It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alphabet refuses demand to tie executive pay to diversity

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2018 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: AScrubWhoDied

why because / racism?

Everything is racist sorry not buying it anymore

The government offers tax breaks for protected classes if you cant find a job you may want to either A look at the market and B look at yourself

posted on Jun, 7 2018 @ 11:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
a reply to: Edumakated

I totally get what you are saying about being insular and how that keeps people out of the market.

Its actually a bigger a problem than we think but is it the job of the government to solve thst problem?

If Google is trying to solve a problem of being to insular are they hiring qualified candidates or are they hiring people based on skin color?

I don't think government needs to be involved.

posted on Jun, 7 2018 @ 11:09 AM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

Why does Google get a pass?

They probably have more expensive lawyers.

posted on Jun, 7 2018 @ 11:10 AM
link   

why because / racism?

The government offers tax breaks for protected classes if you cant find a job you may want to either A look at the market and B look at yourself

I don't know why. You mentioned racism. That's seems to be a reoccurring theme with your posts.

The facts are the blacks are getting degrees in CS but they aren't getting the jobs. I guess blacks just like dealing with the absolute bs that is CS (it's not easy) and throwing money away to the school 'just because'.

posted on Jun, 7 2018 @ 11:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: AScrubWhoDied
Google, and other top tech companies simply state there are not enough minorities with the talent they need, but none of them actually recruit from historically black colleges, where they'd actually find qualified minorities.

Exactly. There aren't a ton of black programmers. However, Google doesn't make much of an effort to find the few that are out there. Part of the issue is that these companies often need minorities in leadership positions to help them see the other options for recruiting. They also need a culture that encourages minority recruiting as well.

posted on Jun, 7 2018 @ 11:21 AM
link   

How is this not about racism?

Do you put that you are a black person on your resume when you submit it to Google and they have a filter that filters it out?

Have you looked at their hiring practices? Is it insular like suggested above?

Its not a reoccuring theme in my post its a constantly nagging issue in mainstream culture

posted on Jun, 7 2018 @ 11:25 AM
link   

I can see that. People are more likely to hire someone withba degree from their own university.

A friend of mine is a very qualified and talented dev who has a cousin who works at Google and he still cant get in.

posted on Jun, 7 2018 @ 11:35 AM
link   
a reply to: grey580

Possibly.

It does sort of look a bit.............conspiratorial. I mean........what special relationship with the Government does Alphabet/Google have that exempts them from the EEOC regs?

I can't find any reference to this topic on the Internet to prove its validity; its as if it has been scrubbed from cultural memory. But in the late 1800's Western Union was deemed by the Federal Government to be part of the National Defense Infrastructure. It still is. Western Union is "protected" and exempted from many Government regulations and by protected I mean that in Houston for example, when a developer decided to build a 40 story (or more) skyscraper on a downtown city block that was largely vacant EXCEPT for the Western Union building, the Feds told the Developer fine, but you'll just have to incorporate the Western Union building into your skyscraper. He did! Its entirely encased and inside the building. You can still see the facade! Its in there, roof and all including its cavernous basement into which runs thousands of Western Union Cables!

AT&T has the same status. That's why all their buildings look like WWII style multi-story, windowless bunkers that could withstand a siege of the Nazi era Wehrmacht.

Same with Union Pacific, Acheson-Topeka-Santa-Fe Railroad.

Maybe..........Google is deemed part of the National Defense Infrastructure?

posted on Jun, 7 2018 @ 12:18 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

Google is venturing into government contracting.

Makes you wonder if they have something that the government has been using for a while. And it's just not public.

posted on Jun, 7 2018 @ 12:31 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

AI and Block Chain Technology.

posted on Jun, 7 2018 @ 12:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
How bout people get jobs and commensurate wage based on their GD qualifications instead of the skin color or sex ?

How about we STOP pushing RACISM and SEXISM?

You clearly didn't get the memo that talking about meritocracy is racist and sexist....
edit on 7-6-2018 by Quetzalcoatl14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2018 @ 12:42 PM
link   

I can see that. People are more likely to hire someone withba degree from their own university.

A friend of mine is a very qualified and talented dev who has a cousin who works at Google and he still cant get in.

Well, once you get to top companies that are high paying, prestigious and all that, it gets much harder. Even without cronyism or nepotism, you are competing with leading global competition. That's how many orgs are here in NYC too. Hyper competitive.

That's how the UN and World Bank are too. Nearly impossible to get a stable, full time regular job at those. I know, I was a UN fellow for a year. At best, you get a short term consultant contract without benefits.

Exceptions in all aforementioned cases are those who are very connected with powerful people, family or work wise. That's where the cronyism comes in.

posted on Jun, 7 2018 @ 12:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
I see both sides of this issue. A company can improve diversity without sacrificing quality.

What actually happens at a lot of these companies is that they get insular in their recruiting, so they never actually see/find qualified candidates who might help meet diversity goals.

I worked at a top management consulting firm. I was the first black analyst in my office. One of only maybe 25 blacks out of like 2000 employees at the time. The company only recruited from the Ivy League and other peer universities. However, they started recruiting at some HBCUs and it helped bring in new talent, most of which were extremely successful. Had they not got out of their comfort zone, they would have missed on on some great employees.

With that said, liberals are hypocrites... they rarely follow their policies when it comes to their own wallets.
Agreed. My experience with prestigious or desirable orgs/companies is that 99% of the time getting a decent job at them means you have to know people. That is through school, sometimes former companies, family, politics, etc.

