It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Miss America ends swimsuit competition

page: 19
<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 12:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight
In the meantime, women can and will define and redefine what beauty is within a beauty pageant, not your or anyone else.

And that "redefined" definition means absolutely nothing.

Biologically speaking, the only definition of beauty that matters is the one that attracts a mate. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so any self-imposed definitions mean absolutely nothing in the greater scheme of things.

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Japan got way better shows.

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 12:18 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

It's about the culture that is shifting.

Yes, shifting in the direction of total lameness.

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Not all, maybe that one does.

No, it's not just the Got Talent series from the current crop.

They all know what sells, and they all specifically feature humiliatingly horrible auditions because of it.

You've seen what they air on Got Talent.

How about X-Factor..

Maybe American Idol?

The current crop all feature the humiliation formula
edit on 6/6/18 by redmage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 12:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChaoticOrder

It's about the culture that is shifting.

Yes, shifting in the direction of total lameness.

The entire premise of the beauty pageant and swim suit contests are completely lame.

It may have been cool in a time like the 1950's when people were much more conservative about their sexuality in public, but this is 2018. Who needs a lame contest on tv when you can get anything you want on the internet for free?

Hell, spend a few bucks and hit a strip club. You can see it live in person and those greasy women will even rub up on you for a buck, after she rubs up against the sweaty trucker sitting next to you, of course.

That's why I find threads like this funny. People are complaining about feminists and PC culture taking over the US, yet we have never been more open about our sexuality and you can find whatever you want to satisfy your needs within minutes of your house, or seconds on the computer.

edit on 6-6-2018 by introvert because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 12:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: redmage

Not all, maybe that one does.

No, it's not just the Got Talent series from the current crop.

They all know what sells, and they all specifically feature humiliatingly horrible auditions because of it.

Well let's see if women who possess talents, accomplishments in humanitarian and other positive deeds in life and intelligence with beauty (inner and outer) in the new beauty pageants can sell it too.

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Stupid move. The swimsuit edition was to show how tight the girls' bodies were. Staying in shape was a goal to keep. But, eh, who cares now. Anyways, no quicker way to kill the show than to end the part a lot of people watched it for.

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 12:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thirty6BelowZero

Stupid move. The swimsuit edition was to show how tight the girls' bodies were. Staying in shape was a goal to keep. But, eh, who cares now. Anyways, no quicker way to kill the show than to end the part a lot of people watched it for.

I am sure they will come up with a new T&A show where all contestants need is a tight body...it's coming. In the meantime, a woman's beauty will be expanded beyond T&A.

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Well let's see if women who possess talents, accomplishments in humanitarian and other positive deeds in life and intelligence with beauty (inner and outer) in the new beauty pageants can sell it too.

Except for the fact that you're now displaying a sexist and regressive attitude by excluding male competitors from the equation.

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 12:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thirty6BelowZero

That does not seem logical. Why would someone watch a tv show just to see one section of the swimsuit competition, when you can see whatever you want, with or without swim suits, at the click of a mouse, without the need to watch the entirety of a lame beauty show?
edit on 6-6-2018 by introvert because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Except for the fact that you're now displaying a sexist and regressive attitude by excluding male competitors from the equation.

I am not excluding them, the pageant is for women. Men are free to start up their own pageant. What is stopping them?

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 12:49 PM
link   

I am not excluding them, the pageant is for women. Men are free to start up their own pageant. What is stopping them?

They do have their own pageants.

Very few people care.

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 12:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

They do have their own pageants.

Very few people care.

Really? I did not know that.

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Boy Scouts were for boys, and Girl Scouts were for girls. Such delineations are not acceptable to true progressives, and now girls are free to join the Boy Scouts.

Saying that, "the pageant is for women. Men are free to start up their own pageant. What is stopping them?" is very sexist and regressive of you.

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight

Precisely.

Though, I suppose, body-building contests could be considered to be beauty contests...sort of...kinda...if you squint a lot. Maybe?

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 12:55 PM
link   

That's just your opinion.

Bodybuilding contests show just as much, if not more skin (male and female). Are you against that too?

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Yes there exist pageants for men. Even for gays as well. Only women and gays care for that last one.

As for the men, if it's not body building, hardly anyone cares.

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Boy Scouts were for boys, and Girl Scouts were for girls. Such delineations are not acceptable to true progressives, and now girls are free to join the Boy Scouts.

Saying that, "the pageant is for women. Men are free to start up their own pageant. What is stopping them?" is very sexist and regressive of you.

Nobody is buying your point of view here.

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Nobody is buying your point of view here.

Your post is an appeal to popularity logical fallacy, and you don't speak for ATS.

So you don't feel that the progressive point of view is valid?

Or is it simply that you don't feel the progressive point of view is logically consistent?

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 01:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull

Precisely.

Though, I suppose, body-building contests could be considered to be beauty contests...sort of...kinda...if you squint a lot. Maybe?

Maybe to some people like those that work very hard at sculpting their body for competition (and I did weight lifting in my youth so I know the hard work it entails so for that reason I did watch body building competitions for a short while). But I don't consider only one facet of beauty, such as the physical, being the defining factor.

new topics

top topics

<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join