It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Compliments and just being nice...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I compliment all the time, from pretty nails, to eye-shadow, genuine compliments when I see something beautiful so I've never had a reaction like I'm some creepy early 40's bloke.
Anyway, I had one myself today and made me smile. I was at the building society (like US credit unions) today, and the girl who served me said she loves my new hair lol, haven't seen her since last year, and I stopped shaving my head in November, didn't realise I had so many hairs per square inch haha, but I've got this lovely wavy thick hair which I love.
And I totally loved her compliment!

Mad thing is I complimented her colleague's nails last week, absolutely gorgeous, gold, with a silver glitter hint lol, she smiled and said it cost her a few quid.
Whatever, how cool is it when we are nice to each other as humans without worrying that we should be professional?
Maybe a small town thing, but should be universal.

...not sure of the point of this thread, maybe just a smile about basic human interaction being nice

edit on 5-6-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: clarity

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 01:32 PM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

It's Nice to be Nice.

Nice thread.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 01:40 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

Yes

She did drop into the conversation that her boyfriend is a scaffolder though lol
That made me smile as well.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Damn... I need to get my nailz done!

Holla!

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: six67seven

Her workmate has gorgeous nails, and full on beautiful ginger hair....if only I was 20 years younger lol

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Get a hair cut!

Damn hippies.

Oh yeah. Get off my lawn too!
edit on 562018 by TerryDon79 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 01:49 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryDon79

LMAO!
When twenty something's say "Oh I love your hair since you've grown it" I'm not changing anything lol

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 01:50 PM
link   

You were sporting a ‘chrome dome’ (shaved head)? Just because?? That’s baller, if so!

Regarding compliments, it’s a tricky internal dialogue/proposition for an American cis-male. Really, it’s a legit conversation here in The States — I was on Federal Court jury duty last month and we had a lot of time to discuss everything but the case (they should’ve let us go home after the first day...US Attorney wanted some practice, I guess) — do I nicely comment because I’m prone to episodes of stream-of-consciousness that just come out, or do I say nothing for fear of being accused of cat-calling/misconduct/assault? The Morgan Freeman BS was it for me.

Good luck with your comportment in handing out compliments, if it’s as a slippery slope in the UK, I feel for ya.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 01:55 PM
link   
a reply to: BeefNoMeat

Compliments are normal in my world.
It saddens me when I read it is not the same for other folk.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 01:59 PM
link   

cis-male

Part of the problem is using the Progressive fake words. If you are a straight male just say so instead of perpetuating the labels of PC culture.

In the spirit of the thread let me compliment you on your heterosexuality.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 02:02 PM
link   

I admit I'm actually not comfortable complimenting a female on her appearance in public 95% of the time.

I already have enough problems and I don't need some nutcase freaking out screaming at me that I'm harassing her or something. The best I'll give them anymore is "I like your shoes".

If I go any further than that I'll be really discreet and first mention my kids or something so they'll at least subconsciously recognize that I'm not actually hitting on them. Or I'll preface with "as a friend I'd like to say..." or something like that.

I love complimenting people so I gotta say I'm disappointed that I have to manipulate people just to do it "safely" without any negative repercussions for being "nice".

Sigh... stupid society...

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 02:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

I agree, CIS male is toxic these days, but I try to carry the flag and continue complimenting lol
It was nice getting a compliment off a fit 20 something girl today though

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 02:04 PM
link   
a reply to: muzzleflash

If you want to compliment a female I have found complimenting her smile is the best way to go. Few people get upset when it isn’t a body part comment.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 02:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

cis-male

Part of the problem is using the Progressive fake words. If you are a straight male just say so instead of perpetuating the labels of PC culture.

I don't use any of those words.

If I meet someone who does my red flags start going off and I start looking for an escape route immediately.

I don't want anything to do with people that judgmental and uptight.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 02:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

If you want to compliment a female I have found complimenting her smile is the best way to go. Few people get upset when it isn’t a body part comment.

That would be funny if she wasn't smiling.
I bet she would smile like "wha??", hahahaha.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Isn't it sad we sometimes feel afraid to compliment other people these days, crazy world.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 02:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy

I agree, CIS male is toxic these days, but I try to carry the flag and continue complimenting lol
It was nice getting a compliment off a fit 20 something girl today though

We older guys take what we can get. I was thrilled when my 40ish family doctor called me a ‘young guy’ during my last visit. She made my day.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 02:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy
a reply to: TerryDon79

LMAO!
When twenty something's say "Oh I love your hair since you've grown it" I'm not changing anything lol

That’s a fair point.

Damn hippy.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 02:08 PM
link   

If a female compliments me (which is rare), I'll usually make this fake sarcastic hipster valley girl voice and say "Are you harassing me?" but then look right into their eyes and laugh so they'll know immediately that I'm just jokin around.

Hahahha

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Lol yes

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join