It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS GUIDE:Tips when dealing with Spammers and hackers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 09:00 AM
link   
STEP ONE

Remember the members name and send the link to a mod, if links are to .exe files with a suspicious post. Once a mod has the members name, it will be dealt with.

STEP TWO

If the spammers counts to post links to .exe files or general spamming, inform the ATS community by making a thread address what to do. (if it deals with files, tell them not to click on link)

STEP THREE

In the thread you have created, encourge ATS members to use the "ignore" feature so the spamming/hacker threads cannot be seen by you.

STEP FOUR

Senior moderator/moderators would have dealth with he/she by global ignore, waiting for banning.

STEP FIVE

Check to see what damage has been done to the board or other members. Give out removers if viruses have been posted

STEP SIX

Allow SkepticOverlord to work his magic.

Thats a brief step to what to do in a board problem with hackers/spammers

Guide to creating good passwords

General Rules For Creating Passwords
When passwords are required there may be different rules for each application. Generally passwords are:

* Case Sensitive - This means that the upper-case letter a (A) is not the same as the lower-case letter a (a).
* No Spaces Allowed - Most applications do not allow blank spaces in the word.
* Special Characters - Characters such as a tilde (~) may or may not be allowed. You will need to check the rules.
* Length - Most applications will tell you a minimum and maximum length of the password. Although you may be allowed to create a password that is four characters long, for security reasons it is recommended that the minimum length be eight characters.

Creating Passwords That Won't Be Easily Cracked
Here are some general guidelines to create a password:

* Should be more than seven characters long
* Mix letters and numerals
* Use upper-case and lower-case letters
* Do not create a password that contains a single word that is in the dictionary
* Use phrases

familyinternet.about.com...

Hopefully, this will help out all ATS members in the future

[edit on 19-2-2005 by infinite]

[edit on 19-2-2005 by infinite]

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 09:24 AM
link   
thanks and good work

this will help alotta' people...

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Good work and very informative,

Thanks for taking the time to post this,

Asala

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 09:30 AM
link   
its ok, i dont mind it

the same tips appeal for trolls aswell, but everyone knows how to deal with trolls

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 09:53 AM
link   

You have voted infinite for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have one more vote left for this month.

Nice work

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by UK Wizard

You have voted infinite for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have one more vote left for this month.

Nice work

Cheers dude

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 01:19 AM
link   
What kind of hacking goes on at ATS??

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by 00PS

mainly script kiddies, sometimes we might get a break in, but you'll have to ask SkepticOverlord about when the last major hack was.

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 02:02 AM
link   
STEP SEVEN

Give them the Edward II treatment

One night the inmates of the castle were alarmed by the shrieks which came from the kings apartment. The king was found dead. His death had been brought about by the insertion of a red hot iron into his bowels.

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 07:13 PM
link   
(quote) You have voted infinite for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have used all of your votes for this month.(/quote)

I personally think you deserve it since you and all the mods have put so much effort into making this website better for everyone who uses it

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Erm, the 'suggestion/complaint' box works wonder, too.

Allows for all staff review.

Nice gathering of information, infinite.

seekerof

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by 00PS

What kind of hacking doesn't go on at ATS? I'll tell you......................... well you see it all begins back in 1947, I was talking to Infinite in a bar in brooklyn and we started talking about hackers and all that and then we decided to eliminate them, so we got our flamethrowers
and ghostbuster cd and thats exactly what we did. Well actually I did most of the work, Infinite just sat around posting tips and working on the NIO

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Atomix
What kind of hacking doesn't go on at ATS? I'll tell you......................... well you see it all begins back in 1947, I was talking to Infinite in a bar in brooklyn and we started talking about hackers and all that and then we decided to eliminate them, so we got our flamethrowers
and ghostbuster cd and thats exactly what we did. Well actually I did most of the work, Infinite just sat around posting tips and working on the NIO

LMFAO!!

im still working on the NIO to be honest

top topics

join