It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Handmaid's Tale. YOU WANT TO WATCH THIS.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2018 @ 05:21 PM
link   
First season was brilliantly done. Hard to watch at times but thought provoking and unsettling.
Season 2 is looking just as good.

Lots of fan theories being discussed re season 2 in a few upvoting type of threads elsewhere. Trying not to read too much to avoid spoilers as we are 2 or 3 episodes behind in UK.

posted on Jun, 7 2018 @ 08:56 PM
link   
my brothers boyfriend works for hulu and was very much a part of this coming to fruition - so proud of him!!

not surprised at some of the responses here..

posted on Jun, 7 2018 @ 09:41 PM
link   
first season was incredible, a great adaptation of a great book. very discomfiting and difficult to watch at times, but amazing.

i haven't checked out the second season yet, haven't really been in the mood for anything too dark lately... but i'm sure i'll check it out eventually.

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 05:42 AM
link   
Saw the movie. Read the book. They were great.

This Hulu adaptation is very lacking for me. Too stilted and not great writing or acting.

I keep thinking it will get better and, so far, it hasn't. Missed opportunity by Hulu.

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 09:12 AM
link   
a reply to: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

This is well worth your time.

Please explain why. I really don't get anything good or positive about this. To give the incels some better options? Or the MGTOWs?

I'm listening. What possible benefit is there to even making such a sick and sadistic series? What possible benefit is there to watching it?

What exactly makes it well worth my time?

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 10:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea

This is well worth your time.

Please explain why. I really don't get anything good or positive about this. To give the incels some better options? Or the MGTOWs?

I'm listening. What possible benefit is there to even making such a sick and sadistic series? What possible benefit is there to watching it?

What exactly makes it well worth my time?

there's a lot going on there if you think about it properly:

Religious Sects: Christianity/Islam
Animal cruelty
Prostitution/Sex trafficking
Boarding schools
Mental Hospital/Patients
Bad/cruel parenting
baby stealing/buying

I'm sure there's a lot more going on and you have good Acting, well written script and very well shot.
edit on CDTFri, 08 Jun 2018 10:16:02 -05000000003010x102x1 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 10:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Justso
Saw the movie. Read the book. They were great.

This Hulu adaptation is very lacking for me. Too stilted and not great writing or acting.

I keep thinking it will get better and, so far, it hasn't. Missed opportunity by Hulu.

I didn't read the book or see a film so I guess that's one reason I'm finiding the tv series good.

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 10:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

Shows what can happen when a religious theocracy has control over women's reproductive systems.
It is a great warning.

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Plus it has made me think that it could be the fellas who are one day milked for viable sperm.
It amazes me that some refuse to watch it tbh is it because they are religious? I dunno.
Does anyone?.

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Animal cruelty
Boarding schools
Mental Hospital/Patients
Bad/cruel parenting
baby stealing/buying

Okay. There's a lot going on. To be more specific, there's a lot of very sick, cruel, deranged and sadistic things going on there... And it doesn't answer my question.

Why is watching sick, cruel, deranged and sadistic characters doing sick, cruel, deranged and sadistic things to others -- particularly women -- well worth my time?

I can think of one very good reason it is not well worth my time or anyone's time: Because there are very real and very sick, very cruel, very deranged, and very sadistic people who will be encouraged -- and even inspired! -- to actually act in very sick, very cruel, very deranged and very sadistic ways.

So I still don't see any positive here and I ask, again, why is it well worth my time?

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 10:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: testingtesting

Shows what can happen when a religious theocracy has control over women's reproductive systems.
It is a great warning.

A warning? We don't need a warning!!!

We already have that in real time. And we have plenty of it in history.

Nor are such evil deeds confined to religious theocracies.

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 10:49 AM
link   
a reply to: testingtesting

It amazes me that some refuse to watch it tbh

And I'm amazed that anyone would want to watch something so vile to be honest... much less consider it interesting or entertaining.

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Watch it or do not.
Why even comment if you can't be arsed.
You have no opinion because you have not seen it not read the book.
Like I said to neo watch it and come back and give an opinion that actually counts because if you have not seen it you can not review nor comment on it.

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Plus it has made me think that it could be the fellas who are one day milked for viable sperm.
It amazes me that some refuse to watch it tbh is it because they are religious? I dunno.
Does anyone?.

It's a hard show for women to watch. There are still men out there, that think women are equal to them, because they "allow it".

