It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You Don't Have to Bake a Gay Cake - SCOTUS

page: 25
<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 09:30 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

Both sides will have a community of people that supports their opinions. Maybe the baker lost some customers but also gains customers that will rally to support his/her position. Same with the gay couple

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 09:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
a reply to: thov420

But in CO, the bar would not have the right to deny service based on sexual orientation, as the bar is a place of public accommodation.

If they were in GA, they could certainly deny service on the basis of sexual orientation ... we don't have laws protecting us.

How do you tell the women from the bears in Greeley?

Sorels lol!

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 09:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

originally posted by: JinMI

Yes, CO does, but the federal law doesn't....and should.

Agreed.

The right to be religious (or not religious) is a fundamental American right, but as you say, how far does that right extend?

If you believe that same-sex marriage is a sin, then my recommendation to you would be to avoid marrying someone of your own sex. You might even contribute to efforts to deny marriage to same-sex couples.

I don't believe that belief extends to contravening the rights that any member of the public has a reasonable right to expect in a place of public accomodation. If you run a cake shop, and I want to buy a cake, sell me one.

If you don't want to sell me one, tell me so, but don't be dumb enough to tell me it's because I'm gay.

And if he sells they other items, and they are gay?

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 09:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

The right to be religious (or not religious) is a fundamental American right, but as you say, how far does that right extend?

To the exact point where anyone else begins, even in commerce.

I don't believe that belief extends to contravening the rights any member of the public has every right to expect in a place of public accomodation. If you run a cake shop, and I want to buy a cake, sell me one.

No shoes, no shirt, no service. Many places put restrictions on what they will or will not allow in their business and each patron can decide if they want to abide by the practice or not. I guess the caveat here is that it's not expressed, publicly, that he will not makes cakes for gay couples because it goes against his faith and personal expression.

Perhaps he should hang it on his door?

For the same token, if you're a gay couple in the market for a cake, go where they will be extremely happy to take your business. Get the service you desire.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 09:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Nightrider83

I wouldn't argue that point but I would bring up the question which one is likely seeing more acceptance?

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 09:36 PM
link   

But how terrible would it be if people started hanging signs in their windows! No just no that's bad
edit on 13790930Mon, 04 Jun 2018 21:37:16 -05003704America/ChicagoMon, 04 Jun 2018 21:37:16 -0500 by Nightrider83 because: Spelling

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 09:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nightrider83
a reply to: RowanBean

Yeah it's like one part of me says "bake the damn cake" and the other side says "go some where else already' haha

Basically it's like this

LOL

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 09:39 PM
link   
a reply to: RowanBean

Haha yup!!!

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 09:40 PM
link   

I like to know where the bigots are. Signs make it easier...from my laymans view anyway.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 09:41 PM
link   

"No shoes no shirt no service" was supposedly a public health concern and codified in law.

Businesses can control many aspects ... and do. A good example would be refusing to serve the obviously intoxicated. The business owner has liability if the drunken person harms others, and thus, they have the right to deny service.

However, when it is a matter of discriminating against someone because of a protected class, it is illegal.

Should we have protected classes? Should we NEED to have them? Those are idealistic questions above my pay-grade.
edit on 4-6-2018 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Haha careful!
But actually this made me think. The sign is a good analogy of the feelings of the baker...which makes it feel wrong!
edit on 14390930Mon, 04 Jun 2018 21:43:46 -05004304America/ChicagoMon, 04 Jun 2018 21:43:46 -0500 by Nightrider83 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 09:45 PM
link   

For the same token, if you're a gay couple in the market for a cake, go where they will be extremely happy to take your business. Get the service you desire.

That's the confusing part. If they have convinced themselves that the baker hates them, why do they want him to prepare anything related to what should be the happiest day of their life?

link   

the thing that bothers me is that ya, this is just a stupid cake that is being denied and ya, it can probably be easy for the customer to just go to another bakery and get the cake once denied. but what if they live in the deep south, and just about all the bakeries are taking up the same policy and they end up spending hours going from bakery to bakery searching for the one that will do it for them? what if, instead of a stupid cake, it's birth control, and the women who wants it isn't really as concerned about not getting pregnant but rather avoiding unpleasant health problems.. what if the next grocery store you visit is being run by a ultra conservative jew and there's a sign on their door stating that if you are an unclean women at the time, services will be denied to you?
our gov't can't pick and choose what beliefs are worthy to be protected, so weather it's gay wedding cakes, birth control, or i just can't deal with those of the opposite sex... well, whatever the belief, no matter how crazy it may seem to the majority of the people... it should be equally protected.
and while we are considering all this... let's try to remember, that it's mainly those of the christian faith that are crying about how their freedom of religion is being infringed on....
and they are the ones claiming persecution when a business opts to say Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas!!

there is something really twisted about all of this!

link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

No law that I can find.

Although I see many cites claiming it to be discrimination against hippys!

link   

I would say that a business if they are going to deny service based on sexual orientation should have to state so in the public venue (on their signage, building ... or as you say in their windows.)

I for one would be glad to totally avoid darkening their door.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 09:46 PM
link   

That is my understanding (hippies) of the actual intent of the "public health" consideration.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 09:47 PM
link   

If his religion and personal expression play a large part (which it clearly does) on his business dealings then a sign wouldn't be so bad eh?

To those who are just making money and could give two fluffs about folks personal things, I suppose no sign needed?

Or maybe not!!!

Maybe there should be a sign that says "I don't care who you shag, what color your skin is or what you believe. Come by (buy)!"

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 09:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Teikiatsu

That's the confusing part. If they have convinced themselves that the baker hates them, why do they want him to prepare anything related to what should be the happiest day of their life?

By the same token gay people shouldn't be going to restaurants because there might be anti-gay bigots working there. Sorry I'm watching "Waiting" and it's nauseating.
Besides why would a Christian baker do that anyway? Jesus said to love your neighbors.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 09:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Teikiatsu

In my humble opinion, I think they were looking for notoriety or a payday.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 09:49 PM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

Oh totally!!!! Which is why I thought about well what if every bakery refused the service!!! And absolutely scary interms of birth control, this actually happened at a clinic close to me! Ok fine but like what if every doctor I could go to denied me BC because of their religious beliefs. Theirs a point where it starts to FEEL wrong. And I guess we try to use logic and reason and law but yes there is a human 'feeling' aspect too you know!?

new topics

top topics

<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join