It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You Don't Have to Bake a Gay Cake - SCOTUS

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 03:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: howtonhawky
a reply to: Xcathdra

unless they come up with a defense that is not hateful toward christians then yes this ruling will be applied nation wide.

home.ubalt.edu...

Before describing the protections of the Bill of Rights, it is important to note that they originally were interpreted as restrictions only on the power of the federal government, and not the power of the states. It was not until the twentieth century that the Supreme Court began to hold some of these rights enforceable against the states

Yup the adoption of the 14th amendment applied the federal constitution to the states with the exception of the 7th amendment.

The laws of one state have no force and effect on the laws in another state. The full faith and credit clause of the Constitution defines what must be accepted by other states and those guidelines are established by Congress.

As for this ruling actually no it would not be. This case deals solely with the application of one states laws and the violation of one individuals rights by the misapplication of that law. Hence narrow ruling.

It is also the only reason the federal judicial system had any standing to hear the appeals of the state court rulings.

edit on 4-6-2018 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 03:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT
How can a cake be Gay?

(Not that there's anything wrong with that.)

When it's a fruit cake?

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 04:05 PM
link   
a reply to: tinymind

On the other side, the gay couple could have sent in a straight friend to order the cake so the baker would be fooled into making it. Then when he delivered the finished cake -- surprise! Its a gay wedding!

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 04:07 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

A straw purchase...

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 04:08 PM
link   
I wonder if he would make cakes for Satanic weddings.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 04:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: DoubleDNH

How can a cake be Gay?

When it's a fruit cake?

I HATE fruitcake.

Is that wrong?

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 04:11 PM
link   

How can a cake be Gay?

When it's a fruit cake?

I HATE fruitcake.

Is that wrong?

You're fruitophobic.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 04:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

A straw purchase...

A. It is not illegal to purchase a cake. Even if you're gay.

B. The person ordering the cake could truthfully say they are handling it for the couple in question - just not specifying what the sexual orientation was, because its not really any of the baker's business anyway.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 04:16 PM
link   

How can a cake be Gay?

When it's a fruit cake?

I HATE fruitcake.

Is that wrong?

Is it racist to say "nuttier than a fruitcake"?

My uncle always says that. And he's white. Gross!

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 04:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
a reply to: tinymind

On the other side, the gay couple could have sent in a straight friend to order the cake so the baker would be fooled into making it. Then when he delivered the finished cake -- surprise! Its a gay wedding!

That would have gone over like Fast & Furious !!

edit on Jun-04-2018 by xuenchen because: 📢

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 04:21 PM
link   

So I am needing a cake made for some friends of mine who are getting married.

What kind of Cake and their names?

A wedding cake and errrr, uhm.. Chris.. and Pat....

yeah Chris and Pat...

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 04:24 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Not as bad as spitting in the cake, or peeing in the cake or...

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 04:25 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Not all straw purchases are illegal.
en.wikipedia.org...

A straw purchase or nominee purchase is any purchase wherein an agent agrees to acquire a good or service for someone who is unable or unwilling to purchase the good or service themselves, and the agent transfers the goods or services to that person after purchasing them. In general, straw purchases are legal except in cases where the ultimate receiver of goods or services uses those goods or services in the commission of a crime with the prior knowledge of the straw purchaser, or if the ultimate possessor is not legally able to purchase the goods or services.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 04:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv

Not as bad as spitting in the cake, or peeing in the cake or...

What about "farted on meringue"?

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 04:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

Not all straw purchases are illegal.
en.wikipedia.org...

A straw purchase or nominee purchase is any purchase wherein an agent agrees to acquire a good or service for someone who is unable or unwilling to purchase the good or service themselves, and the agent transfers the goods or services to that person after purchasing them. In general, straw purchases are legal except in cases where the ultimate receiver of goods or services uses those goods or services in the commission of a crime with the prior knowledge of the straw purchaser, or if the ultimate possessor is not legally able to purchase the goods or services.

So that is what dinesh was pardoned for.

Cause comey went after dinesh cause dinesh got some people to donate to candidates and told them to use their own money to donate and that later he would repay.

seems legal to me unless he gave money upfront to them to donate

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 04:28 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Cool. Then it would be perfectly fine in this case.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 04:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket
a reply to: Necrobile

It doesnt mean that the baker held gay people in contempt. It was soley a religious disagreement with same sex marriage. Personally I dont believe you should try to put them out of business, they would simply not be getting gay wedding cake orders.

Hmmm, I really need to not post things early in the morning, because apparently people are mistaking my intent. I never said they deserved to be put out of business, but if not making that cake is upsetting people so much, then they should use word of mouth and see if the free market puts them out of business.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 05:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

When I get a business, I’m going to start turning away Christians and Trump supporters first!

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 05:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: darkbake
a reply to: Edumakated

When I get a business, I’m going to start turning away Christians and Trump supporters first!

new topics

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join