It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.N. Expert: America’s Poor Becoming More Destitute Under Trump

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 10:35 AM
link   
a reply to: texas thinker

With the exception of disability who should get a good welfare deal, welfare as a whole should consist of nothing but a barrack like housing to keep people off the street, basic food that's cheap but gives the required nutrients and a job area connected to the barracks with comunity phones and computers to allow job searching.
Want more you get a job.

But it all comes down to teaching.

Students are not given any guidance to become useful to society. Instead they a given all this snowflake follow your dream crap that leads them to do useless liberal arts degrees that get them nowhere but serving fries.

On top of that state schools give them this warped conflicted message that there no point and they are useless to the job market so there is no point or opportunity but also that they are snowflakes that are entitled to everything.

Proper guidance in schools is needed to teach children there future worth. Let them know there are opportunity's if they make the right choices and that they can be worth something but that worth is not owed to them.

Take me, I was educated in a state school but because of a good teacher and good teacher I got a very useful degree that has meant I have NEVER wanted for work, even in the middle of the 2007 financial crisis. I was buying sports cars and luxury holidays in 2009 while my friends who started off in the same place as me where being evicted for not paying mortgages and rent.......
Yesterday I applied for 8 jobs and got 6 interviews in 5 hours, from past experience I will likely get 3 job offers which will allow me to play the 3 prospects off against each other for higher wages and benefits.
It all came down to choices I made.
edit on 5-6-2018 by DieGloke because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 10:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
The relationship between business ans government needs to end, period

Exactly.

You cant have a free market when big business play politicians like puppets in their favor.

Its not a free market when a small business is paying 21% but a international mega corporation is paying close to 0%....
edit on 5-6-2018 by DieGloke because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 10:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

First this is not a Trump thing it has been going downhill since the late 88s since George Bush senior was potus and next few presidents did no better . Also the united numbskulls should not point fingers they have been doing this to world since their inception.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 11:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: queenofswords
Don't believe everything you read. Listen for the spin, take bias into consideration, and look closely at the way a study was conducted. From that Huff article:

However, the data from the U.S. Census Bureau he cited covers only the period through 2016, and he gave no comparative figures on the extent of poverty before and after Trump came into office in January 2017.

Another Obama effect someone was trying to blame on Trump. These bloopers just make Obama look even worse, at least those paying attention to facts.

OOOOPS!

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 11:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy

That was quite sad to read.
The most powerful nation in the world and millions of kids in poverty.
It baffles me.

what's really sad, is it's been this way for decades, under many different administrations.
So to pick on one, and pretend that it's his fault is the real sad part I see.

There are government programs to help the poor, and there are non profit programs to help the poor, there are religious organizations to help the poor. There are even jobs available that go unfilled.

and this was last year.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Perhaps it's a topic for another thread, but..

But I have gone from out of work for eight months, no electricity and eating a packet of ramen noodles every other day, to finding two jobs, working my butt off and buying a good used car in less than a year.

Why in America, do we have to work so hard, for so little? People assume that working yourself to death means you earn the right for basic comforts, nothing more. And some people assume it's the right way to do it.. and anyone who is not similarly working themselves to high levels of stress, are not shouldering their responsibility and are being "lazy."

Fatcat CEOs, that Trump loves to help, reap most of the benefits of lessened taxes, and so on. The rich grow richer.. and American's work their butts off for basic necessities.

Vacation and time off policies in the U.S. are pathetic compared to other industrialized nations. Time off for maternity leave is laughable in the U.S. when compared to other countries. Americans now work longer, harder, for less money, and have come to accept it as the norm.

As far as programs to help the less fortunate, Trump had no problems making many deep cuts.. which for those programs were harsh, but when compared to our ridiculous military spending, were trivial to the government. Instead of figuring out why TRILLIONS goes missing in the Pentagon, Trump throws a massive budget at them instead. Here.. take 700 billion more this year! That should make things right!

It's funny how Trump's supporters are so harsh when it comes to programs that help American citizens, and completely ignore the massive, 700 billion dollar elephant in the room.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 12:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: DieGloke
But it all comes down to teaching.

