It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President Trump Signs Major Veterans Healthcare Overhaul Bill Into Law - The VA MISSION Act.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 10:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed
In theory this sounds great, I'm going to reserve judgement until I hear from the vets if and when life has improved for them.

We'll be eagerly looking forward to your "judgements" in a couple of years.

My judgement is really irrelevant, the improvements will stand on their own merit.

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 11:00 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

This is excellent and honestly just makes Trumps character shine all the more.

The way the elite of this country used our Troops for their wars of aggression and then propped up a system that failed them at every turn has been absolutely horrendous.

Democrats and Republicans both maintained that s*** for decades, finally something has begun to change at the core pillars of corruption in DC.

Thank God for our military!

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 11:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

originally posted by: nwtrucker

Let's see what the left has to say now......I hear crickets...

If they were SMART and WISE, the Left would say, "God Bless our President, and God Bless America".

Why on earth would “god bless president trump and god bless America” be a ‘wise’ or ‘smart’ thing to say? God has nothing to do with causing my injuries and sure as hell isn’t doing anything to assist with alleviating them.

Piss poor planning and cocky brass over extending us, our equipment and ability to do our job properly? Yeah... those are just a few things that put me where I am today. I’ve been forced to use private health care for roughly 2 decades now because of bureaucratic bull snip and minimal time frames to get paperwork in or appeal decisions that leave us in the lurch with no options.

Trump isn’t doing a damned thing for me, not changing how I get medical treatment and with the amount of time to implement this being at least a year (which translates to 3-5 years in military time) isn’t going to save lives today. Its not going to get medication and psychiatric care for anyone tomorrow morning, it’s not going to suddenly stop suicidal ideations by vets who are in constant pain and can’t get pain medication because of some BS opioid crisis that in the end has the worst effects on those of us who actually need something to deal with constant pain but have to jump through multiple continuous hoops just to get something that’s barely stronger than ibuprofen.

This looks really nice on paper and makes for a great photo op, but it offers little more than lip service to those already bowing to their emperor. I enlisted when the first Bush was my CIC and served under Clinton as well and not one of them in the last 28 years since I enlisted on 7/08/90 has done a damned thing for vets so I’ll pass on thanking god for any POTUS doing the bare minimum to make it look like they’re doing something to helping. If your god were so benevolent sndnloving, There wouldn't be any need this legislation in the first place.

Nobody seems to want to stand up and question why we have 22.5 Be for the Zumwalt class destroyers yet we can’t keep promises to take care of the physically and mentally injured who swore to protect and defend the Contitution and gave and face and face until there was nothing resembling the men and women as they were prior to enlistment. It’s a joke and trumpeting this as some sort of huge win for vets..To me it’s mind boggling my insane.

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Many Veterans living in Asia that need assistance have to fly to the Philippines for hospital treatment. There is no overseas health care for disabled Vets in Asia, just only in the Philippines. Not sure if the VA pays for travel pay though. I'm speaking as an overseas Vet who found this out personally. Vietnam Vet, USAF.

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Promises kept!
Excellent Thread.

S&F

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 11:49 PM
link   
a reply to: peter vlar

Now that I assume you've finished venting, here's a little truth for you.The House committee on Veteran Affairs is your answer. The lowest priority committee for monies in our Congress. The reason? No lobbyists fattening up committeee members campaign funds. Period

www.facebook.com...

That's your link. Trump made the first move. Attention has now increased on the issue. Attention on the committee members will be vastly stronger. As well as allocations for the VA.

Nothing can be done any faster than it is. Maybe many more will suffer before a fix is fully in. I do know this, you can vent or you can help. If not for yourself and your buddies than for future Vets. Because if Trump fails, nothing will change. With him it might. IF he gets enough support. That includes you, sir.

Your call.

edit on 7-6-2018 by nwtrucker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2018 @ 12:25 AM
link   
This bill is a good thing for veterans. Myself included.

Glad its law.

posted on Jun, 7 2018 @ 12:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wildmanimal

Promises kept!
Excellent Thread.

