It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You Don't Have to Bake a Gay Cake - SCOTUS

page: 37
<< 34  35  36    38  39  40 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 07:39 PM
link   
I think that if he refused to bake them a cake because they were gay period having nothing to do with a wedding that would be illegal. But since it is against his faith to support gay marriage he may be legal. I think that’s how this reasoning is going

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 07:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

it was a cake for a reception.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 07:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Teikiatsu

originally posted by: Gryphon66

a reply to: Teikiatsu

Cake isn't food now?

Note I said standard meal, not general food. Are you having cake with every meal now? If so, I recommend you cut back.

Is a cake food? You can relax, I don't eat cake myself. But don't side-step.

Can there be an easier question? Is a cake food or not?

Cake isn't pizza. You can settle for that.

I don’t have to settle for anything. You can’t admit that cake is food, LOL

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 07:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: RowanBean

It always comes back to the small towns, doesn't it? It's almost like there aren't things called phones, vehicles or the internet.

You'd be surprised. Go visit WV sometimes.

Also, there is no faith I am aware of that says you will not serve standard meals to sinners, and serving a standard meal is not a participation in their choice to live in sin.

Did you just admit that the baker was in the wrong?

Note that I said standard meals. I knew you'd try to trick 'cake is a food' in there.

Cake IS food. If you're talking about artistic expression then I agree with you.

They didn't ask for anything artistic. They asked for a rainbow cake with red and green icing for a reception.

I wonder if they're color blind, because that sounds horrific.

That does sound hideous. They could have just gone to Walmart.

See the baker could have refused to debase his art with such an aesthetic abomination ... instead, he chose to deny service based on his customers' sexual orientation.

That's illegal in CO. This is about as straightforward as one can get.

But he did not deny them service. He offered pre-made cakes that another person could have garnished.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Cake isn't food now?

Note I said standard meal, not general food. Are you having cake with every meal now? If so, I recommend you cut back.

Is a cake food? You can relax, I don't eat cake myself. But don't side-step.

Can there be an easier question? Is a cake food or not?

Cake isn't pizza. You can settle for that.

I don’t have to settle for anything. You can’t admit that cake is food, LOL

I never have denied it, but watching you try to trap me is entertaining.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 07:43 PM
link   

It always comes back to the small towns, doesn't it? It's almost like there aren't things called phones, vehicles or the internet.

Also, there is no faith I am aware of that says you will not serve standard meals to sinners, and serving a standard meal is not a participation in their choice to live in sin.

Note that I said standard meals. I knew you'd try to trick 'cake is a food' in there.

Cake IS food. If you're talking about artistic expression then I agree with you.

You brought up Pizza Hut, which I replied to. Hence meals. I'm not aware of many pizza hut culinary masterpieces, though the Sausage Lover's from my teen years comes close.

They are asked to deliver pizzas to parties and receptions all the time.

How about Satanic parties?

LOL

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Right so his beliefs don’t extend to doing business with them ... just in providing what they asked for as he would do for other customers?

Sounds like the baker’s devotion to his belief is a little shaky, no?

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 07:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
a reply to: howtonhawky

If you read the history on the Bill of Rights, they were added in because people knew that the folks of the future were tyrannical assholes. Most founders believed the Constitution layed out the case for the bill of rights clearly already....some did not. So the bill of rights was drafted to ensure that protections would not be swayed.

SCOTUS has ruled in support of this.

I'm not sure the founders got this one right. The counter argument was that if specifics rights were enumerated, then years down the road, the argument would be presented that those rights were the only ones the people had. As it turns out, the founders were right in that assertion. Many people both on the state and citizen side argue against issues on the basis that the Constitution doesn't expressly codify that right.

I can't say for sure if we would have been better off without a bill of rights, but the states were writing them into their constitutions anyways. And we've clearly seen the argument against it come to pass.

As for this ruling. It was done narrowly so that it doesn't set precedent for any other case. If I read it right, it didn't even rule on the issue, only ruling on the fact that the previous trial had procedural errors, and therefore shouldn't have gone to the Supreme Court in the first place. Baiscally kicking the decision back to the state court.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Trap you? LOL. Ah hubris ... so these other cakes the baker was willing to sell... you’re okay with “separate but equal” then? The blank cakes are good enough for the gays?

Are you saying that food coloring is the difference between sin and no sin for the baker?

LOLOL

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 07:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

You read it right. The issue was with the Commission which spuriously decided that the right to public accommodation is superior to religion. That was wrong procedurally.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 07:54 PM
link   

You brought up Pizza Hut, which I replied to. Hence meals. I'm not aware of many pizza hut culinary masterpieces, though the Sausage Lover's from my teen years comes close.

They are asked to deliver pizzas to parties and receptions all the time.

How about Satanic parties?

LOL

Dibs on the center piece.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 07:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell
I think that if he refused to bake them a cake because they were gay period having nothing to do with a wedding that would be illegal. But since it is against his faith to support gay marriage he may be legal. I think that’s how this reasoning is going

Not quite.

The SCOTUS ruling found that the CO Civil Rights commission was too openly hostile to have been impartial in their ruling.

That doesn't say anything one way or the other. They simply kicked the can down the road on this. It's highly convenient considering this is a can of worms they more or less opened with Obergafell to begin with.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Right so his beliefs don’t extend to doing business with them ... just in providing what they asked for as he would do for other customers?

No, he was resolute in the face of government pressure run amok.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Now now, you said he made the alternate cake offer before any complaint was issued ... so obviously for Mr. Philips, the sin was in the food coloring

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Trap you? LOL. Ah hubris ... so these other cakes the baker was willing to sell... you’re okay with “separate but equal” then? The blank cakes are good enough for the gays?

Are you saying that food coloring is the difference between sin and no sin for the baker?

LOLOL

I've missed you too, gryph. These threads were getting boring without you

Separate but equal would only apply if he made a gay wedding cake for a straight customer, or refused to sell his pre-made pastries and cakes. He was under no obligation to create something new.

Food coloring has nothing to do with it. Intent and Participation are what is the issue.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Now now, you said he made the alternate cake offer before any complaint was issued ... so obviously for Mr. Philips, the sin was in the food coloring

Whatever makes you feel better.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 08:02 PM
link   

He made the plain cakes with intent to sell them, right? And according to you, he was willing to sell the gays a cake for their reception, just not the ones he would make for his other non-gay customers, right?

The biggest difference between the two separate but equal cakes is food coloring. /shrug

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 08:03 PM
link   

It doesn’t make me feel anything, it just demonstrates the absurdity of the bakers alleged beliefs vis a vis his business practices.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 08:06 PM
link   

He made the plain cakes with intent to sell them, right? And according to you, he was willing to sell the gays a cake for their reception, just not the ones he would make for his other non-gay customers, right?

The biggest difference between the two separate but equal cakes is food coloring. /shrug

Intent and Participation.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 08:07 PM
link   

It doesn’t make me feel anything, it just demonstrates the absurdity of the bakers alleged beliefs vis a vis his business practices.

Alleged?

new topics

top topics

<< 34  35  36    38  39  40 >>

join