It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When Guns Are Sold Illegally, A.T.F. Is Lenient on Punishment.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 12:27 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

I've never read/heard that before, we have something similar for the CID which stands for Criminal Investigation Department or also known as C---- In Disguise, they are the plains clothes officers of the uniformed police.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 12:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: loam
a reply to: joemoe

Your point?

The regs are almost entirely 'clerical' in nature. That is the point. Why have the regs at all if they can be ignored and selectively applied?

How do you know that they were ignored or selectively applied? That seems like an assumption on your part. I cite an example from a number of years back Well before the electronic log system was even planned. The Federal DOT would do inspections of the driver's logs, especially in the big companies.

They'd find violations, especially when the company has thousands of drivers. The total fines would add up into the high hundreds of thousands of dollars. The DOT would leverage those fines into Corporate agreement to place GPS systems in place which recorded fueling locations and times along with pick-up and delivery points and times. If they did so, the fines would be 'forgiven'. In that wise, far stronger controls were implemented without official or mandated backup.

I use this example to point out a similar methodology could be in play here with the ATF. We just don't know. Gov'ts tend to make use of leverage, don't they?.....

edit on 5-6-2018 by nwtrucker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 12:35 PM
link   
The government only wants to take guns from regular people. It doesn't do them any good to take guns away from the people they are helping traffic in illegal firearms.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Title should say

"government is illegally classifying guns as illegal and trying to reduce the right to ownership with as many loop holes around the constitution as possible, up to and including propaganda like this article, enjoy"

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 02:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Kurokage

Just like I don't believe dealers get their license intending to flood the area with illegal guns, I don't think ATF wakes up every morning thinking "Who can I burn today? Who can I put out of business?" Of course if you are against guns generally, maybe this is how you feel they should approach the situation.

They try to guide the industry to compliance with the laws. They don't want to take a license unless they have to. Look at another govt agency: OSHA. They have an important life saving job. They encounter numerous violations almost everywhere they go. Some businesses are worse than others, some violations are serious, some careless mistakes. They don't have the goal to shut business down. They encourage compliance with the law. If every regulation everywhere was enforced to the fullest extent of the law, this country would be destroyed. Sometimes better to take corrective action and save the heavy handed stuff for those won''t cooperate.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Who governs the penalties ?
The ATF ?
I dont think so.....
And , I would be thinking correctly .
As opposed to some folks...

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 05:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: loam

Of about 11,000 inspections of licensed firearm dealers in the year starting in October 2016, more than half were cited for violations. Less than 1 percent of all inspections resulted in the loss of a license.

That is pretty unacceptable.

Who were doing these inspections.

I know a few dealers and know how these inspections work.

You can have 1 ATF agent tell you one thing as a dealer and the next ATF agent cite you for following the first agents instructions.
then in many states you have state agents turn around and tell you that you are doing it wrong on book work for the ATS.
In calif its the state DOJ agents.
Also you can be cited for violations and go up the chain of command at the ATF and have the violation cleared but its still many times left on the books at the ATF as a cleared violation not as a non violation.

The only government agency that is as bad as the ATF is the mine safety administration for citing people for BS violations As many of there inspectors are even worse trained. an d many of the ones i have had run ins with were not trained and had never been in the types of mines they were inspecting.
I have had mine safety administration that were trained to inspect coal mines and were doing hard rock gold mines and did not know what they were talking about. And in calif we are also inspected for the same rules by calif state CALOSHA and many times they read the federal mine safety laws compleaty differently then the FEDs.
edit on 6-6-2018 by ANNED because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 05:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
Who governs the penalties ?
The ATF ?
I dont think so.....
And , I would be thinking correctly .
As opposed to some folks...

First the ATF but they can be overridden by the courts in a administrative hearing.
The administrative law judge has the final say but it will still stay on the ATF books as a citation.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join