It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

People have forgotten how to take care of themselves - Ignorance

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Other members are not the topic.

Do not reply to this post.

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 04:25 PM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

Communal kitchens sound awful. Reminds me of some parts of Asia like Singapore. Everyone is working so hard they hardly cook. Many people just buy takeout. Maybe the US is starting to go that route.

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 04:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

One of her friends had literally never seen an actual potato.

what a poor little bastard.

boxed flakes or no doubt yellow mcdonalds fries

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 04:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

Communal kitchens sound awful. Reminds me of some parts of Asia like Singapore. Everyone is working so hard they hardly cook. Many people just buy takeout. Maybe the US is starting to go that route.

I bet you that's the basis for this lack of knowledge

when do parents have time to teach anything and be parents anymore? we are the hardest working country on the planet and growing a garden might be therapeutic for some but a hassle for others

when do kids have the chance to learn real world skills when they have to study for the next exam? no time for work, business, personal development as is evident by todays society

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 04:31 PM
link   

I am an avid gardener and belong to several online gardening groups.

I dont neccessaly disagree with the idea that people ought to be more self sufficient and there are certainly people who dont have a clue. But...

Is it fair for an "Avid Gardener" to criticize others because they do not have the same passion for gardening that they do? Putting aside the utterly unless and clueless people for a second; we all have our differing passions and so we all have our differing abilities that follow those passions.

So its great that your good at gardening; but are you also an expert at all the other vocations we are going to need if SHTF? [Rhetorically] can you tune up an automobile that won't star? Can you fix and maintain a basic electric generator and power grid? Are you good at animal husbandry? Can you butcher animals? Do you have good people and leadership skills? Are you a doctor? Are you a field medic? Can you mix pharmaceuticals to make medicines? Do you know how to build a good shelter? And ect ect ect.

It is true in our busy modern lives we have all become specialized in certain vocations and not many of us can survive on our own with just our specialties ... but we aren't animals who live on our own; we have always been social and we have always had members of society who have differing skills ... and as we have become more and more specialized so too has health and the standard of living gone way up.

After SHTF it's going to be those people who can come back together and work as a society again who will survive the longest; not the loner mountain men. History has shown us this time and time again.

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 04:36 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

this thread about isn't important to us maintaining test scores for federal funding

Perhaps if you articulate yourself better, since when was learning how to grow ancient history? Why the snarkiness. Why not start your own thread about the school system? How have you contributed to the thread?

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 04:37 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

If you want to see where we'e headed look around the Mega cities of Japan.

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 04:41 PM
link   

a reply to: Bluntone22

YES! Exactly! When I go to the grocery store and buy anything remotely "exotic", you know like a bell pepper, I have to tell the cashier's what it is because most of them really don't know! Many kids have not seen vegetables in their whole form.

Yes.
Dont even take a cantaloupe . Too far out of their scope...

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 04:46 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

we are the hardest working country on the planet

Fact check. Its Mexico
blogs-images.forbes.com...

when do kids have the chance to learn real world skills when they have to study for the next exam? no time for work, business, personal development as is evident by todays society

So is it the test scores or the rate of pay for part time jobs for students? please clarify

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Good thread!Now you guys have made me want to go weed my tomatoes out.Got Mr Stripeys,some orange `maters,and german pinks.Nothing you get in a store is as good as home grown.Shame more young folks have lost touch with nature and growing your own food.

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Most folk now cant tell the difference between lettuce and cabbage .

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 04:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Yeah but it's a mistake only made once as they are definitely not interchangeable. Blech.

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 05:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: zosimov

The struggle is real! Two weeks after I had planted everything in my garden (and the very first day my green bean seeds were poking their heads out) a wicked hail storm demolished everything.

Still cleaning up shredded leaves, lol.

Great post!

I hadn't got my peppers or cucumbers planted yet, the dime to quarter size hail damaged my cucumbers in their growing pots outside here. It knocked a quarter of the leafs and the tops off the chili pepper plants too. I am glad they were not in the garden yet, I need to go buy some more cucumber plants. They may be hard to find though, I suspect lots of people had the same problem. My granddaughter lost a third of her plants that she was going to plant that evening. The ones she already planted were trashed completely.

I do think that they should teach kids gardening and cooking in school, they even got rid of Home-ec here, no more teaching the young to cook, it is all up to the parents now and most people are working all day, they buy prepared foods.

