It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giuliani: Trump 'probably' has power to pardon himself

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 10:09 AM
link   
a reply to: introvert

It's true. That's why I've been saying that the Republicans in Congress are spineless. Quite a few of them aren't happy with Trump being President. They said as much during the election, but they all shut up and got in line once it happened.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 10:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

Trump HIMSELF said this morning, that he has the right to pardon himself.
www.cnbc.com...

Donald Trump's pardon last week of Dinesh was PRACTICE. He might practice some more this week with our former governor, Rod Blagojavich.

Don't you just LOVE how liberals are TRIGGERED so easily by the Trump team? That's by design you know. Works every time, lol.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 10:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

Trump HIMSELF said this morning, that he has the right to pardon himself.
www.cnbc.com...

Donald Trump's pardon last week of Dinesh was PRACTICE. He might practice some more this week with our former governor, Rod Blagojavich.

Don't you just LOVE how liberals are TRIGGERED so easily by the Trump team? That's by design you know. Works every time, lol.

Oh yeah. Crazy liberals.

Triggered over the president and his lawyer stating that he’s above the law. What are they thinking? The president should have the ability to break any law any time he wants and not face any consequences. Because he’s Donald Trump!

That’s democracy right there!

It’s almost like he’s been appointed by god or something..

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 10:20 AM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

Triggered over the president and his lawyer stating that he’s above the law. What are they thinking?

Actually Guiliani stated explicitly in the same interview that the president is not above the law, referencing Nixon, that he can get subpoenaed for example. So explicitly he stated the exact opposite of what you are claiming he said.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 10:21 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

You scream about dictatorships but have no problem silencing free expression. You talk about freedoms and in the same breath talk about removing rights.

And then scream for that dictator to ban their GUNZ.

Trump haters make rocks look like Einstein in comparison.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 10:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

Triggered over the president and his lawyer stating that he’s above the law. What are they thinking?

Actually Guiliani stated explicitly in the same interview that the president is not above the law, referencing Nixon, that he can get subpoenaed for example. So explicitly he stated the exact opposite of what you are claiming he said.

I’m not talking about Giuliani in particular, I’m talking about the letter that Trumps lawyers sent to Mueller. That outlined how he can’t be prosecuted for obstruction or anything else because he holds the power of supreme enforcer of the nations laws.

Donald Trump’s lawyers composed a secret 20-page letter to special counsel Robert Mueller to assert he cannot be forced to testify. It also argued he could not have committed obstruction because he has absolute authority over all federal investigations. The existence of the letter, which was first reported by The New York Times on Saturday, was a bold assertion of presidential power and another front on which Mr Trump’s lawyers have argued that the president can’t be subpoenaed in the special counsel’s ongoing investigation into Russian meddling in the 2016 election. The letter is dated 29 January and addressed to Mr Mueller from John Dowd, one of Mr Trump’s lawyers at the time who has since resigned from the legal team

Link

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Next expect Hillary to say that since she was ALMOST President, she can pardon herself, lol.

Unlike Trump, SHE is going to need it.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 10:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
Next expect Hillary to say that since she was ALMOST President, she can pardon herself, lol.

Unlike Trump, SHE is going to need it.

Then why hasn't Trump or the DOJ indited her for her crimes. It's been 2 years of investigation, yet no indictment. why?
edit on 4-6-2018 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Here are the explicit remarks:

As you know, under our system of government, the President is not readily available to be interviewed. Ample academic and jurisprudential material supports this important principle. Moreover, as we have indicated in our meetings, we are reminded of our duty to protect the President and his Office. Thus, in deciding whether to advise the President to be interviewed, we are guided by the controlling law in this Circuit, In re Sealed Case (Espy), 121 F.3d 729 (D.C. Cir. 1997) (the “Espy” case), that those seeking information from the President must “demonstrate with specificity why it is likely that the subpoenaed materials [here, his testimony] contain important evidence and why this evidence, or equivalent evidence, is not practically available from another source.”

So no, that’s not true.

NYT
edit on 4-6-2018 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 10:42 AM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

Actually your post was the childish one but you know...

And no the president can't pardon himself.

But I'd LOVE IT if he'd try.
Please Donny dunce please try.
Do it do it do it!

