It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Miss America ends swimsuit competition

page: 29
<< 26  27  28   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 01:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: redmage

originally posted by: InTheLight
My calling here is to try and rid ATS of ignorance, a tall order, I must say.

A mirror would be the best place to begin your "calling", and yes, it is a TAAAAALL order.

It's not for you to say what my calling is, it is my say. Just as it's the pageants organizers to make the call, nobody else. You, however, are allowed to continue whining.

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight

I would have to say, given your posting in this particular thread, you seem to think you do...

Just out of curiosity, what's right about allowing children to be paraded slathered in makeup, dressed completely inappropriately for their ages, then judged for their beauty? Where I am coming from, that's creepy, and sick. So, imho, it would be right to get rid of them.

I have no dog in this Miss America thing. If good looking adult women want to walk around in swimsuits, as a male, I'm all for it. If they don't, I'm all for it.

Little kids young enough to be my grand kids? I have big issues, and would just as soon the whole child pageant industry not exist.

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 01:45 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Here in the UK we have a sport called darts. Normally played in a massive hall with loads off guys and gals boozing watching the game, they used to have pretty girls bring the players out etc but the governing body has put a stop to it. I saw an interview with one of the girls and she was gutted she was paid well and enjoyed it.
Out of a job now her choice to do it gone.

edit on 8-6-2018 by testingtesting because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 01:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight
Everyone has a choice to go the way that they know and feel is right.

Your's and others' conflation of "knowing and feeling" what is "right" is a large part of the problem, and it leads to situations like this.

Knowledge is rooted in facts and evidence while feelings are rooted in hormonal and chemical effects.

While it may feel good to allow transgenders to physically compete with those whom they identify with, knowledge of physiology lets us know that such competition isn't really the fair and correct choice.
edit on 6/8/18 by redmage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 01:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull

I would have to say, given your posting in this particular thread, you seem to think you do...

Just out of curiosity, what's right about allowing children to be paraded slathered in makeup, dressed completely inappropriately for their ages, then judged for their beauty? Where I am coming from, that's creepy, and sick. So, imho, it would be right to get rid of them.

I have no dog in this Miss America thing. If good looking adult women want to walk around in swimsuits, as a male, I'm all for it. If they don't, I'm all for it.

Little kids young enough to be my grand kids? I have big issues, and would just as soon the whole child pageant industry not exist.

Just pointing out that it you are for women not wearing swimsuits if they choose not to, then you are all for women doing whatever they think it right for them, all I am saying is so am I. We are in agreement.

I think this is a step forward at looking at how and why women are exploited and without action and opening up lines of communication, it will be more difficult for strides can be made for other people who are also being exploited.

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 02:14 PM
link   
a reply to: testingtesting

Not a lot of choice there, was there? I'm safe in assuming that those girls were adults? If so, it was their choice to be clad somewhat suggestively.

Just as the girls that work Hooters are adult women making a conscious choice. If it's a voluntary choice, and you are an adult--so be it.

I see nothing wrong with it.

posted on Jun, 10 2018 @ 03:37 AM
link   
Did anyone think about how devastating this will be for contestants. Ok now if they lose they can say well i lost because i didnt go to the gym or my bathing suit didnt look right for my body.

But now they replace it with a section that interviews you and judges your personality. So these poor women when they lose will quickly realize its not their body that sucks but their personality.

Wow that so harsh

edit on 6/10/18 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 08:07 PM
link   
very nice)

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Right or wrong not gonna judge LOL got two strong minded daughters that arent happy when guys think they are all fragile and breakable. That said it killed an industry overnight, and will be interesting what fills the void. Will former contestants be shunned, I always thought it was good because it taught discipline and hard work. Kept them busy and from getting in trouble at too young of an age gave them a goal something to work for. Think we are moving slowly towards hive mentality instead of individuality, conformity instead rebelling. Any time you do that it lowers the exceptional back to the common.

posted on Jan, 25 2019 @ 01:25 AM
link   

top topics

<< 26  27  28   >>

join