S&F

Thanks. It's not a high-priority topic like the Stormy Daniels' saga, but a good VA system is important to many American families.

posted on Jun, 7 2018 @ 12:37 AM
link   
a reply to: nwtrucker

If denigrating my personal feelings which are based on my own first hand experiences with the VA, local veterans resources offices, Senators, Congressmen/women etc... by calling it a rant makes you feel better then I'm pleased to be of service. It's done more for you than Trumps lip service will to anyone I served with or any friends I have dealing with similar VA nightmares or the countless homeless vets, jobless vets, drug addicted vets, mentally ill vets and other vets who are considered unfit for working with the public.

I shouldn't need to beg the government to hold up its end of the bargain we struck when I signed my contract. I'm well aware of which committees in Congress control the purse strings. To imply that I should be grateful and get down on my knees and beg Herr Trump to do what is right and proper is an insult. I'm tired of explaining to my kids that I can't [play in the yard because my cane doesn't work well in mud or that I can't go on rides with them at the amusement park because I could become a tetraplegiac if the roller coaster whips my neck the wrong direction too quickly.

This is all crap that could have been dealt with in my 20's and would have prevented these issues from spiraling out of control. I held up my end of the deal and literally put my life on the line as a human shield to protect my squad as we walked the Mogadishu Mile but I should beg yet another president to honor their end of the contract? No thanks. I've been writing letters since the mid 90's, making phone calls and showing up at offices making a nuisance of myself because a young man who can barely walk makes a better visual impression than some anonymous guy in an email or hand written letter pleading for help, any help. I'm done with the false platitudes and BS responses that they will "Look into it because if my claims are true, a congressional investigation needs to be opened".

It's all, just like Trump's grand standing earlier, little more than lip service. It's a game of wait and see. We're going to be waiting and watching the body count rise while we see them do NOTHING because NOTHING is what they do best.

So tell me again.... why is it that I should be thanking anyone's god for trump or for that god to bless the good ole US of A? How about we take responsibility for ourselves, honor our commitments to our servicemen and women, stop playing World Police and use some of that military budget to deal with the issues at hand instead of blowing money on contracts that go nowhere (like the Zumwalt Class Destroyers).

So instead of begging on my knees for scraps, I'll do what I've always done. Help fellow vets on my own time and my own dime. At least I know that I can and will back up my words with actions and I don't need a photo op to make it real. You can't realistically expect people who have been screwed over for years or decades to jump up and applaud this. I'm not holding my breath for any changes that actually help anyone but will gladly admit my error if it turns out I'm wrong. I doubt either of us will recall this exchange in 5 years though because that's about how long any of this will take to actually implement if it ever happens

posted on Jun, 7 2018 @ 12:38 AM
link   
"Hurry up and wait."

All vets, including myself, know exactly what that refers to and its a shame that we settle on that as a way to cope with the VA.

Steps are at least being taken. Even Obama allocated billions to revamp the clinics and improve services. However, money isn't a cure all without effective and efficient leadership and personnel that are personally driven to execute their duties. That being said, more vets need to be hired to work within the VA system. Thats where you get your best, vested individuals who can relate and talk the talk. The civilian employees, (mostly from Guam and the Philippines it seems), are hardly there to do their jobs effectively, and are mostly chasing the 'American Dream.

I have extensive first hand experience with this, so don't go there. You'll waste your time giving me a PC study guide.

All vets (other than dishonorably discharged) regardless, should receive full, lifetime healthcare; when and where ever they need it.

I agree with peter, our military equipment budgets are in-f#kin-sane, and a small portion of our populace must suffer to maintain maximum profits.

posted on Jun, 7 2018 @ 12:41 AM
link   
a reply to: elementalgrove

One of the very special things about Donald Trump, is that he's not taking any of these actions to enrich himself, or to amass power, or favors, in Washington. When is the last time we've been able to say that about a President?

posted on Jun, 7 2018 @ 12:45 AM
link   

If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck....you know the rest.

No one said beg or get on your knees. It isn't Trump's fault. It isn't your fault and it isn't my fault. He's doing something as President. You call it lip service? When none before him did anything??

