.

The world and it's people don't owe you anything.

We might actively listen, but we rarely actively read. Mind you, I'm not a clinical psychologist, but it would seem highly charged written/spoken opinions stem from personal experience and harbored resentments. The broad brushed one's are very telling.

I'm absolutely guilty of this as well.

Sometimes it's just a well played move to be aware and grateful that many minds are operating at any given time, right or wrong. Suicide is a release, I'm sure those that commit this unfortunate act are not thinking about selfishness or cowardice. Quite possibly they are feeling they're doing themselves and the world a favor.

Regardless, it is heartbreaking and not necessarily senseless which isn't easy to accept either way.

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Suicide is painless but for those left behind.

Rest in Peace Anthony Bourdain.
edit on 8 6 18 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 02:55 PM
link   

a reply to: angeldoll

I have personally experienced suicide (4) times in my life...the OTHER side of suicide! The survivor's side.

I carefully thought about my statement before posting it! I thought about it, and I'll post it every time I see it!

People need to scream my same words from every rooftop, and they need to say it every time someone does it. Suicide is a statement. And, it's a bad statement.

Period.

No, it's not, but you are one. If a person expects another to live in misery to keep them happy, to abide by YOUR wishes instead of theirs, then you are a very selfish sack of crap. "MEMEMEMEME, think of MEEEEEEE suicidal person, your misery doesn't matter, you don't matter, only IIIIIIII matter!"

Society may be sick indeed, but it's people who put themselves before the truly suffering that signify a toxic, sick society.
edit on 6/8/2018 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 04:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Meh, whatever.

I just hope you never have to find out how wrong you are.

ETA...BTW, I never said no one else matters! In fact, what I am saying is exactly the opposite (if you would actually read); EVERYONE matters! Everyone matters, not just the selfish cowards who kill themselves. They're the ones who don't care about anyone at all, not even themselves!

edit on 6/8/2018 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Suicide is a strange emotion.

This guy had what was arguably a wonderful life being payed to travel around the world.

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 04:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep

Suicide is a strange emotion.

This guy had what was arguably a wonderful life being payed to travel around the world.

suicide is not really an emotion now is it?

and i should be clear after all this time and all these suicides that money or success in life does not equal happiness.

we cant know what kind of pain people are going through.

suicide knows know race, gender, or income class you know

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 05:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

You've said you've 'experienced it", Four times! blah blah blah.

NO. You haven't. You've only experienced ONE SIDE of it. The aftermath. Which in many cases is devastating.

I understand what you are saying, and so do those who do it. I'm sure it makes it even harder, and is a significant factor in holding them back. So if they do it anyway, knowing the pain/chaos it will cause, you have to consider how much pain they are in. Pain they consider to be unbearable despite everything else.

Whatever.

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 09:01 PM
link   
It is always throws me into a tailspin when a celebrity commits suicide - and in this particular case, the signs of Satanism and Nihilism were always there with Anthony Bourdain, and of course, discussion about his suicide will be reflexively dissociated from the fact that he appeared to 'cultivate' his demons, for instance, when he said he would eat human; or when he would post strange gifts he received like a trepans kit (to break open a human skull) - all such signs strongly indicated to me a person with a schizophrenic type self-organization - that is, a person who "loved pain" and felt "pain in love". That is, Bourdain had a deeply traumatized mind, to which his tattoos gave copious expression. One, a skull; another, an ouroboros; a third, the chaos wheel.

The man indulged his torture: he applied positive, reinforcing feedback to his problems by romanticizing and idealizing them, as if they weren't fundamentally torturing to begin with.

People like this have attempted - very ideally, since it isn't possible - to live a life where a positive relationship to negative things - skull, death, ouroboros, a reptilian symbol for selfishness absorbing itself; and the last, a very naïve idea that he could contain chaos.

Saddened that he died; but repulsed and jaded that some people think this way of thinking and being has anything intelligent about it.

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 09:03 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Having basic material needs met - a toilet, toilet paper, regular food, a clean water for bathing and drinking; a heater; air conditioning.

People who don't have such things have good reason to be miffed.

I get what you mean though: after your bare material essentials are met (assuming you believe as I do that masochism is a bad thing) all the extra stuff is actually more often a source of addiction and neediness; it can make you psychologically weaker.

posted on Jun, 9 2018 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I take my my comments about him being murdered for talking about the Clintons. This guy is a satanists.

His girlfriend is a satanist and he was probably silenced for what he knew or what he was going to say.

www.instagram.com...
www.instagram.com...
www.instagram.com...
www.instagram.com...

I'm pretty sure to get on TV you have to be a human trafficker or a satanic pedophile.

posted on Jun, 9 2018 @ 01:09 PM
link   
a reply to: booyakasha
Eye to the fking roll,not everything is a conspiracy.Sorry to burst your bubble..

posted on Jun, 9 2018 @ 01:40 PM
link   

It is a crazy thing suicide and from where I am sitting it will take huge cohones actually doing it. It is a permanent decision/solution for a temporary state of mind. Just the fact that a mentally healthy person consider such an act "brave" must say something about the mental confusion/ distress of the person commiting it.

It is practically not to fathom how this singer from this rock band Linked Park could take his own life. He had everything a man can wish for going in his life. A beautiful wife, beautiful children, succes, a millionair, respected, friends... You can ask yourself.. what does it take to cause so much grief and unhappines to your family and throw all what you accomplished as a person away by commiting suicide?

Must be something really terrible going on in this mans head...don't you think? Stupidity, yes maybe...Cowardness has no place and nothing to do with this if you ask me.

edit on 9/6/2018 by zatara because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2018 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Seems Val saw the same way I did..

www.msn.com...

posted on Jun, 10 2018 @ 04:14 AM
link   
a reply to: luthier

I missed this post earlier...

