It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You Don't Have to Bake a Gay Cake - SCOTUS

page: 36
<< 33  34  35    37  38  39 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 07:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

" He needs to get over his irrational squeamishness,"

Seems the same could be said of the Customer . What , a Gay Bakery Not Good Enough for HimShe ?

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 07:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zanti Misfit

Seems the same could be said of the Customer . What , a Gay Bakery Not Good Enough for HimShe ?

I don't disagree with you. Or the two sides could have come to a reasonable compromise.

But no, both sides were used in a political power-play.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 07:02 PM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 07:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

originally posted by: Zanti Misfit

I don't disagree with you. Or the two sides could have come to a reasonable compromise.

But no, both sides were used in a political power-play.

This is us.

I wonder if that man in the middle has a reasonable compromise.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 07:05 PM
link   

I Believe in Live and Let Live , but Get the Hell out of my Way while doing it......

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 07:06 PM
link   
a reply to: RowanBean

But Jesus knew their thoughts, and said to them: “Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation, and every city or house divided against itself will not stand.

Matthew 12:25

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Awesome verse and apropos.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 07:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Zanti Misfit

If I have to "get out of your way" then you're not living and letting live, now are you? Doesn't that smack of hypocrisy?

This is really simple. If the baker can't bake cakes for everyone without discrimination, then he needs to find an occupation in keeping with his beliefs.

13 All of you must yield to the government rulers. No one rules unless God has given him the power to rule, and no one rules now without that power from God. 2 So those who are against the government are really against what God has commanded. And they will bring punishment on themselves. 3 Those who do right do not have to fear the rulers; only those who do wrong fear them. Do you want to be unafraid of the rulers? Then do what is right, and they will praise you. 4 The ruler is God’s servant to help you. But if you do wrong, then be afraid. He has the power to punish; he is God’s servant to punish those who do wrong. 5 So you must yield to the government, not only because you might be punished, but because you know it is right.

Romans 13: 1-5

/shrug
edit on 5-6-2018 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 07:09 PM
link   
a reply to: RowanBean

Cue someone telling me I don't understand or have taken the verses out of "context" in 3 ... 2 ... 1 ...

I find it amazing that a non-theist knows their Book better than most of them do.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 07:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: RowanBean
a reply to: Teikiatsu

It always comes back to the small towns, doesn't it? It's almost like there aren't things called phones, vehicles or the internet.

You'd be surprised. Go visit WV sometimes.

Also, there is no faith I am aware of that says you will not serve standard meals to sinners, and serving a standard meal is not a participation in their choice to live in sin.

Did you just admit that the baker was in the wrong?

Note that I said standard meals. I knew you'd try to trick 'cake is a food' in there.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Cake isn't food now?

link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: Edumakated
Secondly, if a company doesn't want my money, I am going to take my business elsewhere.

I completely agree with this statement. When I ran my business I liked money, if it was green I didn't care what your personal life details were.

The 7-2 ruling surprises me, I had a feeling they would side with the baker in a 5-4 but this was not expected on my end. The use of the word 'narrowly' in the article is misleading, it wasn't narrow, it was fairly decisive.

So, what you're saying is that if it was up to you, your feelings or beliefs are that you would bake the gay cake and just make the money; end of story. But.... that somebody else who has different feelings shouldn't be allowed to have their feelings or beliefs to NOT bake the gay cake? If you feel you have certain rights, then shouldn't everybody else also be allowed to share that same right? That's what a lot of people these days seem to think. As long as they get theirs, screw everybody else.

link   

You know I'm not going to play hang the strawman with you Teiki. I'll merely stop responding to continued fallacies.

My opinion is that opening a business makes one subject to the same laws that we are all subject to.

Next.

The laws do not include forcing people into a service contract. The baker offered his pre-made items without reservation, per lawful requirements. He cannot be forced into making a new item, especially one he does not make for any other customer.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 07:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Teikiatsu

It always comes back to the small towns, doesn't it? It's almost like there aren't things called phones, vehicles or the internet.

Also, there is no faith I am aware of that says you will not serve standard meals to sinners, and serving a standard meal is not a participation in their choice to live in sin.

Note that I said standard meals. I knew you'd try to trick 'cake is a food' in there.

Cake IS food. If you're talking about artistic expression then I agree with you.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 07:32 PM
link   

You know I'm not going to play hang the strawman with you Teiki. I'll merely stop responding to continued fallacies.

My opinion is that opening a business makes one subject to the same laws that we are all subject to.

Next.

The laws do not include forcing people into a service contract. The baker offered his pre-made items without reservation, per lawful requirements. He cannot be forced into making a new item, especially one he does not make for any other customer.

Correct, there are no laws forcing anyone to open a business and then discriminate illegally against customers.

If it was a sin to make a product for the reception, how is it not a sin to provide another cake for the same reception?

How is one a sin and the other is okay?

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Cake isn't food now?

Note I said standard meal, not general food. Are you having cake with every meal now? If so, I recommend you cut back.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Cake IS food. If you're talking about artistic expression then I agree with you.

They didn't ask for anything artistic. They asked for a rainbow cake with red and green icing for a reception.

I wonder if they're color blind, because that sounds horrific. See the baker could have refused to debase his art with such an aesthetic abomination ... instead, he chose to deny service based on his customers' sexual orientation.

That's illegal in CO. This is about as straightforward as one can get.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Cake isn't food now?

Note I said standard meal, not general food. Are you having cake with every meal now? If so, I recommend you cut back.

Is a cake food? You can relax, I don't eat cake myself. But don't side-step.

Can there be an easier question? Is a cake food or not?

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 07:36 PM
link   

You brought up Pizza Hut, which I replied to. Hence meals. I'm not aware of many pizza hut culinary masterpieces, though the Sausage Lover's from my teen years comes close.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Cake isn't food now?

Is a cake food? You can relax, I don't eat cake myself. But don't side-step.

Can there be an easier question? Is a cake food or not?

Cake isn't pizza. You can settle for that.

top topics

<< 33  34  35    37  38  39 >>

join