It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You Don't Have to Bake a Gay Cake - SCOTUS

page: 20
<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 06:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Abysha

But what if a pro-Trump guy asked him to write something that he would have enjoyed writing, like similar to something he had written before? Just because the guy was pro- Trump, he wouldn't do it?

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 06:21 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

Writing services are not considered part of public accomodation as far as I know.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 06:25 PM
link   

How would a never trumper love writing about MAGA?

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 06:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

That would be too hard because he would be laughing way too hard to write anything.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 06:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
a reply to: amazing

It never got to that point. As soon as they walked in and said they wanted a cake to celebrate their marriage, the baker shut it down.

Oh okay. Well that's pretty stupid. Jesus would have made the cake. Seriously.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 06:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: amazing

It never got to that point. As soon as they walked in and said they wanted a cake to celebrate their marriage, the baker shut it down.

Jesus would have multiplied the cakes and turn water into wine for wedding parties.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 06:36 PM
link   

That would be dumb too. If I owned a bakery. I would make a cake for Hillary or Trump or Jill Stein. Nobody would make a cake better than me. It would be the best cake ever. And if you follow me or read my posts on here, you know I hate Sean Hannity, but I would have made a cake for him too.
edit on 4-6-2018 by amazing because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 06:38 PM
link   

That would be dumb too. If I owned a bakery. I would make a cake for Hillary or Trump or Jill Stein. Nobody would make a cake better than me. It would be the best cake ever. And if you follow me or read my posts on here, you know I hate Sean Hannity, but I would have made a cake for him too.

Everyone would say so, too!

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 06:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: burgerbuddy

Everyone would say so, too!

LOL

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 06:40 PM
link   

But what if a pro-Trump guy asked him to write something that he would have enjoyed writing, like similar to something he had written before? Just because the guy was pro- Trump, he wouldn't do it?

Actually, you're identifying one of the root problems a lot of people who cheered this decision have with the system.
www.washingtonpost.com...< br /> www.kristv.com...
dailycaller.com...

While it’s illegal for most businesses in the U.S. to discriminate on the basis of sex, religion, or race, there are no federal laws barring discrimination based on political ideology. A handful of states prohibit such discrimination. New Mexico isn’t one of them.

www.law.cornell.edu...

All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the state wherein they reside. No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

Special protected classes of Americans violates the Equal Protection clause of the 14th Amendment. You either disallow ANY form of discrimination, abandoning special classes which benefit from special protections, or you foment social upheaval between protected classes and unprotected classes. If, for instance, you allow a company to refuse to do business with liberals, then it is undeniably a violation of the equal protection act to then turn around and fine that company for refusing to do business with gays. The very nature of reverse discrimination laws is pandering and Unconstitutional... with the only issue being debated in most cases being one of "can we find some special qualifier by which we can sue the owner for denying us service" on the part of the denied and "can I prove I denied them service because one of their qualifiers wasn't protected?" on the part of the owner.

So yeah, a comic artist can refuse to accept a contract based on political grounds... that's legal federally because political affiliation isn't a special protection. BUT, ask yourself this, how do special protections gel with the concept of equality?

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 06:41 PM
link   

...and then turned the water to wine!

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Nobody bite into the Hillary cake, there's certainly a file in it!

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 06:51 PM
link   

If it was a pro-Trump person asking him to write something he would normally write, he'd totally do it. It was my understanding that the couple wanted the cake to specify somehow that it was for a gay wedding (like two people on the top who were the same sex or something). Am I thinking of a different case?

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 06:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

The same baker makes cakes for dog weddings.

The Atlantic

That baker is also using for a moral guidance manual a book that commands the reader to murder your back-talking children and to beat your slaves (but not too badly).

I didn't say the baker wasn't a piece of garbage; just saying I'm not sure they were legally in the wrong.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 06:58 PM
link   

2000 ya, cake was little different from bread.

Sweeter but that's about it.

No butter cream frosting. No chiffon, no chocolate, no air brushing.

Filled with dates and nuts.

Probably ok for what it was, but not what we'd call cake.

I used to make Pasticciotto, an Italian "cake" 500 yo recipe for my resto.

en.wikipedia.org...

Killer.

Cakes as we know them, came much later and a luxury.

Marie A. was making a joke that cost her her head.

Sorry, OT.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 06:59 PM
link   

It was a rainbow cake with decorations, which is when the baker said "no."

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 07:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Thoughts? It is a freakin'' cake. Bake the cake, put the appropriate statues on top, and take their money. It isn't like the baker is attending the wedding or interfacing with the couple.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 07:04 PM
link   
So much WINNING!!!

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 07:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

It was a rainbow cake with decorations, which is when the baker said "no."

Can you provide me with a link to that? If that's true then I thought he would be ok with rainbow since it's in the Bible? LOL.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 07:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha
a reply to: Edumakated

Thoughts?

My thoughts. SCOTUS didn't rule in favor of the baker's discriminatory actions, clearing the way for others. SCOTUS ruled that the commission was hostile to the baker's religious claim for blaming the cake baker for, essentially, the Holocaust! NEVER INVOKE THE HOLOCAUST!

The case's outcome hinged on the actions of the Colorado commission. In one exchange at a 2014 hearing cited by Kennedy, former commissioner Diann Rice said that "freedom of religion, and religion, has been used to justify all kinds of discrimination throughout history, whether it be slavery, whether it be the Holocaust."

He didnt blame him for the Holocaust. He said you cant use religion as a shield for discrimination and cited the holocaust. I know that distinction went over your head but come on its in the freaking party you quoted.

<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join