It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is This China's Dark Sword Stealthy UCAV?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 01:50 PM
link   
a reply to: mightmight

Thanks for the heads up on the "loyal wingman" approach.
I don't know about air combat, but I do know on the ground, even though you are part of a team, it is a lot of "every man for himself". To say it gets hairy would be a gross understatement. I could not imagine any else going on in the air.
You can coordinate with the team but still ...
edit on 6-6-2018 by tinymind because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 01:56 PM
link   
a reply to: mightmight

If this UAV is indeed some type of loyal wingman for the J-20 you wouldnt put it on a carrier, since the J-20 itself is not carrier capable.

There are some scenarios where a shorter ranged UAV on a carrier could be paired to a long range, land based fighter, but they're not likely, IMO.

Generally, speaking, I agree.

The question is "what is this for?"

If its VSTOL, it's probably for the STOBAR carriers and/or from forward positions.

OTOH, it may not be vstol at all.

OTGH, we don't even know if the flight photo is even real and this could be just a "small" group working on an X Plane.

The only likely scenario for carrier basing is if this is planned to be paired with a carrier based aircraft. The J-15 seems like a poor fit and the VSTOL hasn't broken cover. J-31 mockups have been seen on the land based carrier mockup for clearances and whatnot, officially at least, the PLAN and PLAAF have stated they are not interested in the J-31.

All I can say with certainty is we just don't know much and she's a purdy birdie.

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: tinymind
Yes i agree.
Its all fun and giggles, works perfectly with a software solution for every problem – right up to the point of actual combat.
I know many will disagree, but I personally don’t believe the new and shiny *networked* approach to air combat will work out in a high intensity environment.
Against a second or third rate enemy, sure, the F-35 with whatever assets alongside can go out and obliterate the enemy more beautifully than ever before.
But against someone who can fight back effectively, across the entire spectrum?
It can get rather lonely when you’re up 50000 feet fighting your adrenaline at 900mph over an endless ocean with 10mins to bingo.
Trust the software, it’ll all work out.

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 02:58 PM
link   
a reply to: anzha

i wonder if those canards are retractable.... with them inside it looks like HTC-3 kind of.

i wonder if this is 'inspired' by 'found' american blue prints.

cool model nonetheless, i'm an equal opportunity aircraft lover.

ETA: MM one of the strengths of Loyal wingman would be to have your own remote sensors and EW drones that could run SEAD operations and at least it could be used as a decoy that would emit a signature or multiple signatures that would confuse and overwhelm SAM sites and air defence systems and other aircraft so the manned platforms could do what they need and get out of there.

imagine if you could have a drone fly along with you and when you start getting closer to the target that one drone had a very high dash speed with the ability to transmit false radar returns and allow you or another drone to destroy the threats or at the very least ID where and what they are.

having a few different types of drones with you and under your control would have TONS of uses.
edit on 6-6-2018 by penroc3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2018 @ 04:25 PM
link   
www.janes.com...

Jane's think at least the mockup is legit. it might not be a mockup.

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 02:34 PM
link   
a reply to: anzha

WIB chimes in.

warisboring.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join