It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You Don't Have to Bake a Gay Cake - SCOTUS

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 01:48 PM
link   
So if discrimination is so bad why is it acceptable to discriminate by gun control?

More people forbidden by the state isn't guilty of anything other than having their entire life held against them because it didn't match up to a set of rules created by religious fanatics.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 01:48 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

It seems pretty simple. Used to be people didn't feel the need to share every facet of their life. Today...you can be sure you will get more than you want to hear when having even the most superficial conversations.

Except usually couples do that together. So I doubt they needed to wear assless chaps for the baker to realize the situation.

Listen, I don't identify with that walk of life. And you'll probably never see me in a gay bar, but I tolerate their liberty because that's what this country is.

Two men dating effects me in absolutely no way. Nor does it effect Christians more than someone eating to much.
edit on 4-6-2018 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 01:49 PM
link   
a reply to: RowanBean

Their investment, 100% their risk, should be 100% their prerogative. Let the market & court of public opinion dictate how their business performs if they choose to put up those signs, and yes, that includes in the rare cases where it doesn't adversely impact their business. Forced social change doesn't change opinions, it simply hardens them further.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 01:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

originally posted by: kaylaluv
a reply to: ketsuko

So do you think the baker needs to make sure a couple isn't planning an open marriage with multiple sex partners before he agrees to bake the wedding cake for them? After all, I would think that might be a wee bit objectionable.

Thats the idiocy here.

I can walk in and purchase a wedding cake, complete with specifications of color, composition, and general size/shape. I can complete this purchase without ever once mentioning my preferred method of having sex. And in so doing, remove any possibility of someone taking issue with my preference and denying service.

It seems pretty simple. Used to be people didn't feel the need to share every facet of their life. Today...you can be sure you will get more than you want to hear when having even the most superficial conversations.

To some degree, this is the problem with the gay community. The desire to tell everyone what they like in the bedroom. A lot of us just don't give a d*amn what someone does in the bedroom. To be frank, if so many gay folks weren't sashaying and twirling advertising to the world if they are a top or bottom, no one would care for the most part.

Imagine if a bunch of guys got together and used twin peaks as a symbol to tell the world, we like tig bitties. I mean why is it necessary to advertise one's sexual preference to the public?

Stereotyping.

LGBT are just regular people with jobs and families.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 01:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

So do you think the baker needs to make sure a couple isn't planning an open marriage with multiple sex partners before he agrees to bake the wedding cake for them? After all, I would think that might be a wee bit objectionable.

Thats the idiocy here.

I can walk in and purchase a wedding cake, complete with specifications of color, composition, and general size/shape. I can complete this purchase without ever once mentioning my preferred method of having sex. And in so doing, remove any possibility of someone taking issue with my preference and denying service.

To some degree, this is the problem with the gay community. The desire to tell everyone what they like in the bedroom. A lot of us just don't give a d*amn what someone does in the bedroom. To be frank, if so many gay folks weren't sashaying and twirling advertising to the world if they are a top or bottom, no one would care for the most part.

Imagine if a bunch of guys got together and used twin peaks as a symbol to tell the world, we like tig bitties. I mean why is it necessary to advertise one's sexual preference to the public?

Stereotyping.

...exists because, more often than not, the most prominently seen of any discrete group fits the stereotype.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Straight men brag about their sexual prowess all the time.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 01:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

Their investment, 100% their risk, should be 100% their prerogative. Let the market & court of public opinion dictate how their business performs if they choose to put up those signs, and yes, that includes in the rare cases where it doesn't adversely impact their business. Forced social change doesn't change opinions, it simply hardens them further.

Does that include the Bible belt?

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 01:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: RowanBean

Why would it not?

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Why would it not?

Because gay people would have no place to shop.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Right. Keep it hidden like the old days. Don't ever mention your significant other (especially by their gender pronoun) and for God's sake don't ever go anywhere with your significant other by your side, or people will know you have the gay!

Ever seen those decals on the back of redneck pickup trucks with the silhouette of the naked girl?
That's the problem with the red neck community. They're all a bunch of perverts. And they sure like to show it off. Bet they can get a wedding cake though.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 01:55 PM
link   
"This establishment reserves the right to refuse service to anyone they choose. WITHOUT EXPLANATION. "

My house. My rules.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Thats the idiocy here.

Stereotyping.

Yep, regular folk. Who research and target a specific business that they know will have religious objections to their cake request and then fire off a lawsuit and attempt to ruin the lives and business of a mom and pop bakery.

Just regular old folk.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 01:56 PM
link   

To those who suggested that business owners should be able to put up signs telling them who they only serve to, we should not forget the history.

And yes yes yes I know! Godwin's law strikes again!

I'm aware of that, but that's free market. Do you think those shops would stay open long? Neither do I.

The whole point is people would not do it, because money almost always trumps personal beliefs in America. If that baker had to put that sign on the front door, they would have just made the damn cake.

But they should have a right to if they want to and let the free market decide how long they stay in business.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 01:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: jjkenobi

Thats the idiocy here.

Stereotyping.

Yep, regular folk. Who research and target a specific business that they know will have religious objections to their cake request and then fire off a lawsuit and attempt to ruin the lives and business of a mom and pop bakery.

Just regular old folk.

The entire LGBT community? That's like saying that the entire Christian community is like the far right Fundies.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Thats the idiocy here.

Stereotyping.

Yes, many are... However, there is a large segment of the gay community that is extreme in their sexuality. To deny this, is to deny reality.

Go to any gay pride parade to see the debauchery on display.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 01:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Not sure, but I know one of the Christian bakers did.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Why would it not?

False... plenty of other businesses would step in.

link   

Go to any gay pride parade to see the debauchery on display.

Go to any beach on spring break to see the debauchery on display.

link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

define pervert
define redneck

link   

Why would it not?

False... plenty of other businesses would step in.

You sure put a lot of faith in Fundies.

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join