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 06:16 PM
link   

People have forgotten how to take care of themselves - Ignorance

But there is a bright side. My lady grows asparagus on her 1/2 acre and just leased another acre. She can't grow enough to satisfy all the yuppie restaurants in town. $$$

cuesa.org...
edit on 6-6-2018 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 06:37 PM
link   

People have forgotten basic knowledge about everything. From darning socks, to making clothing, simple blacksmithing, shoe repair, starting a fire without matches, how to slaughter an animal, how to forage, how to build a basic shelter...In short, we are a relatively helpless people without the basic knowledge that kept us alive for eons.

There's tons of causes, but the root of it is that we are overspecialized and under generalized. Sure there's guys out there who can tell you how to avoid paying taxes...but can they dig a trench so that their shelter doesn't get flooded? Can they patch the roof of a small shelter? Or even as mentioned in the OP: make potable water?

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 07:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight
a reply to: stormcell

Ikea setting the "pace"

www.gympietimes.com.au...

In years to come, we could lose one of the most important rooms in our homes. That's according to one of furniture giant Ikea's most senior Australian managers....
"In the future you may not need a kitchen because you can go to a communal area to cook and prepare your meals, or heat up your ready-made meal," she said.

Communal kitchens remind me of prison camps
er
"ready made meals" yep

In Paris they have accommodation called "studettes". These are flats in the top floors of old apartment buildings that used to be servant quarters. The bathrooms and kitchens are communal. In Canada, they have apartment blocks with communal washing machines but you risk having your apartment burgled if you forget to lock your door. HMO's in the UK are basically apartments that used to go to first-time buyer couples but are now rented out to international students instead. Then there are triplex and duplex units where owners share gardens. Given the chance, the property developers will try and cut costs anyway they can.
In Victorian days, British homes and apartment didn't have bathrooms. They had outhouses. It took several decades for the population to get used to the idea of indoor sanitation. The first step was to communal bathrooms on the mid-levels of common staircases. Then eventually they decided to convert half of the kitchen into a bathroom. London is so overcrowded that people are prepared to pay £800/week just for a bed and cupboard. Then they take great pride that London is a low-rise city.

In Medieval France the villages had communal ovens where residents could make bread for lunch. Given the time required to heat up a wood burning iron oven, it was resource effective to just have the one oven system.
edit on 6-6-2018 by stormcell because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 07:30 PM
link   
It is almost like they are planning this entire degradation. What is the best way to control people? Make them sick and immobile. Make it that they can't even work and have to apply for disability because they are too ill or large. Let people forget how to even cook basic meals from food that isn't pre processed poison.

Then you get people sick, immobile and dependent on the government and now is the time to fleece them. Create a medical system with a wonderful hippocratic oath just to ensure people think you are benevolent. Then you dumb down the entire medical system, including the practitioners, and bamb....instant profits.

You never cure anything and only hide the symptoms with pharmaceuticals as people get sicker and sicker. Cash cows. Repeat customers that never seem to get better.

If people actually grew their own food and relearned the process of cooking said food, 1/3rd of our economy would implode. Just imagine if cities/municipalities/counties started up their own massive greenhouses to produce food locally? How much would the federal government's power erode due to simple self sufficiency. You could even make these greenhouses off grid with even geothermal heating run through wind or solar energy for the pumps. Then even in colder climates, food could be produced year round.

My favorite evil idea would be to turn prisons into the 1600s. No electricity. No technology. They would be required to grow their own food and produce a surplus for the people that are paying to lock their A##s up.

But that will never happen. People are too lazy and uneducated. I simply try to point out how much of the pre processed fast food is poisoning people and even friends tend to get hostile. They look at me like I just kicked a puppy. It is like personal responsibility or the simple use of the brain is simply too much anymore. They cradle their energy drink and stockpile their microwave meals as if someone may actually encourage them to THINK!!!!

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Gardening is such a morbid activity, though...

Why I love it

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 08:37 PM
link   
a reply to: kelbtalfenek

Yes, this is what my post was about, not necessarily gardening, just all those little life skills that are almost extinct.

posted on Jun, 7 2018 @ 12:16 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm Maybe those skills are against globalists agenda. After all if you want to thin the population down, first lull people into relying on technology then withdraw it from the public. Maybe a EMP or solar flare. Large amounts of death because no one knows how to survive without electricity and the elite living well in theiir prepared places.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join