I'm in a current work place that's desirable, but near impossible to get into without that. I had two friends from an Ivy League get me the job. I do have more than enough qualifications, but still. I know it. It's the same for almost everyone here.

The biggest problem though is that even if one gets in, people that are much better connected at these places often are promoted and empowered far faster, or they enter at a higher level without being more qualified. At my work most of the good jobs go to straight up cronies, many of whom don't have much relevant exp or expertise.

Going back to your diversity point, yes we do need a bigger range of talent. However, that's different than when sometimes someone who isn't that qualified or even capable gets hired over someone else that is to meet some ideological goal or optics. This happens in public sector often.

posted on Jun, 7 2018 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Quetzalcoatl14

Look at this way as well.. I have 4 candidates

A woman
A black man
An Asian man
A white man

An Asian soesnt perform, gets fired no problem .
A white man doesnt perform gets fired, no problem
A woman doesn't perform gets fired, sues or arbitrate for discrimination
A black man doesnt perform gets fired sues or arbitrate for discrimination

How does the feel good discrimination policy affect future hiring practices?

Heres another perspective as well.

I'm a white guy have a problem finding a good job. Get my # together build better skills or your a loser. Figure it out punk.

I'm a black guy or won. Cant get hired and in told figure out loser, work harser get better skills. Racist, sexist.

I'm on a crappy smartphone ^^^^

Why is that?
edit on 7-6-2018 by toysforadults because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2018 @ 01:09 PM
link   

A woman
A black man
An Asian man
A white man

How does the feel good discrimination policy affect future hiring practices?

Heres another perspective as well.

I'm a white guy have a problem finding a good job. Get my # together build better skills or your a loser. Figure it out punk.

I'm a black guy or won. Cant get hired and in told figure out loser, work harser get better skills. Racist, sexist.

I'm on a crappy smartphone ^^^^

Why is that?
So you are saying that such practices ironically could make people not want to hire diverse people?

Also, the second thing you are referring to is a bastardization of the "myth of the meritocracy" sociological critique. It's true the US does not have a pure meritocracy, which conservatives need to realize so they don't blame all poor people.

However, recently liberals have warped this into a race based, categorical analysis. In that view, white men always are privileged and never really earned anything. Because they are so privileged, any lack of success must be that they realllllyyyy effed up. Conversely, poc are never at fault and any difference in skill, education, or job status must be due to oppression.

posted on Jun, 7 2018 @ 01:12 PM
link   

How is this not about racism?

Do you put that you are a black person on your resume when you submit it to Google and they have a filter that filters it out?

Have you looked at their hiring practices? Is it insular like suggested above?

Its not a reoccuring theme in my post its a constantly nagging issue in mainstream culture

Again, you're the only person in the thread speaking about racism. You immediately address a poster that points out one of the reasons the specific company google doesn't hire many black developers :

Exactly. There aren't a ton of black programmers. However, Google doesn't make much of an effort to find the few that are out there. Part of the issue is that these companies often need minorities in leadership positions to help them see the other options for recruiting. They also need a culture that encourages minority recruiting as well.

And then immediately go back to your drama (because you just can't seem to get enough):

A woman
A black man
An Asian man
A white man

Why is that?

It's not. It's your warped perspective that's the issue. I'm open to any data that you're willing to present that confirms this BS though, although I'm not going to hold my breath.

It's actually ironic because with your warped perspectives you'd most certainly discriminate hiring someone based on gender and race - the very thing you're decreeing you're sick hearing about. Pathetic.
edit on 7-6-2018 by AScrubWhoDied because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2018 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Yes I'm saying that a lot of this ideology is backfiring.

Its like experiencing racism (non violent)

I'm a white guy getting bullied and stabbed I'm the back at work. Big deal get over it.

Black person getting bullied stabbed in the back, racism.

What the difference between the 2?

I'm not saying racism hasny adversly affect anyone but I'm saying what is the truth and where do we draw the line?

I'm bullied until high school and in white but I cant use that bullying as an excuse because I need to get over it. Why can everyone else use it an excuse?

posted on Jun, 7 2018 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Its a thread avout discrimination yet in not allowed yo discuss sexism and racism.

Interesting.

Oh and convienanty ive already been called a racist..

Guess you cant see what the problem is.

posted on Jun, 7 2018 @ 01:40 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

Nah nah don't try to back pedal it now, you came in this thread that was about google and stated:

why because / racism?

The thread is about google not caring to pursue diversity and a couple of posters pointed one of the reasons why there's little diversity among the tech giants like:

Google, and other top tech companies simply state there are not enough minorities with the talent they need, but none of them actually recruit from historically black colleges, where they'd actually find qualified minorities.

BTW I'm still waiting on the data for this claim:

Because you said that

, so without objective data to back your beliefs (that women and blacks will sue you for firing them) I'm going to have to say you've probably got issues.

I'm bullied until high school and in white but I cant use that bullying as an excuse because I need to get over it. Why can everyone else use it an excuse?

I believe we pointed to bullying as the excuse the last time a kid walked into a school and started shooting other kids didn't we?

posted on Jun, 7 2018 @ 01:40 PM
link   

When I get home I will provide the data you ask for its only fair that I do it considering my often projected point of view.

Also this is a thread about racism. If you dont want to talk about racism then there is other topics. I'm not back pedalling.

Your just proving my point. I appreciate that.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join