It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Statues. . . the new hate speech

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+16 more 
posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 06:31 PM
link   
abcnews.go.com...

Some remnants of the Confederacy have been removed from prominent U.S. cities and locations to great fanfare, like the removal of the Confederate flag from the South Carolina statehouse grounds after the Charleston church mass shooting in 2015.
In other cases, as in Baltimore, city officials last year removed several confederate monuments in the dead of night.
All told, according to a new report from the Southern Poverty Law Center, at least 110 monuments and other tributes to the Confederacy have been removed across the country since a white gunman killed nine people at historic Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church three years ago this month.
Despite those removals, however, more than 1,700 monuments, symbols, dedications and other tributes remain, according to the Alabama-based Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC), which monitors U.S. hate groups.
That does not include references to the Confederacy at battlefields and in museums and other places determined to be historical in nature.

It's always been my contention that tearing down statues is akin to book burning.

Now some will say that they are not knocking down all the statues, and to that I'd say that they aren't burning ALL the books either.

I've always thought that combatting what the statues represent would be best served by adding to the statues instead of removing them. Place signs, even other statues describing what they represent.

Some have accused my of loving confederate statues and what they represent because I am against them being torn down. This is far from the truth in that all I want is MORE free expression, not less.

We don't fight hate with silence. With censorship. We fight it with more speech, more talk.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 06:38 PM
link   
I could be way off the mark here. If I am, then apologies for messing up your thread.
When all this started kicking off, there were lots of reports online that said the statues that were removed weren't actually memorials to the rebels but were in fact put up in the aftermath of the changes to the racial segregation laws in the '60s.

If that is the case, then I can't see the problem with removing them, since they weren't actually erected for a clean purpose, but rather state legislatures sticking up two fingers to the Federal government.

+8 more 
posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Hey - 'feelings', they're the new 'facts'........

ISIS also is obsessed with removing history that contradicts their fantasy.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 06:43 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Don't like history? That's fine, we'll make up our own!!

There is no right to not be offended.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Cry all you want, society is evolving, people are moving on and the only ones who care about these statues were probably alive to witness them all being erected.

+4 more 
posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 06:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: crtrvt
Cry all you want, society is evolving, people are moving on and the only ones who care about these statues were probably alive to witness them all being erected.

That exact attitude is the reason we don't evolve.

+8 more 
posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Evolving? Care to elaborate how becoming more and more sensitive and mentally weak is evolving?

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 06:55 PM
link   
1,700 remaining. Wake me up when they remove all of them.

+4 more 
posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 06:56 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Because of all the nonsense associated with this issue, Alabama passed a law that protects *ALL* historic Memorial statues from being torn down by a city, town or municipality.

Alabama Memorial Preservation Act

How's that for an entire state smackdown of the politically correct class?

LOL!!

edit on 6/4/2018 by Riffrafter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 06:57 PM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK

Would you burn, "Mein Kompf"?

+1 more 
posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 06:58 PM
link   

So in today's world (or hopefully just your world), attempting to have a conversation is now labeled 'crying'.

Hey man, as long as you get what you want, right?

The rest of the world can simply put a sock in it, right?

Your evolution is horsesh*t!

edit on 1459x6714America/ChicagovAmerica/Chicago6 by six67seven because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 06:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: RowanBean

Leave the statues up but paint them blood red, the color of the blood of slaves.

+1 more 
posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 06:59 PM
link   

LOL - antifa and bike-lock logic is 'evolving' now is it?? Removing optics that trigger your feelings is 'evolving' now is it?? The only ones who DO NOT care about history & statues are the new brainwashed generation - I call them 'The Feckless C***s'

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 07:00 PM
link   

You won't be woke.

Sleep little child, sleep. We won't even notice your absence!

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 07:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Burning and removing Mein Kampf are two different things.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 07:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: six67seven

You won't be woke.

Sleep little child, sleep. We won't even notice your absence!

Are you a psychic?

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Bull#.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Bull#.

You seriously think that's the same thing? One is completely destroying a book and the other one is just a simple relocation.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 07:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: knowledgehunter0986

Evolving? Care to elaborate how becoming more and more sensitive and mentally weak is evolving?

Watch the movie "Zardoz" and the future becomes crystal clear.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Bull#.

You seriously think that's the same thing? One is completely destroying a book and the other one is just a simple relocation.

Sure, don't burn the books, just put them where they can't be read.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join