It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brits cant even be trusted with sharp objects

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 08:05 AM
link   
A judge in England is suggesting that all kitchen knives be rounded. He went on to say "why do we need these 8 inch and 10 inch pointed knives?" And proposed a ban on selling pointed knives.
HOW DOES THIS HAPPEN? The english government is literally trying to treat its citizens like kindergartens and make them use saftey scissors.

Honest to god, i kept having to make sure they didnt make a mistake and start citing the onion.
www.nraila.org...

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 08:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Whoisjohngalt

Trouble is, while he is a judge, his opinion in this matter carries the same weight as another judge saying "Let's ban fizzy lager and only sell strong, heavy beer to sort out the lager lout culture" Which happened years ago.
Just one person's opinion.

Though it's telling that people fail to focus on the underlying causes of street violence and such like.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 08:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: SprocketUK

Trouble is, while he is a judge, his opinion in this matter carries the same weight as another judge saying "Let's ban fizzy lager and only sell strong, heavy beer to sort out the lager lout culture" Which happened years ago.
Just one person's opinion.

Though it's telling that people fail to focus on the underlying causes of street violence and such like.

Just maybe folks are so fed up with all the nanny state, their snapping ? Pointy sticks next ? No..... really, will they ban anything pointy ? Then perhaps bludgeoning will be in Vogue.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 08:18 AM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK

I know he cant do anything, but have things really gotten that nutty over there, to the point where someone can suggest that the tips of all kitchen knives be rounded down , and not be laughed out of town?

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 08:23 AM
link   

That's actually an interesting suggestion. Exactly why do knifes have points? Does anyone use the point regularly for anything. Just from a "being safe in the home" standpoint, this is actually a good idea to have rounded point knives available. It should be an option, not a requirement. At my work, they changed the razor boxcutters with the kind that can't cut you. They work great and the problem of cuts has been lowered dramatically. Not all ideas to make people safer are bad.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Without trying to turn this into a USA vs UK thread (again), let's have a bit of perspective. In California, you cannot even buy a screwdriver without an instruction booklet telling you how you should and shouldn't use it.

The point of me stating that? Idiots are everywhere.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Unless you are involved in low grade dealing or are unlucky enough to be getting robbed in the dodgiest parts of a big city, it's unlikely you will ever see a knife outside of a shop or a restaurant.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 08:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: MiddleInsite

That's actually an interesting suggestion. Exactly why do knifes have points? Does anyone use the point regularly for anything. Just from a "being safe in the home" standpoint, this is actually a good idea to have rounded point knives available. It should be an option, not a requirement. At my work, they changed the razor boxcutters with the kind that can't cut you. They work great and the problem of cuts has been lowered dramatically. Not all ideas to make people safer are bad.

I use the point regularly. Try chopping an onion finely without using the point and you will have a much tougher time.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 08:43 AM
link   
a reply to: MiddleInsite

Ummm...yessir...we wouldn't want you to put your eye out running with that butcher knife...

Just how the hell is grinding off all the pointy ends supposed to protect someone from a slashing stroke...Or better yet...how many wrist slashers will be foiled by the lack of a pointy end...

Best we just ban knives and anything pointy or sharp altogether...
Olympic javelin catchers had better look for another sport...sport...

YouSir

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 08:54 AM
link   
so will limbs eventually be banned, will everything be soft and padded and will everyone be tracked and monitored 24/7, will there be curfews and will people be locked in their homes at night?

you can only push so far trying to protect everyone before it becomes impossible to be human, until life loses meaning and people eventually give up on it. how far will people go?

ban guns, then knives, hammers, scissors, tweezers, spoons, forks, sticks, martial arts, plungers, what next, sharp words too?

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 08:55 AM
link   

mydaughter say i aint to be trusted with sharp objects but i did drop her a lot as a baby on accident on acount of the booz

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Then after I guess they have to ban hammers or rocks...or anything else that can hammer metal to a point I'm assuming???

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 09:01 AM
link   

To open cans of paint that have been glued shut. My neighbour used to do this, at least until the blade slipped and he cut his thumb open to the bone.

You use the point to split apart frozen slices of meat, burgers etc... Hammer that blade in ...

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 09:04 AM
link   

My fathers side of the family are all English. I have always thought them to be a little stabby.

We should have a list of everything that needs to be ground down. Scissors would be a good start. Ii''m not sure pencils are safe either.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 09:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: SprocketUK

I use the point regularly. Try chopping an onion finely without using the point and you will have a much tougher time.

You are just going to have to learn to chop an onion with a spork now.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Exactly why do knifes have points?

For stabbing.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Just chiming in here. Let's say for example rounding knife blade points starts happening there's still going to be plenty of pointed knives in people's 'inventory' so the judges comments in my opinion is completely stupid. Here in the UK hang guns are banned but people are still getting shot. I'd also like to add even with a rounded tip and strong narrow metal object with a rounded end could still puncture a human body if enough force is applied. It's not whether an object as a point if you've got a fine edge on something the surface area is still going to be so small at the end of a rounded knife it's still going to be able to do harm. I bet with enough force you could still stab something with a butter knife

One thing has crossed my mind regarding recent knife crime, yet there isn't much you can do about it as obviously it's a crime and bound to make the news is the media coverage. I feel that people who want to murder or cause injury to someone with a knife, especially gang member is the street cred they get. I can imagine a member of a gang getting a name for themselves when the attack they have done has made national news. For example Mr Joe Bloggs goes out to attack someone he is successful and all of a sudden everyone is rooting for him as his attack made the news. I feel sometimes when the story is put in the newspapers and on news channels it actually fuels the fire for more crime as the next person also wants to be the one the papers and news are talking about. Like I said what can you do about that though as any murder (shooting/stabbing) is going to make the headlines

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Mine can be straight across the top:

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 09:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: YouSir

Ummm...yessir...we wouldn't want you to put your eye out running with that butcher knife...

Just how the hell is grinding off all the pointy ends supposed to protect someone from a slashing stroke...Or better yet...how many wrist slashers will be foiled by the lack of a pointy end...

Best we just ban knives and anything pointy or sharp altogether...
Olympic javelin catchers had better look for another sport...sport...

So then next everyone 'needs' to dull the knives. Maybe the cops do a "kitchen knife buyback", and pass out butter knives in their place.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 09:39 AM
link   

**ATTENTION**

People are stupid.

Carry on with your day.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join