It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You Don't Have to Bake a Gay Cake - SCOTUS

page: 32
<< 29  30  31    33  34  35 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 09:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

originally posted by: howtonhawky

a reply to: howtonhawky

You should learn what public accomodation is; the actual meaning is relevant here.

As it is, you're merely arguing from ignorance.

EDIT: Please note, I am not calling you ignorant, however, your argument that you've never heard of something is not a valid reason to believe it doesn't exist. Google "Colorado Public Accomodation law" and you'll see what we're discussing.

Are you trying to claim that gayers are a special class of peoples?

Sexual orientation seems to be absent from your accommodation laws.

The truth is that an owner can close their doors to anyone they wish as long as they do not say why.

out to lunch

Sexual orientation is a protected class in Colorado and 21 other states: that is a fact.

The Colorado Anti-Discrimination Act directly proves that your post is mistaken in this specific matter.

federal and state are different

sexual orientation is not a federal protected class
Public accommodations. Public accommodations, in US law, are generally defined as facilities, both public and private, used by the public. ... Under US federal law, public accommodations must be accessible to the handicapped and may not discriminate on the basis of "race, color, religion, or national origin."
Public accommodations - Wikipedia
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Separation of church and state. Religion can't dictate the government and the government can't dictate religion. If you want one, you have to take the other.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Putting legal talk aside, why would you want your cake to be baked by anti-gay bakers if your gay?? It just sounds like who ever made this complaint against the bakers has nothing better to do.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 10:13 AM
link   

The State of Colorado also has laws regarding public accommodation: Anti-Discrimination Act (Colorado 24-34-601)

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 10:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Kharron

"No shirt, no shoes, no business." on their front door, and that's 100% ok, a cake maker can put "We don't make cakes for gay couples, or Satanists or Muslims." if they choose so.

Let' us condense that into "We reserve the right to refuse service".

Personally, I feel all businesses should have the right to dictate their contract practices, discrimination or not. At the end of the day, another establishment will provide the service required and earn your $$.

Those with questionable practices may find themselves out of business. Simple as that.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 10:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Beowolfs

All businesses?

So, Emergency Rooms, Urgent Care Clinics, can refuse service for any reason at any time etc.?

And if there is a distinction to be made, what is it (in your scenario)?

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 10:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

In Matthew 22:21 Jesus said "Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's; and to God the things that are God's."

I feel this means that God wants me to give all my non-essential income to the Church and not pay taxes.

Would that be a valid defense in court?

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 10:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

were homosexuality a truly binary type of deal, protection might be in order. But it isn't...its a spectrum.

And simply put: how someone has sex is no ones business because they likely will find reason to be morally outraged over it. There's a reason some things are kept private.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 10:59 AM
link   

In Matthew 22:21 Jesus said "Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's; and to God the things that are God's."

First, thank you for quoting Jesus, and not Saul of Tarsus. Very much appreciated!

Second, let me just establish this before answering your question: Jesus was trying to differentiate between those things of God and/or nature, and those things of man. Taxes and money are not of God and/or nature, but were created entirely by man.

I feel this means that God wants me to give all my non-essential income to the Church and not pay taxes.

Would that be a valid defense in court?

So, given what I noted above, no, this would not be a valid defense because your income is "of man," not "of God/nature," so you must render unto man what man created.

Now this can and should take us into another discussion about just what and how much government can force us into being part of what they create, which brings us back to free will, etc. And that would force us to look at many things much differently. For example, should the government compel us to use money at all? Should we be able to live entirely on bartering and exchange of services, etc? My answer is a resounding YES!!! Should the government have any power to tax and take the hard-earned fruit of our labor? My answer is a resounding NO!!! Hence my firm position that there should be no individual income tax on earned income.

There is nothing wrong with money in and of itself. Only when government uses money to deny our natural rights... our inalienable and absolute natural rights. Rather than replacing our natural rights, the rules for money and the use thereof should be in accordance with our natural rights.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 11:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: captainpudding

Separation of church and state. Religion can't dictate the government and the government can't dictate religion. If you want one, you have to take the other.

separation of church and state is not real life

where does this thought come from? not the constitution

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 11:21 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Homosexuals have historically been targetted unfairly by government for various punishments including death, torture, incarceration, etc. If that had not the case, and if we weren't still dealing with the inequities of that history perhaps you would have a point about privacy.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 11:24 AM
link   

more feelings from you

we need facts not feelings

we will not let the minority leed the majority

are you aware that children are being held against their will and all you worry about is the people shorting out

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 11:25 AM
link   

I appreciate your interpretation.

However, it is still MY heartfelt belief that Jesus wants me to give to God for the work of His Church on earth and not pay taxes.

Do my First Amendment religious rights supercede the tax laws?

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 11:26 AM
link   

I've given you the facts. Thanks for the discussion

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 11:27 AM
link   

If it were me, i'd not let what happened in history ruin my life today.

We all come from a discriminated group.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 11:37 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

That's your opinion.

Mine is that one of the only just purposes of government is to enforce Constitutional protections for all cutizens.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 11:57 AM
link   

It came from Thomas Jefferson.
You're welcome.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 12:01 PM
link   
How do you bake a gay cake? You don't, cakes aren't gay.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 12:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: RowanBean

It came from Thomas Jefferson.
You're welcome.

where was he when he gave that to us?

was he part of the convention of states?

are you completely it has been givin to us

we need facts not feelings

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 12:08 PM
link   

"I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should 'make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof,' thus building a wall of separation between Church & State." - Thomas Jefferson

You keep talking about facts not feelings. Why? Are people here talking about feelings?

top topics

<< 29  30  31    33  34  35 >>

join