It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Statues. . . the new hate speech

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 07:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: SKEPTEK

originally posted by: RowanBean

originally posted by: SKEPTEK
So when are they going to be taking down the statues of plagiarizing, womanizing cheater MLK Jr?

A womanizer vs a traitor.

Hmmm. Hard choice.

Traitor?

You mean like Obama?

So remove your avatar.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Meanwhile, Native Americans sit back and smile, Watching the White man and Black man fight amongst themselves, both speaking with forked tongues.

Biding their time, until the Red Man can, once again, reclaim his home............

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 08:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: gort51
Meanwhile, Native Americans sit back and smile, Watching the White man and Black man fight amongst themselves, both speaking with forked tongues.

Biding their time, until the Red Man can, once again, reclaim his home............

They lack the numbers.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 08:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sublimecraft
Hey - 'feelings', they're the new 'facts'........

ISIS also is obsessed with removing history that contradicts their fantasy.

It's funny that you mention that since the same group was behind Deash is also the same group behind these people wanting history to be rewritten.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 09:36 PM
link   
No monument is ours to take down.
We didn't build them or pay for them.
Generations before thought enough of them to want them remembered for posterity.
Posterity is showing us the best of who they were and the sacrifices they made.

It's a monument to an American - North or South doesn't matter.
The Civil War was a sectional war for control of the Federal government, started by politicians and fought by everyone else.
These were all Americans fighting for their home and state which was their country.
Condemning the soldiers is refusing to accept Southern Americans the same as any other.
It's a bias still breathing today.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 09:52 PM
link   
If the statues are indeed from the civil war era put them in a museum where they belong with other artifacts of American history. History absolutely must be preserved.

What you are all screaming about is the removal of statues and monuments erected in the 20th century to celebrate the end of Reconstruction, they are Jim Crow statues to celebrate white supremacy. Cry all you want about it, and color me surprised to find a non Fox news viewer under 60 who could care less about them coming down.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 10:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: crtrvt
If the statues are indeed from the civil war era put them in a museum where they belong with other artifacts of American history. History absolutely must be preserved.

What you are all screaming about is the removal of statues and monuments erected in the 20th century to celebrate the end of Reconstruction, they are Jim Crow statues to celebrate white supremacy. Cry all you want about it, and color me surprised to find a non Fox news viewer under 60 who could care less about them coming down.

If this is how you justify censoring something that offends you, then I feel sorry for all those "under 60" non-Fox viewers.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 10:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

Good point Re ISIS removing statues and architecture - the radical Muslims have been doing that for years, at different locations around the Middle East. They relentlessly destroy historical artifacts and lands. This is a walk in the park for them...

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 12:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: crtrvt

They have zero to do with reconstruction or white supremacy.
Further, they are not "speech" of any kind.
These are monuments, not just "statues".
Try reading about what these people did to deserve these memorials.
They sacrificed life and limb for their country.
Some consider that an honorable act.
edit on 5-6-2018 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 03:40 AM
link   
Meh. Most of these statues were constructed in the 20th century as a means to intimidate minorities. Build your own memorials on your own private property, visit the ones put in museums, no one is stopping you snowflakes. No one is rewriting history, folks just no longer feel the need to honour racist traitors with public shrines. Times are a changing.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 03:58 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

I've read Mein Kampf. Books are different, you can actually learn things from them.

Why protect a statue put up by someone who was angry at black people and white people not being segregated though? What purpose does it serve?
I mean, I could understand wanting to protect an actual monument to the fallen in the Civil War, but these statues aren't...are they?

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 04:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Classrode
a reply to: Sublimecraft

Good point Re ISIS removing statues and architecture - the radical Muslims have been doing that for years, at different locations around the Middle East. They relentlessly destroy historical artifacts and lands. This is a walk in the park for them...

Hell yeah! Cheap statues constructed in the 20th century by racist white women inspired by "Birth of a Nation" are just like 1,000 year old statues of the Buddha.

🙄

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 04:53 AM
link   

They aren't being torn down and smashed to pieces they are being taken down carefully and moved, well 98% of them are, there's one case where a mob tore down a confederate solider outside a courthouse.

Fact is, these statues were on public land being paid for by tax payers and most people in today's world did not like seeing them because of what they represented after the southern states revised their education system to teach the truth. An unbiased (more less so) lesson to teach kids, not just "war of northern aggression" BS.

At the end of the day this is not even close to on par as burning books, books that are controversial can be found where they belong in a book store or a library, or private collection. You want to go look at a statue of R.E.Lee go to a museum.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 06:14 AM
link   
I am not even concerned about statue removal anymore. To me it just proves things change over time. I can guarantee that this will change again in the next 500 years when statues/monuments are no longer seen as useful. Why? Hopefully because we will have moved past the idea of needing a monument or a statue to honor or remember something.

Just my take on it.
edit on 5-6-2018 by WarPig1939 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 06:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
Would you burn, "Mein Kompf"?

No, but it certainly wasn't the must read beach book of the year like Fitty Shades of Crap was.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 06:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: DBCowboy
Would you burn, "Mein Kompf"?

No, but it certainly wasn't the must read beach book of the year like Fitty Shades of Crap was.

Black sea resorts, circa 1937 it probably was

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 07:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: SprocketUK

I've read Mein Kampf. Books are different, you can actually learn things from them.

Why protect a statue put up by someone who was angry at black people and white people not being segregated though? What purpose does it serve?
I mean, I could understand wanting to protect an actual monument to the fallen in the Civil War, but these statues aren't...are they?

Why protect speech that might be insulting?

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 07:57 AM
link   
On UK TV this morning they had a young black girl being interviewed and she said "I don't see the problem with changing history to make it more inclusive".

Says it all really....

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 08:03 AM
link   

The point is, these statues just aren't historically or culturally important in the streets. Are they?
There are plenty of statues over the years that get removed because they don't have a purpose or meaning.
If these were actual Civil War commemorations, then I would agree with you. They aren't.

Do you think that every single statue someone erects in a town ought to stay there, exactly where they put it without ever being moved, replaced or anything, forever?

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 08:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: DieGloke
On UK TV this morning they had a young black girl being interviewed and she said "I don't see the problem with changing history to make it more inclusive".

Says it all really....

Unbelievable.

I am, as the brits say, "gobsmacked".

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join