It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are the finest examples of craftsmanship in history??

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Including modern day as long as it was done with hand tools, what is the finest examples of craftsmanship in metal and stone working in ALL of history??

Are there swords from ancient history that literally no one on the planet can replicate?

Are there statues from history crafted by artisans so skilled that no one today could ever hope to achieve the same results???

I just wonder what is considered the finest example of craftsmanship in history and if the artisans of today could match it??

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 04:54 PM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

McLaren F1 GTR Longtail.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Damascus steel? It hasn't been duplicated as far as I know.

Stratavarious Violins?

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 04:59 PM
link   
I'd also put Coral Gables on that list. One man built it and no one knows how he did it.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Antikythera mechanism

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Some of the examples of Japanese inlay and laquerwork are pretty intricate and detailed.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Look up Fabergé Eggs.

originally posted by: pavil

Damascus steel? It hasn't been duplicated as far as I know.

Stratavarious Violins?

I think you're thinking Valerian Steel.

edit on 4-6-2018 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 05:13 PM
link   
a reply to: pavil

I think Damascus steel has been replicated... maybe even better alloys are around now.

Now there may. Be a specific sword made of Damascus steel that’s craftsmanship cannot be replicated today.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 05:14 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Then we'd have to include Dragonfire.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 05:16 PM
link   
a reply to: pavil

Actually we do know how he did it..

One of his life long friends gave an interview where he said the creator of coral castle would have been furious about all the supernatural stuff..

And I’m paraphrasing here but ,,

“He was from the generation that when they wanted to do something hard. They just did it with blood sweat and tears, the hard way..”

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Good call on the eggs..

Great call on the valerian steel joke :p

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 05:18 PM
link   
a reply to: manuelram16

I don’t think your average watchmaker would have a lot of trouble replicating it today.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Some of the ancient obsidian spear points. It required a very advanced skill in napping technique that, today, is all but lost. So, today, there are not many (if any) masters in napping as there were tens of thousands of years ago.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 05:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: pavil

Then we'd have to include Dragonfire.

Elvish Swords might be better. They freaking glow blue when goblins or orcs are nearby.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 05:28 PM
link   
The Pantheon in Rome. Built by the Romans and to this day the largest unreinforced concrete dome in the world.

Or Maidenhead Bridge the flattest brick arch in the world that still carries trains today whose weight is ten times those it was built for 180 years ago (trust me non UK folks you have to see this bridge its very elegant and you have to wonder how it stands up!!!)

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Are the pyramids too obvious?

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 05:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

Man I know Robert Overstreet personally..

He created the “overstreet price guides” one for arrowheads and one for comic books 47 years ago..

The first price guide that wasn’t for stamps in history.

He told me there are factories that mass procure them in Asia and they are basically indistinguishable from their ancient counterparts.

It has really screwed with the markets.

But from that conversation I asked him if her were as good as the anchients at it and he said “they are better”.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 05:40 PM
link   
a reply to: DictionaryOfExcuses

I’m not sure they count..

There is a statue of a pharaoh that is like perfect in every way. Mathematically within a tolerance symetrically that might be though..

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 05:41 PM
link   
www.ancient-origins.net...

A remarkable silver treasure discovered in France in 1830 is one of the most impressive collections of extremely well-preserved Roman artifacts. Even though almost two centuries have passed since it was found, researchers are still trying to find the answers to the secrets hidden within this fantastic hoard. The striking silver hoard was discovered in March of 1830 - though no one could imagine then how important the find would be. The magnificent treasure was unearthed in the commune of Berthouville, in the Eure department of Normandy in northern France.

www.ancient-origins.net...

The Aztec Empire, centred at the capital of Tenochtitlan, dominated most of Mesoamerica in the 15th and 16th centuries CE. With military conquest and trade expansion the art of the Aztecs also spread, helping the Aztecs achieve a cultural and political hegemony over their subjects and creating for posterity a tangible record of the artistic imagination and great talent of the artists from this last great Mesoamerican civilization.

www.neogaf.com...
this link has a list

www.roadandtrack.com... this may or may not count

www.popularmechanics.com... warning site does not like adblock

en.wikipedia.org... is a pretty safe bet as well as most things made by him en.wikipedia.org...

the primitive steam engine made my heron of alexandria called a aeolipile

astrolabes , www.smithsonianmag.com... this goblet, from wiki

The Lycurgus Cup is a 4th-century Roman glass cage cup made of a dichroic glass, which shows a different colour depending on whether or not light is passing through it; red when lit from behind and green when lit from in front.[1] It is the only complete Roman glass object made from this type of glass,[2] and the one exhibiting the most impressive change in colour;[3] it has been described as "the most spectacular glass of the period, fittingly decorated, which we know to have existed".[4]
en.wikipedia.org...

Roman concrete

not sure what its called but the 2000 year old chinese earth quake detctor www.ancient-origins.net...

India's invention of cataract surgery and early plastic surgery storiesofworld.com... as well as early dentistry

www.cracked.com... this cracked article ists 19 things the ancients could build that we cant replicate /or were made at a time when we would not think such thigns would be possible for ancients to build

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Was the replica built using hand tools, as specified in your OP?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join