The President is only one branch of government. So what if it's small...in your eyes. If you want it all now or 20 years ago, for that matter, it ain't happening. Deal with it.

posted on Jun, 7 2018 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Perhaps you were drafted. If that's the case, you deserve the best lifetime medical care available.

Personally, I volunteered for the U.S. Navy. I humbly and thankfully accept the V.A. care that's available, and the monthly disability pension I receive. But I do NOT feel that they are OWED to me. Because, like I said, I volunteered to serve in the dangerous U.S. military. The elevated potential for Injuries and trauma come with the territory.
edit on 6/7/2018 by carewemust because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2018 @ 01:05 AM
link   

This was a huge reason I voted for him at the personal, selfish reasons level. As vets we do need to be taken care of properly. A lot of problems for a lot of people that NEED help and there isn’t any. We swore to America and the gov never did their end of the agreement. That number 22 a day is insane. Proof the Establishment sees patriots as dirt. I’ve lost 3 Marines just this year to suicides. Makes me so mad to see they don’t care. They could’ve found a way to give us universal coverage for anything at any hospital/clinic decades ago if they wanted to. We just need to take care of those who are in need. Those of us who are doing alright or better don’t need help but the care needs to be there for those who do need it.

Semper Fidelis Mr President!

posted on Jun, 7 2018 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Good on you for being humble and thankful for benefits you're ENTITLED to. However, let's say what your entitled to is underfunded, mismanaged, procedurally confusing and geared in such a way as to get you to disengage from the process...

Would it be fair to say that a sunny disposition of ENTITLED, would be exchanged for a disgruntled and humiliated OWED attitude??

That's ONE of many problems the VA hasn't fixed, and it's almost, if not actual SOP that they stall on everything or go cheap on services.

Volunteering for anything doesn't make one less of a human being deserving of compassion and some GD decency.

There's absolutely no excuse for any of it.

edit on E30America/ChicagoThu, 07 Jun 2018 01:17:35 -05006amThursdayth01am by EternalShadow because: edit

posted on Jun, 7 2018 @ 01:17 AM
link   
a reply to: 0311Warrior

This is a great day for my fellow vets. Finally a long overdue revelation in Veterans care that will cover so many downfalls of the past. Thanks Mr. President.

posted on Jun, 7 2018 @ 02:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Awww crap.

It'll be fun to see the Trump-haters hating all the vets now because Trump did something for them.

I think it is likely that they will point out that Trump may have signed the act, but that it was handed to him after having passed both houses with overwhelming bipartisan support - i.e. this is (literally) an act of Congress, so Congress, not Trump,is due for credit.

That is a narrative that both sides can get behind, since the bipartisan support lets all of them pat themselves on their backs.
edit on 7-6-2018 by DupontDeux because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2018 @ 08:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: DupontDeux

Awww crap.

It'll be fun to see the Trump-haters hating all the vets now because Trump did something for them.

I think it is likely that they will point out that Trump may have signed the act, but that it was handed to him after having passed both houses with overwhelming bipartisan support - i.e. this is (literally) an act of Congress, so Congress, not Trump,is due for credit.

That is a narrative that both sides can get behind, since the bipartisan support lets all of them pat themselves on their backs.

Yes, that's true. The option for non-VA care originated with Trump in his Presidential campaign promises. Let's face it, neither political party dared not pass that bill.

The term 'lip-service' has been used to describe Trump in this thread. The real 'lip-service' has been and is Congress. The evidence being the current state of affairs in the VA. Yes?

posted on Jun, 7 2018 @ 08:07 AM
link   
For those saying congress did it, let me ask this... since people have been fighting for VA reform for 30+ years why is this only happening now.

The choice program has been around for a bit, but it sucks, its hard to get approval and even harder to find a doctor willing to work with the program. (what I have been told by people using it)

When the system works its a god send to those that need it, to many VA hospitals are cesspools, and many many vets don't live near one so easier access to this program is long over due.

posted on Jun, 7 2018 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Awww crap.

Most of them already hate veterans, and the military in general.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join