It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tennessee man shoots, kills would-be burglars at his home, police say

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlesT

You seem to be forgetting a few things:
    - His friend was outside, where the burglars were heading (armed and after shooting at him)

- If you had watched the video, you would realize that the burglars will still on his porch when he shot them--a porch is considered part of the dwelling, meaning that they were still in his dwelling at the time of his shooting

- TN has their use of force laws available online and for all to read.

I find it both amusing and sad that so many people on ATS pretend to be legal scholars and talk about the legality of someone's actions before even understanding or looking at the laws as they apply to the particular incident in the particular state. Had you read the law, you would not be claiming that "[t]he homeowner committed an unlawful act of manslaughter at that point. This may be hard to accept but he did unjustifiably kill the 2."

That's just ignorant and factually false. Hell, it even says in the story link to in the OP that the DA already looked at the evidence and found no wrongdoing on behalf of the homeowner.

Come on--don't make false claims just to make the homeowner out to be some sort of murdering monster. It may be hard to accept, but your interpretation of the law and what happening is absolutely incorrect.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Gun control at its finest.

The suspects fired on the home owner and missed and the homeowner using good gun control HIT the suspects killing them and saving the taxpayers $100,000s of taxpayers money in jail cost and trial cost and because of the suspects propensity to shooting at people during his crimes likely saving future lives of other homeowners

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 03:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlesT

originally posted by: MALBOSIA

originally posted by: Krakatoa

The homeowner, who asked to not be named, told FOX13 he was walking into his home in Memphis when he encountered the two alleged burglars, identified as 28-year-old Azell Witherspoon and 17-year-old Demond Robinson. He was returning home from the barber shop and found the door pried open.

“[The suspect] picked up his weapon, turned around and points them at me…two pistols,” the homeowner recalled.

The suspects allegedly began shooting when the man’s friend ran outside. When the suspects dashed out of the house, the homeowner grabbed his gun and began firing.

Source: Tennessee man shoots, kills would-be burglars at his home, police say

This was definitely a case of self defense. When he stumbled across them in his house, they fired upon him. He was able to evade them and barely get out it seems before they left the house, again in his direction. Being that they were at that point a proven deadly threat, and not knowing if they would again fire on him, he fortunately has his own protection on hand to retaliate in kind. Hitting and killing them both before they could shoot at him a second time.

So far, the Memphis LEO have not charged the homeowner for the killings. And, if the story proves to be true, then I do not think he should be charged.

This is another reason U.S. citizens have the right to keep and bear arms for self protection. Waiting for the police to arrive would more likely meant them cordoning off the murder scene, and outlining the homeowner's dead body to begin the investigation.

This is the only reason law abiding Americans use their guns anymore. It's not protect their constitution, it's to protect their stuff and and their pride.

He was returning home from the barber shop and found the door pried open. Don't know about Tennessee but this person might very well be charged in my state. The fact that he entered even after finding the door ajar makes him liable. He had the option of not entering the house rather than to confront the intruders. Law dictates that he should have backed out to avoid confrontation and called the authorities.

That's how it works in Canada too. However your fire arm and ammo need to be locked up separately so your better off with passive security like lighting and alarms because even if you were not able to flee the situation your chances of loading a weapon in time is thin and if you Did Have that kind of space it may have been better used to escape the situation.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 03:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Asktheanimals

originally posted by: incoserv

The homeowner fires back to actually and literally defend his life, but the progressive see "stuff and pride."

I just don't know what to say. You simply can't answer that kind of thought.

It's because it isn't thinking - it's dogma.
You are arguing against political fundamentalism.
Fwiw my Colt 45 government model was enough to convince a would-be robber to leave me alone, no shots needed.
He started to reach for his but mine was already in hand.
You can tell some people's intent by the way the approach your vehicle.
Amazing how their attitude changes under that kind of pressure.

So Canada doesn't "think"? Am I understanding you correctly?

You are already gun nation. There is no going back from that so by all means protect yourself with your own gun but to say you are better off or safer than the average Canadian that does not carry a gun is... how you put it? "Isn't thinking"?

Here, if you threaten a citizen with a gun who is not a gang member, you will be found by police and the courts will try and rehabilitate you. That's also deterrent, and with all due respect, more effective.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 03:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
a reply to: MALBOSIA

The tougher you act, the tougher your criminals act.

So bend over like a bitch and take it?

Sounds like sound advice.

Must be European.

Canadian. Give us back our hockey players if you think we are bitches.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 03:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey

Must be European.

No, silly, you hand out rainbow sherbet to all ruffians and nogoodniks in the neighborhood and they will automatically abhor a life of crime because of your kindness and generosity.

Haven't you ever researched human psychology? Of course rainbow sherbet will have that effect, because no one is ever a criminal because of ingrained community cultures of violence, mental issues, socioeconomic 'necessity,' or just plain disregard for property rights or human life--not to mention that there are never crimes of passion, for sure.

I mean, even the oracle in "The Matrix" knew that Neo would feel "right as rain" by the time that he was done eating her fresh-baked cookie. If a cookie has that power, the effects of rainbow sherbet know no bounds.

You should take findings to the Canadian institute of Justice. Maybe they have never heard of the ground breaking research you have undertaken.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Must be European.

I dont think Canadians are bitches.

A good chunk of Europe? Yes.

But I've served with enough Canadians to know better.

You're not getting your hockey players back.

I still think the legal approach you described is akin to allowing yourself to be hosed.

edit on 4 6 18 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Must be European.

I dont think Canadians are bitches.

A good chunk of Europe? Yes.

But I've served with enough Canadians to know better.