So it's wrong then for a child to expect his/her parent owes them an upbringing, care and protection...selfish and cowardess even????????????????

It's selfish and cowardly for an 11 year old girl to believe her father owes her not having to experience the grief and shame of his selfish act, an act which will likely scar her for life???????????? She should just be happy he took the time to create her, is that it????

Anthony Bordain owes me absolutely nothing, and I never suggested he did. Whether he lives or dies is of little consequence to me personally. Except for the fact that it was he who decided to be on TV, to be a celebrity, to father his daughter and to serve as a role model for others (his daughter most importantly). He had a responsibility, and his own personal happiness or lack thereof is irrelevant in the shadow of those responsibilities. How many others will see his actions and aspire to the same (i.e. see his suicide and believe it is okay for them to do the same)???

posted on Jun, 10 2018 @ 04:47 AM
link   

'Selfish cowards?' Most cases of suicide are due to mental illness. The brain isn't firing properly and the person is unable to continue. Rather than 'cowardice,' it's often an attempt to escape from themselves. People are overloaded with heightened emotions and intrusive thoughts that don't let up for days and often months.

It's an approach that works with the CIA and is considered torture. Whereas they might play the same record repeatedly and loudly, the sufferer's brain plays the same thoughts over and over even whilst sleeping. It can drown out the rational voice.

Of course, there are also other factors such as they were abused as children or something PTSD-bad has happened to them. They might have lost their only family, or significant others, and wish to join them.

It's a big old world and we all have different takes on things. So it should be and 'cowards' is a valid opinion I suppose. On the other hand, depression is one of the biggest killers in the Western world. THE biggest killer of men under 45. The second biggest killer of war veterans. It's illogical and ill-informed to define them all as 'cowards.'

Surely it's occurred to you that people are different and that mental illness isn't a choice.

posted on Jun, 10 2018 @ 05:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Well...I will agree to painting with perhaps too wide of a brush if you will.

And, perhaps I should narrow my focus some, but I'm not sure I can word-smith that without negating my point.

I agree that mental illness makes for illogical and irrational decisions and that placing blame in such cases may seem illogcial as a result. However, in the same breath, I have to look at the holistic side of the equation as well...specifically the damage done to those left behind by such an act, regardless of cause. So yes, I actually do see your side of the debate.

I do not for a moment suggest that persons with mental illnesses such as depression which could lead to suicide don't have an "illness", or that they are lesser people because of it. This is not my point at all. Perhaps my message is really this...

Suicide dates back to the beginnings of mankind, so it's nothing new. But our politically correct society has made suicide more acceptable, almost en-vogue if you will. There is nothing romantic or cool about suicide, and this is the message society should be sending, loud and clear. The message should be so loud that people hear it above all other things, and seek the help they need to deal with their mental illnesses...and not accept the alternative; suicide. Never.

Several responders on this thread (to my posts) have pointed out that many people who commit suicide believe they are doing the world a favor. Society needs to understand that in all but the most extreme cases, suicide is never a favor. Never.

I would also counter with; while many suicide victims may think they are doing the world a favor, there are also millions of others who take their lives to exact out some twisted revenge or pain on someone else. And, I would think you would have to agree here. How many suicide notes to we see with themes like... "you didn't appreciate me when I was alive so now that I'm dead you'll see what I was really worth to you (world, significant other, parents, etc.)!"

As a society we should error on the side of creating a universal message that suicide solves nothing and is categorically unaccptable. It is, as several here have noted, a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

And I would like to make one other point...I noted above that only under 'extreme' circumstances should suicide be acceptable, and I'd like to expand on this a bit. Now we get into the broader definition of suicide. There are examples of people who truly are suffering with mortally debilitating physical conditions (mental should not be considered one of these, not so incidentally). Often these individuals know they truly are a burden to themselves and those around them. It is my belief that these poor souls deserve the right to choose between life in agony and death. Now this may seem somewhat hypocritical to some, but I feel there's a pretty clear line here.

posted on Jun, 10 2018 @ 05:34 AM
link   
And one more thing...

You know, cutting through all the words, all the emotion (mine and others)...my message is really pretty basic, but perhaps it's not clear:

At the end of the day, life is the single most precious thing humans have. It should be celebrated, always. Death is permanent, and never should be considered an acceptable alternative to life.

posted on Jun, 10 2018 @ 05:49 AM
link   

As a society we should error on the side of creating a universal message that suicide solves nothing and is categorically unaccptable. It is, as several here have noted, a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

Most media platforms (including this one) have a policy on suicide discussions because it has a contagious element. News sites generally refuse to report suicides unless they're by people of influence or fame. The approach has brought down the number of 'cluster' suicides and thereby reduced the number of tragedies in families.

How many suicide notes to we see with themes like... "you didn't appreciate me when I was alive so now that I'm dead you'll see what I was really worth to you (world, significant other, parents, etc.)!"

To be fair I haven't read enough notes to form an opinion. Approximately zero notes so far. Nevertheless I have a higher than average number of experiences related to the problem. A good friend ended his life on Monday and several more have gone that route over the years. Even in my extended circle of acquaintances and through work, I'd estimate half a dozen a year minimum. Some have been borderline sadistic acts to spite daughters or partners. An evil legacy. Others have been inevitable with them suffering from depression for years and finally losing the battle. I've talked a few down from their existential cliff too.

There is a clinic near Liverpool that got the number of suicides down to zero. It shows that treatment can work and that suicidal ideation can be overcome. There's even a study showing that 90%+ of surviving leapers changed their mind on the way down and this is what makes it all the more tragic. Most of the dead didn't need to go and it upsets me to think how many lost their grip on life filled with remorse.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join