It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Miss America ends swimsuit competition

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 05:18 PM
link   
www.nytimes.com...

For the first time in nearly a century, Miss America contestants will not strut onstage in swimsuits this year, the organizers announced on Tuesday, as the pageant tries to redefine its role in an era of female empowerment and gender equality. Miss America and swimsuits have been synonymous since its first contest in 1921 on the Atlantic City boardwalk. But what started as contestants wearing one-piece bathing suits, conservative by today’s standards, became women in revealing bikinis and high heels parading around for a leering television audience.

The nine members of the board of directors — seven are now women — unanimously approved the change in March.

sure some people are gonna cry about this one but i say good.
i really dont know much about the competition save for the blurbs you see when miss bubblehead dont know what a map is or some #

im sure there are intelligent ladies as well. probably most awesome.
in the end i think this is a good thing. i really see no point in it other than that is how its been.

good change i say
edit on 5-6-2018 by TinySickTears because: (no reason given)

+11 more 
posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 05:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears
www.nytimes.com...

For the first time in nearly a century, Miss America contestants will not strut onstage in swimsuits this year, the organizers announced on Tuesday, as the pageant tries to redefine its role in an era of female empowerment and gender equality. Miss America and swimsuits have been synonymous since its first contest in 1921 on the Atlantic City boardwalk. But what started as contestants wearing one-piece bathing suits, conservative by today’s standards, became women in revealing bikinis and high heels parading around for a leering television audience.

The nine members of the board of directors — seven are now women — unanimously approved the change in March.

i really dont know much about the competition save for the blurbs you see when miss bubblehead dont know what a map is or some #

in the end i think this is a good thing. i really see no point in it other than that is how its been.

good change i say

Surely you are joking.

+19 more 
posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 05:22 PM
link   
TF? That was the only damn draw for watching it in the first place.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 05:23 PM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

surely i am not.

i always thought it was a weird thing to judge. even when i was a young, spry fella.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 05:24 PM
link   
I dont agree with this at all. If the competitors are happy wearing the swim suits, who are we to tell them not to. Wearing a swim suit is not illegal is it.

edit on 5-6-2018 by No Retreat No Surrender because: Formatting

+7 more 
posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 05:24 PM
link   
I've never watched the show, but I can't see how less swimsuits is ever a good thing, so I say "boo!" Let the cleavage and legs get some air, Miss America Pageant.

+5 more 
posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 05:25 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Everyone knows it's what's inside that counts. Like their kidneys, liver and heart. Show me those.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 05:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

nah

mah mah mah elephant man sounds!!!!!

+1 more 
posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 05:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears
www.nytimes.com...

good change i say

Pretty sure that's one of the only reasons this was ever even televised in the first place. Probably part of a total makeover for the whole pageant thing.

Never really got the point of pageants anyways. Taking away the swimsuit portion doesn't make it any more politically correct since the entire premise is built on parading women on stage.

I mean it almost seems like it's an auction for women....

Funny thing is, people who sign up for these things completely understand it has absolutely nothing to do with their brains. If it did, it would be the Miss America Debate.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Ah well - it was good whilst it lasted.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 05:27 PM
link   

5 bucks says in the 2nd year Mis USA puts Miss America out of business.

I could care less, but those who do, do.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 05:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: No Retreat No Surrender
I dont agree with this at all. If the competitors are happy wearing the swim suits, who are we to tell them not to. Wearing a swim suit is not illegal is it.

some have no problem.
others do

i would be interested in seeing how man women/men sat on the board over the years since the 20's when the contest started. now it is chaired by mostly women.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 05:29 PM
link   

The organization itself does seem to work on good causes, such as education, providing tuition for young women.

That is respectable.

The swimsuit competition did not really serve a respectable purpose. Sure, it gave the old men and goobers something to gawk at, but it did nothing to perpetuate the idea of empowering women and education.

So it's a good change, if that is what they choose to do.

Never paid much attention to it myself.

+6 more 
posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Surprised they didn't just go with this and keep it honestly....

Wonder when the ban on wearing bikinis on the beach in CA is going to happen at this point.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 05:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

If they had any brains, they wouldn't go on TV just to argue with each other either.

You call it "debate". I call it contention for its own sake.

Kinda like ATS.

+6 more 
posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Until they allow men to compete in the Miss America pageant, it's still sexist and should be protested and boycotted.

+11 more 
posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 05:33 PM
link   

So now it's the Miss SJW competition...

Political correctness is a polite form of tyranny.

For the record, I'm a female expressing this view.

Why don't they get rid of the whole "Miss" thing too, to make it more gender inclusive?

Then add animals... we don't need to be speciest, after all.

What a crock.... LOL

link   
America's bastion of discrimination is being more inclusive?

Did anyone watch hoping to see the latest emergence of intelligence and good will?

+5 more 
link   
So what's the line on this change "coincidentally" taking place right before an influx of muslim contestants enter the pageant?

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 05:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: VictorVonDoom
Until they allow men to compete in the Miss America pageant, it's still sexist and should be protested and boycotted.

No-one, I repeat, no-one wants to see some big moose-knuckle flopping around on stage in cyclist shorts, however, in the interests of gender-equality, maybe the blokes can wear mankinis like Borat?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join