I don't think religion enters in the reasoning about watching it. I watched the first season, and the second season is piling up in my PVR, I have to be in the right mood to watch it.

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Watch it or do not.

As I intended.

Why even comment if you can't be arsed.

Hmmmm... can't be arsed to what? Can't be arsed to watch a sick, depraved and sadistic show? Or can't be arsed to understand why it's "well worth my time." Or??? Why even reply to me if YOU can't be arsed to actually answer my question... which, of course, was in direct response to the OP's statement that it's "well worth my time."

You have no opinion because you have not seen it not read the book.

Wrong. I do have an opinion -- as expressed -- about the subject matter. I don't need to see the show or read the book to know the subject matter -- it's public knowledge. Watching it would only tell me about the author and/or actors, etc. I do not and cannot have an opinion about the quality of the writing because I haven't read the book... I do not and cannot have an opinion about the show because I haven't seen it. But the subject matter is public knowledge, so I can have an opinion about that, and I do have an opinion about that, and I have expressed that opinion.

Like I said to neo watch it and come back and give an opinion that actually counts because if you have not seen it you can not review nor comment on it.

Yes, I can give an opinion that counts without seeing it, and I did.

But apparently you cannot explain to me why it is well worth my time. Most likely because it's not.

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Then do one why waste my and your own time commenting on something you do not wish to see.
Would you listen to a book review if the reviewer has not read it? Nope so your opinion means crap all.
edit on 8-6-2018 by testingtesting because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Does anyone?.

There was a book with a premise like this from many, many years back. The Shore of Women by Pamela Sargent

Women lived in great advanced walled cities and men were exiled to live an almost feral existence in the wilds outside the walls. They were lured in and captured periodically to breed with women desiring a child, then released back outside.

Author was a well known feminist. Surprised not on that score.

As to the OP, I did read the novel as a teen. Very dark stuff. Recognized the series name when I was looking through the new release DVD's at work. Haven't watched it, but remembering the darkness of the book, it makes me uneasy. Once upon a time, stuff like that wouldn't bother me much, but it really does now. The real world is dark enough on its own. Maybe I'll check out episode one some day.

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Then do one why waste my and your own time commenting on something you do not wish to see.
Would you listen to a book review if the reviewer has not read it? Nope so your opinion means crap all.

Actually, I already explained my concerns. Apparently you missed that so I will repeat myself.

I can see no good that can come of it... but I can see plenty of bad that can come from it. There will be people influenced and even inspired by this kind of sick, cruel, deranged and sadistic crap. Incels? MGTOWs? People who are already playing with half a deck and a chip on their shoulder.

And FYI my opinion is as valid as any other... including yours. As I already explained, the subject matter is public knowledge, so I am quite capable of forming and expressing an opinion on the subject matter.

But I understand why you would want to think my opinion is crap. Much easier to blow me and my opinion off than to do some necessary soul searching to find out why you like this vile and sadistic subject matter.

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Would you trust a book review if the reviewer has not read it? Only if you are an idiot.
Again you have not read it not seen it your opinion is invalid despite you claiming it is.
edit on 8-6-2018 by testingtesting because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea

Animal cruelty
Boarding schools
Mental Hospital/Patients
Bad/cruel parenting
baby stealing/buying

Okay. There's a lot going on. To be more specific, there's a lot of very sick, cruel, deranged and sadistic things going on there... And it doesn't answer my question.

Why is watching sick, cruel, deranged and sadistic characters doing sick, cruel, deranged and sadistic things to others -- particularly women -- well worth my time?

I can think of one very good reason it is not well worth my time or anyone's time: Because there are very real and very sick, very cruel, very deranged, and very sadistic people who will be encouraged -- and even inspired! -- to actually act in very sick, very cruel, very deranged and very sadistic ways.

So I still don't see any positive here and I ask, again, why is it well worth my time?

Ok, if you aren't interested to see how people were or can be treated in Society or by a movement such as the movement and opressors in the series, I guess that's upto you. Maybe you already know these types of things happen or have happened but it is still worth watching. Yes, women more than men will more than likely not like it at all as it can be uncomfortable but i've been uncomfortable during some of the scenes and I'm a Man.

I guess it depends what really gets your mind and thoughts racing at the end of the day. Some will like it, others won't.

It's more of a Drama than a sci-fi imo, maybe a drama-sci but as it's showing events which have occured and are occuring I'd say it's more just Drama. And it's possible it could occur in the future... on a similar level.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join