It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Statues. . . the new hate speech

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2018 @ 09:41 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

and, I still think that that law is wrong....
my point is though, unless I live in that state, it doesn't matter what I think, am I right?
if my state decided to come up with a similar law, then I could, if I chose, come together with others who felt it was wrong, even if they had a different logic as to why they thought it was wrong and organize in ways that will use democratic means to convince the lawmakers to change with their minds on the issue.
but then if they came up with a law that forced the communities to remove them, I would still be against the decision, because my opinion on this has absolutely nothing to do with the issue of the statues, but rather, the right of communities to decide what should any shouldn't be in their own parks... hey, if the majority living in your community want the danged statues, that's fine by me, let them follow the democratic processes available to make their voices heard and well, their representatives should be listening to them.... not to any outside forces who they aren't representing...
but if the whole danged community wants the thing out of there, regardless of why they want it out of there.... there is no way in heck that I think that some outside force, be it a mob of separatists or a higher level of gov't that should force them to keep it in their park, should they?
as it is, I imagine that in any community, we are gonna have some for and some against, just like we do with any issue, and someone will be disappointed. unless you can come up with a better form of government, it seems to me that we have to accept that we don't win everytime, and be happy that we have the voice if we choose to use it. one thing that I know for sure, if it comes to which group has the most money to pay a thousand or so people to come into the community to face off the thousand or so who are paid by the other group, and which group is more terrifying as the battle goes foreward on the streets...
then the community, the ones who are using those parks the most, will be the biggest losers!!!

posted on Jun, 9 2018 @ 10:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: SprocketUK

It's really not comparable, but I'll give it a shot here.

Perhaps instead of tearing it down and erasing all evidence of Saville, additional signs could be posted on or near the memorials to educate and illuminate what he really was.

I see a big problem when society in general chooses to erase information, hide information instead of educating and illuminating.

Knowledge is power. And all we're doing is disarming ourselves and denying ourselves a wealth of information all under the guise of offense.

Interesting thought! I wonder if there are any statues or plaques of Jerry Sandusky at Penn State...

posted on Jun, 9 2018 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Enderdog

Good point!

They bury and hide disgusting aspects of the past!

posted on Jun, 9 2018 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: crtrvt

So you say... But that's not what will happen. Forget where we've been and we're doomed to repeat the cycle, endlessly.

posted on Jun, 9 2018 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

Ignore them? No. Of course not. However, realize this, that not all people who support peoples rights to fly that flag, and the one's who fly it, are neo-nazis, racists, or what ever bogey man of the day is chosen.

Decry the ones who use to promulgate their hatred. Leave the ones who don't alone. Surely we're smart enough to do that, or are we so sensitive, or so apt to react in a knee-jerk fashion, that we can't? Or is it won't, because that's too hard?

posted on Jun, 9 2018 @ 02:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Enderdog

Seems unlikely, doesn't it?

posted on Jun, 9 2018 @ 03:29 PM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

and, I still think that that law is wrong....
my point is though, unless I live in that state, it doesn't matter what I think, am I right?

No, you're not 'right.' As a matter of fact, I don't see how you could be more wrong. You claim to be against a law that does exactly what you claim you want.

Again, I have seen this tactic before; it's not fooling anyone. If you want to see all traces of my culture and history removed, just come out and say so. It's OK, really. You have the right to have a different opinion than me, and I already know your real position. You gain nothing by trying to hide it.

