It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anthony Bourdain Passes Away

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 08:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Nope. Im viewing the event as somebody who has met him and as a cook who lives and works in NYC. It pisses me off.
edit on 8-6-2018 by TheAlleghenyGentleman because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-6-2018 by TheAlleghenyGentleman because: Speeding walking to work in the city typing

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 08:07 AM
link   
a reply to: TheAlleghenyGentleman

I completely understand your point of view and where you're coming from. Can't say that I myself am pissed off because a) never met or kept up with the man himself and b) mental illness is an irrational behtch.
edit on 8-6-2018 by DarkestConspiracyMoon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 08:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

originally posted by: Plotus
I have always looked at suicide with contempt and disgust. It is a sorry way to go, perhaps he found peace. His loved ones surely didn't

Looking at someone with mental illness and having disgust is like looking at someone with leprosy with disgust.

Just because you don't understand how someone could do a "selfish" act (I assume that was your implication) just shows your minds health and sanity.

Don't take it for granted. Because in the words of Jim Jeffries "from time to time we all get sad, one day your happy then your sad".

My minds health and sanity is not what is in question then by default anyone who has mental problems and does an act like this or worse, School Shooters should be condoned by default. He may have been popular in certain circles, but to go out like this took forethought. Are you a psychiatrist ? or just speaking from your emotion. And how dare you attempt to diagnose me with nothing beyond an opinion. See how that works !

But go ahead, carry-on.

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 08:38 AM
link   
I’m seriously saddened over this. He was one of the people who got me into cooking and made me realize that there’s more to being a chef than just cooking food. Just from watching him on TV.

Him and Action Bronson are the main reasons I’m in culinary school now and planning to open a restaurant.

Damn. R.I.P.

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 08:44 AM
link   
This saddens me so much. He was diplomacy in action. I liked watching how he interacted with others, he was sooo smooth.

In an interview once, he was asked the question if he had one wish, what would it be, and he said "that I didn't have to do this job anymore".

He's made his wish come true. But his appearance changed recently. He looked very, very tired. I wonder if he was ill.

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 08:47 AM
link   
He was a smart, funny, conflicted man.

We attended the same school, decades apart, and he remained a big supporter of the CIA and all the cooks there.

I feel for Chef Ripert who found him.

He was doing so well for so long. But since he and Nancy split there seemed to be a slow, steady, downward trajectory. At least that was my impression, from a distance.

This is terrible.

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 08:53 AM
link   
I'm sorry, but suicide is for SELFISH COWARDS!

Period.

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 08:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

Period.

So you are one of those people who have to experience something before you understand it?
Fine. Shallow, but fine.

In any event, a good man has died, and your comment is quite rude and insensitive. Some things are best kept to yourself.

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Period.

People that kill themselves are not thinking rationally.
Hopefully you will never feel the effects.

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Period.

Lack of understanding for mental illness projected as anger is for selfish cowards.

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Rip Anthony. The guy did seem to be a cool guy. Amazing life
edit on 8-6-2018 by Quetzalcoatl14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 09:06 AM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

I have personally experienced suicide (4) times in my life...the OTHER side of suicide! The survivor's side.

I carefully thought about my statement before posting it! I thought about it, and I'll post it every time I see it!

People need to scream my same words from every rooftop, and they need to say it every time someone does it. Suicide is a statement. And, it's a bad statement.

Suicide is for SELFISH COWARDS!

Period.

edit on 6/8/2018 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 09:07 AM
link   
I'm a sad panda.

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 09:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

People need to scream my same words from every rooftop, and they need to say it every time someone does it. Suicide is a statement. And, it's a bad statement.

Hmmmm, interesting approach, but I don't see how berating or condensend the mentally ill could hurt.

Good point
/s

Sorry for your losses, but anger in this situation is not conducive.

They commit suicide as a way out, which could be many different things for different people. Saying it is selfish further fuels their misconception that this world will be better without them.

You're doing more harm than good.

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Period.

It seems the only fear at play here is yours. I’d say it takes balls to jump into the great unknown without looking.

While we’re at it, I believe a person should have the right to choose their own time, if that’s what they want. You could tell Bourdain was always deeply troubled just by watching him on TV, and a lot of times money and fame only make things worse. Especially if you’re sober like he was.

How about you stop letting your fear of dying influence how you react to other people’s death? If a person wants to go, that’s their decision. I don’t judge because most people are fighting battles that no one else knows about.

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 09:20 AM
link   
...and I'm not talking about 'sorta suicide' (like drug overdoses and the like), but full-on put a gun to your head kind of suicide.

It's tragic, and not for the SELFISH COWARD who does it, but for those he / she leaves behind.

This SELFISH COWARD had an 11 year old daughter! Think about that for a moment. ...

No matter what, how is she going to feel...for the REST OF HER ENTIRE LIFE???

Dad checked-out on her when she was just 11 years old! Every single thing she does in her life, all the good things, and all the sad things, she's going to remember that moment, and she's going to resent and hate him for it. When she stands in front of the mirror with her prom dress on, when she stands on the podium getting her diploma...when she walks down the aisle to get married. When she has her first child (the list goes on).

Suicide is for SELFISH COWARDS!

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 09:28 AM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

I've had to pick up the pieces, that's why!

I've had to pick up the shattered tiny pieces of broken lives!

I've seen the deep depression suicide creates. I've personally experienced the loss and grief, the lost and suicidal feelings of family members. I've faced the questions of why. The desperate tearful pleas, over and over (for years), as if an answer would bring them back.

AND...(and this is probably most important of all)...I've personally experienced one suicide leading to an attempt at a second one by a family member as a result of the first one.

There should be NO honor in suicide! You fight to the end. Those are the rules.

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Screaming at a dead guy over the internet instead of actually going out and resolving this issue is calling the kettle black.

30% rise since 1999 in the United States. He is not alone. Obviously we have a problem on our hands. And no, going to mountain tops and calling the deceased cowards will not fix it.

Again, I'm sorry that your position comes from that of pain... Pain you're trying to deal with, and in your own way (anger), but not everyone does so the same. Just because you don't have thoughts of checking out doesn't mean others don't.

We're all on this crazy ride together, and I have a feeling that in today's age everyone's quickness to alienation of things we don't understand plays a role in this systemic problem.

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 09:33 AM
link   

There should be NO honor in suicide! You fight to the end. Those are the rules.

No man left behind is one of the rules as well. Chastising will only lead to more left behind. It creates a wall. You should be the first person someone should come to on this issue.... I doubt that's the case.

I'm rooting for you, we all can change. You've still got a few more steps to get through in grief. I hope you find peace

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Man I didn't see that coming..From experience mental pain hurts more than physical pain..Dude seemed like a cool cat,RIP Anthony.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join