You're not getting your hockey players back.

I still think the legal approach you described is akin to allowing yourself to be hosed.

It was worth a shot...

Our legal approach didnt start yesturday. I suppose it has taken generations to get where we are today where the average citizen feels safe without personal protection.

Americans cannot give up their guns. Not now. Teachers should have them too IMO. BUUUT I think that because US citizens have so many guns that criminals have as many as they do.

I don't think the situation that the US is with guns is anythign to brag about. I feel like they are 100 years behind civilization just because of the guns and... private healthcare. Now I'm really in for it lol

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 03:48 PM
link   

You should take findings to the Canadian institute of Justice. Maybe they have never heard of the ground breaking research you have undertaken.

Yeah, I might, but then again, I guess I should take it to our Department of Justice first, and lead by example. If I gave it to you guys first, Trump would put a tariff on the process and then it wouldn't be economically feasible for us to implement it.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 05:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey

Yeah, I might, but then again, I guess I should take it to our Department of Justice first, and lead by example. If I gave it to you guys first, Trump would put a tariff on the process and then it wouldn't be economically feasible for us to implement it.

Haha. I like this idea. Especially since we stand to make a bundle off his last Tarrifs.

And for the record... I AM NOT ANTI AMERICAN. I LOVE YOU GUYS. Keep on keeping on...

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 05:48 PM
link   

I don't think the situation that the US is with guns is anythign to brag about. I feel like they are 100 years behind civilization just because of the guns

You know this is BS. We're not 100 years behind anyone for any reason.

private healthcare. Now I'm really in for it lol

We don't have private healthcare.

We have private insurance and they dictate healthcare. If anything they should be outlawed for the scam they are.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 06:10 PM
link   

I don't think the situation that the US is with guns is anythign to brag about. I feel like they are 100 years behind civilization just because of the guns

You know this is BS. We're not 100 years behind anyone for any reason.

private healthcare. Now I'm really in for it lol

We don't have private healthcare.

We have private insurance and they dictate healthcare. If anything they should be outlawed for the scam they are.

I don't know. Generation after generation is raised to believe you don't need to carry a 6 shooter to keep yourself alive here. It feels like 100 years ago like the wild west.

At least we agree on healthcare?

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 06:25 PM
link   

This is the only reason law abiding Americans use their guns anymore. It's not protect their constitution, it's to protect their stuff and and their pride.

One has to wonder why those two young thugs were so willing to trade their lives for "stuff" and to try to screw with someone's "pride." Sad how little they valued their own lives, ya?

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 06:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

One has to wonder why those two young thugs were so willing to trade their lives for "stuff" and to try to screw with someone's "pride." Sad how little they valued their own lives, ya?

Poetic but open to debate.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Darwin always wins.

If its had not been that homeowner then it may have been another or a cop.
Or maybe a jury and the needle in prison.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Have it, debate against the wind.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 06:49 PM
link   
People thinking the man should have ran away and hid, then these 2 guys who had no problem firing upon the homeowner would have got away and likely add more victims to this story. Rehabilitate ?? you bring up an unrelated issue. Have you been to Memphis I have? it's got it's tough mean side like a lot of cities and even the suburbs, and lots of its hood's wouldn't give shooting someone in cold blood a second thought,or victimizing your wife or kids, regardless if you got a plaster axe or not. Police response time here, they might be able to stop your bleeding and recover shell casings, but chances are they are not going to make any arrests so they could have somebody to rehabilitate. But I guess everybody is supposed to lie down, cause the best option is let the crook get away while you yell stop I want to rehabilitate you.

Sure it would nice to have those polite Canadian crooks, but its not even remotely close to the situation here in many of our cities and towns. Cities and towns where a meth head will shoot you for 5 bucks, or like the recent story where the 17 year old girl killed after giving up her purse at a bus stop, the purse had 3 dollars in it. You have no frame of reference as to what this man should or shouldn't have done, except this one time a guy didn't shoot me cause I had a plaster axe. You plaster Americans with your infantile and ignorant stereotypes like everybody here is a rooting tooting shooting cowboy. Most just know the police can't protect them or their families 24/7 and criminals here have no problem shooting and killing at random, that fact isn't going to change anytime soon no matter what utopia you dream of.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 06:53 PM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

Let's say this discussion was purely centered on his belongings. Why, even then, should any homeowner "run and hide?" People work hard for their earnings and what they own. I see zero reason why any man should be expected to walk away when someone who has no legitimate claim to their property is assuming the right to steal it. In my esteem, that is absolutely 100% warrant to use whatever force is needed to defend the sanctity of what you spent years worth of blood, sweat, and tears working towards. I wouldn't live in a state that didn't allow me the full right to defend my property, not to mention my life.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 07:49 PM
link   

a reply to: putnam6

Let's say this discussion was purely centered on his belongings. Why, even then, should any homeowner "run and hide?" People work hard for their earnings and what they own. I see zero reason why any man should be expected to walk away when someone who has no legitimate claim to their property is assuming the right to steal it. In my esteem, that is absolutely 100% warrant to use whatever force is needed to defend the sanctity of what you spent years worth of blood, sweat, and tears working towards. I wouldn't live in a state that didn't allow me the full right to defend my property, not to mention my life.

Spoken like a true cowboy!! It's 2018. I have insurance.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Have it, debate against the wind.

Stuff is made in China. It's cheap.
Pride is worthless

Your position is life is cheap?
edit on pMon, 04 Jun 2018 20:06:19 -05002018 119Mon, 04 Jun 2018 20:06:19 -0500pmAmerica/ChicagoMonday by MALBOSIA because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join