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 9 2018 @ 04:26 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

don't tell me what I want please....
you have no idea what I want...
and no, your state law does not do what I want... I want each community to have control over what is or isn't within their community parks... that to me is freedom!! if the state loves their statues so much, hey, they got their own park systems that they have the right to control over what is or isn't within them.
but, that being said....
it really doesn't matter what I think of your stupid state law because I am far from your state, see no reason to visit your state, and quite frankly could care less what your state does as long as it doesn't result in a bunch of refugees coming to my state to escape your state's tyrannical rule!!!

as far as my community though, we can solve our own disagreements, even when it comes to what statues are in our parks, we most certainly don't need hundreds of people flocking in from the four corners of the country and beyond trying to force their opinion down our throats... so don't bother coming and sticking your noses where it doesn't belong...

posted on Jun, 9 2018 @ 08:35 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

I've always thought that combatting what the statues represent would be best served by adding to the statues instead of removing them. Place signs, even other statues describing what they represent.

Man, hell no. Most if not all of this "Southern Pride" is misplaced racism plain and simple. Germans and Jews don't have to walk around looking at crap Nazi sympathizers tossed up do they?

Why in the hell do black and white people have to walk around being reminded about southern douche-bags that wanted slaves to the point that they went to war for it? They lost, get over it.

a reply to: SprocketUK

When all this started kicking off, there were lots of reports online that said the statues that were removed weren't actually memorials to the rebels but were in fact put up in the aftermath of the changes to the racial segregation laws in the '60s.

Facts. Mostly erected by United Daughters of the Confederacy.

posted on Jun, 10 2018 @ 12:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

originally posted by: turbonium1
The Confederate flag represented almost half of Americans, back then.

Attacking that flag as a symbol of neo-nazi white racism, and glorifying black slavery, or hatred of all non-whites, is nonsense.

Witch-hunting.

So, we should ignore the fact that Neo-Nazis and white supremacist groups use the Confederate flag as an emblem?

Why?

What if the neo-nazis and white supremacist groups decided to use another flag, such as Iceland, as their 'emblem' of white power? Do you think Iceland's flag should be banned forever, because it represents neo-nazis, and white supremacists?

Both flags have never symbolized neo-nazis and such groups. One flag is, one flag could be, used in such a way.

It doesn't mean we should ignore it, but the most important thing is not to tarnish a flag that represented almost half of the American people, who fought and died under that flag, while their own brothers fought and died under their own, Yankee flag, which now represents all Americans, in 'freedom'.

To me, this seems to be a very deliberate plan, slowly and steadily implemented. Not that neo-nazis or such groups don't use the flag as a symbol, of course, but only the KKK used it in similar ways, over the decades.

Do you recall, or know about, all the front page headlines, and photos, which said 'Local KKK burn flags on several front yards, over 'negro' neighborhoods?

They didn't say the flag should be banned, forever, as a symbol of white supremacist groups. The flag burnings were mild, compared to other horrific acts. of course.

Compare today, with that era. Compare the outcry against the southern flag, and southern leaders, which we see today, against the outcry against the same things, back then.

Those who are demanding the Confederate flag be banished forever, because it is the worst, most evil, sinister flag. Nearly as evil as the Nazi flag, the swastika. It wasn't an evil flag for half of America, because it was NOT an 'evil' flag, or a symbol of white supremacy. The Confederate flag has often been used, that is, been compromised, over and over again, for well over a century. It should never be done, of course, so what I'd like to see is raise the COnfederate flag up, as it once was, to show RESPECT for the Americans who died under that flag, fighting their own families, who also died in the war. Just that, alone, should have been respected, and remembered for what the flag represented, to half of the American people. This is not a flag of skinhead goons.

This is - no matter how you see it - an American flag, of our ancestors. It will always be an American flag.

When I see people talk about how the flag should be banned forever, from display, in any way, shape, or form...they have no clue. And thanks to years of mass media mind-planting, nobody even thinks of it as an actual American flag, anymore.

I''m not from the South. And my 3x great grandfather fought for the North, also.

I have great respect for the South, the Southern flag also deserves our respect.

Simply understanding that this is an American flag puts it in another light.

posted on Jun, 10 2018 @ 01:39 AM
link   
a reply to: cenpuppie

Well, one thing this discussion has achieved... the racists are showing their true colors.

TheRedneck

<< 4  5  6   >>

join