It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Compliments and just being nice...

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Down here in the South, we men still have manners and give a woman her due. She usually soends about an hour at minimum in front of a mirror, of course she wants a compliment. Women have an ego also. It pays dividens to to make a good impression also.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Down here in the South, we men still have manners and give a woman her due. She usually soends about an hour at minimum in front of a mirror, of course she wants a compliment. Women have an ego also. It pays dividens to to make a good impression also.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 08:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Mark08

Thank you

We should definitely love each other more

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 08:32 PM
link   

It is the way forward mate for sure

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 08:36 PM
link   
It's almost like America is becoming great again

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 08:41 PM
link   

America has always been great, I'm just hoping we'll be mates after we leave the EU.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 08:52 PM
link   
I have a very hard day time accepting compliments- I almost always deflect. But, it’s still nice when I receive them.

I’m trying to get better at giving them.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 09:17 PM
link   
I think ladies are always noticing each other: their hair, clothes, makeup etc. They are most likely to compliment one another-especially jewelry or a new engagement ring.

I think compliments mean more when they acknowledge someone's kindness, a special meal, thoughful deeds and courteous manners.

Words do matter. I hate to say it, but my exerience in life has been that most men compliment women for physical attractiveness usually done to receive a positive response from the woman. If a woman were to receive a compliment on her professionalism and intelligent thought, I would consider that a more true and sincere compliment.

Either way, a nice verbal exchange sure beats a rude one.

edit on 5-6-2018 by Justso because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-6-2018 by Justso because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 09:40 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Crap, someone's on to me!

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 09:41 PM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

Wow I've never heard it used that way. Totally serious. Sorry. I'll shuffle along my way.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 09:55 PM
link   
This is an enjoyable thread. CornishCeltGuy you sound like a sweet person!
I will compliment people often on whatever strikes me about them. 'Cool boots! I like your shirt. Awesome show!' etc
I'm female so it's easier for us to compliment guys without sending the creepy vibe. (I hope! lol)

ok.. I didn't know what 'cis' was either and didn't really care but finally caved and did the google. So for everyone else who is curious, I will save you the trouble

"cis
Short for "cisgender" (opposite of "transgender"), used to describe someone whose gender identity matches their anatomical gender at birth."

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 06:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: DictionaryOfExcuses

Wow I've never heard it used that way. Totally serious. Sorry. I'll shuffle along my way.

Haha yes, no need to shuffle along, us Brits use words like that a lot, almost terms of endearment, compliments if you like, blokes especially. I forget online sometimes, but 'you twat' can mean the same as 'you silly billy' to put it in a childish way.
I was next to a stranger at the supermarket the other day and he won £50 on a scratch card, I called him a jammy bastard (lucky person) and he laughed. I'd love to meet up with the Brits on ATS in a pub because the conversation would be so different compared to how we type our words.

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 06:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Starcrossd

Haha thank you.
I didn't know what cis was until recently either, it's hard to keep up with the pronouns these days lol
And yes, it's a thin line being male and complimenting women without seeming a creeper, I think because it is genuine and natural most women see it for what it is. I do actually find it easier to say to a guy (example) 'wow, love your ink mate, where did you get that done' or whatever because there is clearly no threat.
Strange times we live in, but I'm glad my 'real' life world isn't like the extremes we see on the internet where some women say men are rapists just for looking at them.
I shared an elevator with a woman in a spooky multi-story carpark the other day, I laughed at how creepy it was and she laughed back 'I'm expecting you to defend me if there's zombies when the doors open', I smiled of course.

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 06:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: chelsdh
I have a very hard day time accepting compliments- I almost always deflect. But, it’s still nice when I receive them.

I’m trying to get better at giving them.

I used to be the same, but an ex-girlfriend told me off about it lol so now I beam a natural smile and say thank you

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 06:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Justso
I hate to say it, but my exerience in life has been that most men compliment women for physical attractiveness usually done to receive a positive response from the woman.
Sadly that's often true, but any compliments from me are from the heart with no strings attached. Having a twin sister I like and notice 'girly' things so it comes naturally...sometimes people think I'm gay, but I'm not lol

...I missed the professionalism thing from the quote, but I do that all the time as well, and email 'head offices' often if someone has given me great service.

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 06:45 AM
link   

I feel like I've been Mandela Effected. Or.

Perhaps there's a cultural element at play - I'm in the states and the Pacific Northwest at that. Admittedly, it's not much better off than the midwest as far being in touch with "cool", especially where slang is concerned.

Plus there's Portland, where (I'm kind of not kidding) you're just not allowed to joke around like that. It's milksop-snob-chic-cry-bully to the weakened bone around here! At least that's what I've seen. Oh who am I kidding, that's one of many elements around here. One that's popular to hate on (I believe righteously). Maybe low-hanging fruit though.

TL;DR In my immediate environment, geographically and socially, twat--I feel like I've just typed the N-word--is regarded as "fightin' words".

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 09:05 AM
link   
a reply to: DictionaryOfExcuses

Haha I get ya!

It's definitely a Brit, and possibly Australian thing. I love some threads where there are a load of Brits in because the banter flows quite well and it feels comfortable using 'swear' words in that fashion. I've had some brilliant exchanges where I knew the 'twat' or 'wanker' line is not hostile, it's just banter.
Cultural differences is all, but in my parts if your mate isn't taking the piss out of you (teasing you) then you wonder what you have done wrong...it's Brit humour, blunt yet subtle at the same time.

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 04:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mark08

An hour in front of the mirror? Good Lord, someone needs to teach that kind of woman how to do her make-up and hair!

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 04:44 PM
link   
I always give compliments when I am out and about. It puts a smile on someone's face and brightens their day, especially if they are having a bad one. I love receiving compliments myself. I often hide how much physical pain I am in and a compliment on my dress or jewelry or whatever makes me feel better, if only momentarily and makes me smile.

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 05:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star
I always give compliments when I am out and about. It puts a smile on someone's face and brightens their day, especially if they are having a bad one. I love receiving compliments myself. I often hide how much physical pain I am in and a compliment on my dress or jewelry or whatever makes me feel better, if only momentarily and makes me smile.

Aww, i mask stuff with a friendly compliment as well.
The world needs more of it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join