It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Declaration of Freedom

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 02:54 PM
link   
If we expect to get anywhere we need to rethink our approach to government, healthcare, education and how the economy is structured.

Remove financial gain as a driving factor, and you'll see the quality of life in a civilization skyrocket. If everyone had a home, medical care, and all of the amenities with their choice in education and career with no financial factor involved simply for existing, then we would finally understand the concept of freedom.

This really is an age in which that can happen through technology, but only if we change our collective need for wealth. With the evolution of our technology reaching new heights we are beginning to discover the limits imposed on our lives being reflected through the failings of our political conflicts of interests.

We all reach out for more without realizing that what we have is more than we or our children could ever need. Through this fear, we teach our children the same belief through several generations breeding this driven desire to acquire more physical wealth until it became our sole desire.

This is our fault as a civilization, and we must first put this falsehood aside before we can accept the thought of everyone being equal. It is the root cause of the most despicable parts of our nature, and once people are no longer viewed as disposable tools we will finally understand who we can become.

Everyone deserves a roof over their head, and to be comfortable, safe, and entertained. To have a full belly, and to fall asleep free of the fears we assume are commonplace. To pursue art, education, happiness, and dreams.

For our children to never know these things, and to benefit every generation to come.

Gene Roddenberry had a beautiful dream about our future as a species, and it's that vision of the future in which our best hope lives. We simply must take heart, and summon up the courage that resides in each of us as children of a free nation.

In doing so we further the meaning of what it is to be free.

edit on 5-6-2018 by Knightshadowz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 03:13 PM
link   
We’ve already tried this in our inner city’s. Free housing, free medical, free food. Not quite the utopia you’d think! Thanx for playing, next.....

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 03:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: WUNK22
We’ve already tried this in our inner city’s. Free housing, free medical, free food. Not quite the utopia you’d think! Thanx for playing, next.....

you try living in that free housing, finding the limits of that free medical care, and trying to feed you family with that allowance of free food.

take all that energy you've put into being condescending and try learning about things before you spout off, mkay

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 03:18 PM
link   
I understand where you got this from, Star Trek, and I agree greed is horrible, however my question to you is this:

Who pays for it?

Who is responsible to ensure it happens?

How do you suggest it is to be implemented within the confines of the United States Constitution, where you are guaranteed to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness?

I do believe that people should have equal access to all that you stated, however that does not mean anyone else should be forced to pay for it.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 03:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimmley
I do believe that people should have equal access to all that you stated, however that does not mean anyone else should be forced to pay for it.

It would bother you to pay? Why?

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 03:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Knightshadowz

originally posted by: Knightshadowz
If everyone had a home, medical care, and all of the amenities with their choice in education and career with no financial factor involved simply for existing, then we would finally understand the concept of freedom.

There's already a large segment of American society living that dream - in their parent's basement. Utopia is a nice concept but if you remove competition, the drive to succeed goes out with it. Communism is incompatible with human nature.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 03:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: WUNK22

That's not the whole truth.

All of our services are paid for by taxes. The way we break down taxes each city/district is responsible for providing there own services.

The inner city poor are not paying taxes. Which means they recieve the worse services. They have the worst schools, the most underfunded police, and forget about parks and recreation.

Put a bunch of poor people together with inadequate services and not enough law enforcement and this is what should be expected.

It was not designed to succeed, so it did not.

However I do think the OP is bit overly optimistic.
edit on 5-6-2018 by Isurrender73 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 03:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: underpass61
Utopia is a nice concept but if you remove competition, the drive to succeed goes out with it.

Are you saying that without competition a person would lose the will to thrive? I don't believe it.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 03:46 PM
link   

If you remove the possibility of financial gain, economy, culture, and society will stagnate.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Great OP.

While I agree, I think humans aren’t ready for that yet. It’s going to take a huge paradigm shift to get away from the idea that we’re just cogs in a machine, where the goal is to work towards becoming a more valuable cog.

Actual freedom is scary to most people. Total freedom, is terrifying.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 03:52 PM
link   

If you remove financial gain you remove incentive to do your best or even to do a good job. You don't create equality by pulling others down to the level of the lowest common denominator.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 03:53 PM
link   
a reply to: AScrubWhoDied

Really? You've never heard of the "idle rich"? That's just one example, besides the unmotivated basement dwellers I already mentioned.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Sign me up!

I'm tired of working all the time!

I want a house with a pool, an indoor theatre system, one of those refrigerators that makes ice, a craftmatic adjustable bed, and steaks. Lots of beef.

I already have an awesome smoker/grill so we're cool there.

I want a nicer car.

And the free medical.

Now.

Well?

Where is it?

Gimme it now!

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Everyone deserves a roof over their head, and to be comfortable, safe, and entertained. To have a full belly, and to fall asleep free of the fears we assume are commonplace. To pursue art, education, happiness, and dreams.

First I have no idea where you are, but since this is a US forum, for the most part, I'll assume you are speaking about the system in the US.

These things sound great on the surface but in reality, it just won't happen. Why? Because of the human factor.

If a person knows they do not have to participate and it's all handed to them apathy takes over. Then those who are willing to do their share end up being held back and used by those people.

Somebody has to build that "roof over their head" and pay for it or do the work to create the materials to build that roof. Somebody has to build the roads, build and maintain the infrastructure and all that's part of the real world. Somebody has to grow the food and get it to them. Someone has to create the entertainment so they can be "entertained".

While people who contribute nothing themselves "pursue art, education, happiness, and dreams" others would by necessity have to do the work they don't want to do themselves to keep them housed and "entertained".

Great for the worthless among us who do not contribute but it would be a punishment for those who do the work.

You seem to be saying the rest of the world owes you a living just for existing. What if the rest of the world decided to just stop participating themselves? No food, no roof over your head, no useless degree that leads to no job because there would be nobody to teach you skills of no value.

edit on 6/5/2018 by Blaine91555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 04:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

If you remove financial gain you remove incentive to do your best or even to do a good job.

This isn't entirely true. For example: As a software developer money, and the desire for someone to make it often leads to projects being rushed and corners being cut. "We can fix it later in v x.xx, just get it ready to ship".

The near limitless number of open source repositories littered around the internet absolutely destroys this idea.

If you need money as an incentive to do your best, then it's a problem with self, no need to project that onto others.

A person that's doing something he/she is passionate about will do it with passion, despite the monetary incentives.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 04:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555

While people who contribute nothing themselves "pursue art, education, happiness, and dreams" others would by necessity have to do the work they don't want to do themselves to keep them housed and "entertained".

I think this is the core of why many people simply believe it can't happen. If you're doing something you don't want to do, then do something else.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 04:16 PM
link   
how about total separation of business and government and cut all the bull# taxes out

problem solved

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 04:18 PM
link   
a reply to: AScrubWhoDied

I am not going to pay for others not wanting to do for themselves, they are not my responsibility. Not to be confused that I do not help others when they are in need, I do believe they need to pursue their own success. I am all for everyone to succeed, however I am not going to pay for it, neither should anyone else.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Im from New York buddy, I know all about the welfare fraud that goes on daily. I speak from seeing it, go to the projects and see the sweet cars, go to the bodegas and see food stamps changed into cash. No back to your mommy’s basement with you!a reply to: fiverx313

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Remove financial gain as a driving factor, and you'll see the quality of life in a civilization skyrocket. If everyone had a home, medical care, and all of the amenities with their choice in education and career with no financial factor involved simply for existing, then we would finally understand the concept of freedom.

Like in Soviet Russia under Communism. No financial gain. Everyone has a roof, a job, free medical, free education, and food. And their quality of life was the envy of the world. Yay, freedom!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join