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 10:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme

Do it do it do it!

I called no post childish.

Why can’t he pardon himself? Excuse me if I take a lawyer’s word over your own, but I’m willing to hear your reasoning.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Do it do it do it!

Why can’t he pardon himself? Excuse me if I take a lawyer’s word over your own, but I’m willing to hear your reasoning.

Yeah right, the infallible lawyers. What a joke!

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 10:46 AM
link   

In translation, the president is above the law?

NO

Here is the real deal.

Let's say that potus committed a crime. He shot comey in the white house.

Step one is to appoint a special council based on overwhelming evidence of a crime. Since there is overwhelming evidence then the appointee does not have to be voted on nor ratified by potus givin evidence of crime the scope of the appointee would be narrow in scope and would focus on the specific event. He would have to in a timely manner present evidence to congress for impeachment proceedings and then evidence for indictment if the potus is removed.

Now compared to mueller his appointment to run a cointell op would have to be voted on and signed by potus in order to do a wide sweeping investigation such as was done. It was not voted on and was improperly formed and is illegal in multiple ways.

Now the original person and reasons givin for muellers appointment will be investigated because again they cleared trump of criminal activity which was the original scope mueller had.

So to sum it up the potus can be pardoned if no evidence is found and that is indeed the case here. With no evidence if he pardons himself and closes the investigation and releases all the mueller papers then a successful impeachment is not only unlikely but could be fought legally. but that is another thread.

THE REASON FOR THIS IS LACK OF EVIDENCE!

None of these paths i have outlined would be an option for a potus that is guilty because evidence of a crime would nullify his future but minus evidence it only is adding up to attempts to undermine our rule of law.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 10:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

Do it do it do it!

Yeah right, the infallible lawyers. What a joke!

I’m not saying they are infallible. They make arguments, refer to precedents, while you guys can only say how wrong they are.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 10:50 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

But what I think is that the Trump administration says this stuff so leftists can lose their minds.

Skills he learned in troll school?

He'd be banned if he was a member here. Lol.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 10:53 AM
link   
The relevant part:

It remains our position that the President’s actions here, by virtue of his position as the chief law enforcement officer, could neither constitutionally nor legally constitute obstruction because that would amount to him obstructing himself, and that he could, if he wished, terminate the inquiry, or even exercise his power to pardon if he so desired.

The position of Trumps lawyers is that he could not commit obstruction of justice because he’s the chief law enforcement officer of the nation. So he can’t obstruct an investigation, even into himself, because all investigations are at his discretion. That’s bull$#it. And sets a dangerous precedent.

Partisanship aside, it should scare everyone when the presidents lawyers argue that the president can kill an investigation into himself or his friends because all investigations are at his discretion as top law enforcement officer.

That is unquestionably putting the president and whoever he wants to pardon above the law. Quite literally.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

He's referring to criminal prosecution, not impeachment. Nixon was pardoned by crimes after he resigned if he knew he would be convicted of. This is one reason why they're saying that you cannot charge a sitting president with a crime because he can just pardon himself. They can still impeach him and convince him in the Senate which would remove him from office. But any crime and he was criminally prosecuted for he could pardon himself which is which would prevent him from ever going to jail and would allow him to stay on as president that's the whole point

Jaden

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 10:58 AM
link   

That is unquestionably putting the president and whoever he wants to pardon above the law. Quite literally.

Can you imagine the absolute outrage if a Democratic president tried this BS? But somehow Trump has been elevated to Godlike stature and do anything he wants, because a dork lawyer like Giuliani says so...

Might as well just burn the Constitution now....

Amazing....

edit on 4-6-2018 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Does anybody seriously want to live in a country where a president can reek whatever chaos and mob-like behavior he chooses, and have it condoned? Where he is exempt from consequences that even the best and worse of those among us would have to face? Doesn't that eviscerate our system of checks and balances?

This is not patriotism. This is knowingly destructionist.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 11:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

Can you imagine the absolute outrage if a Democratic president tried this BS? But somehow Trump has been elevated to Godlike stature and do anything he wants.

Amazing....

the only thing amazing is that you do not know what the constitution says about this matter...

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join