Students are not given any guidance to become useful to society. Instead they a given all this snowflake follow your dream crap that leads them to do useless liberal arts degrees that get them nowhere but serving fries.

What school do you work in?

Harte

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 12:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: proteus33

First this is not a Trump thing it has been going downhill since the late 88s since George Bush senior was potus and next few presidents did no better . Also the united numbskulls should not point fingers they have been doing this to world since their inception.

Actually, it's been going downhill since the Dems (LBJ) declared a war on poverty.

Harte

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 12:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: fleabit
Perhaps it's a topic for another thread, but..

But I have gone from out of work for eight months, no electricity and eating a packet of ramen noodles every other day, to finding two jobs, working my butt off and buying a good used car in less than a year.

Why in America, do we have to work so hard, for so little? People assume that working yourself to death means you earn the right for basic comforts, nothing more. And some people assume it's the right way to do it.. and anyone who is not similarly working themselves to high levels of stress, are not shouldering their responsibility and are being "lazy."

Because what you call "basic comforts" are luxuries in most other countries, and ridiculously luxurious in a large number of those.

Harte

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Laws say even to live at a monastery you have to have an ID... when you live to learn and be in the service of others; and yet forced to get papers there still is no separation of church and state.

It seems dog tagged in the system is a requirement; where diplomacy means little to nothing, sometimes it seems every moment is just a hostage negotiation.

edit on 5-6-2018 by BEBOG because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 06:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Harte

originally posted by: Justoneman

originally posted by: Taggart

originally posted by: NoCorruptionAllowed
And how are you helping the poor? Are you giving them your money?

America isn't some place where you can just raise your hand and be taken care of at the expense of government.

I could have sworn the whole point of government is to in fact protect it's citizens, top to bottom.

This isn't an 'America' thing, it's a first world thing.

The fundamental purpose of government is to protect personal property.

Harte

Defending our people from invasion would be on that list.

Which boils down to protecting personal property.

Harte

No it boils down to personal being. Personal property is secondary to breathing air. If you are dead you care not for property.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 06:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell

This is a sad story. The greatest country supposedly ever and the richest won’t take care of their poor.

And according to this UN expert under Trump, the trend is worsening.

UN expert lol ya right...You know our poor are concerned rich in other countries. I would also bet they been poor their whole lives too, so if one is 60 then they got 60 years of being poor under their belt, but of course Trump is making them poorer.. what does 0 minus 0 equal...

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 06:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp

You can't just give poor people money and food, you need to give them an opportunity or a chance to get out of a rut.
I bet a super high percentage of people who live in poverty are there because of circumstances in their life lead them that way.

Lowest unemployment rate in over 50 years does that hurt the poor?

It's the polar opposite of rich people, people born into wealth have the opportunity to thrive and become successful, it's handed to them on a silver platter. Those who are born into poverty have it slopped into their lap and are expected to fight their way to the top.

So rich and poor are the same neither put in effort... Now I say this as in the rich born rich, many rich are that way due to extreme effort, vast majority of poor are not that way due to extreme effort not to be.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 06:28 PM
link   
2x post
edit on 5-6-2018 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Because what you call "basic comforts" are luxuries in most other countries, and ridiculously luxurious in a large number of those.

Harte

People in America have this crazy notion that single level living is a basic comfort and a part of what a living wage should be. When we look around the world private living space is a pure luxury and even in modern countries many people live under one roof to pool their resources for a better life. Here in America a person wants their own place, own car etc with a starting wage to pay for all of that.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 06:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

This is a sad story. The greatest country supposedly ever and the richest won’t take care of their poor.

And according to this UN expert under Trump, the trend is worsening.

UN expert lol ya right...You know our poor are concerned rich in other countries. I would also bet they been poor their whole lives too, so if one is 60 then they got 60 years of being poor under their belt, but of course Trump is making them poorer.. what does 0 minus 0 equal...

You're wrong.

Those other countries you mention are third world countries.

The US is among the lowest compared to first world countries.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 08:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

But the majority of the rich and poor did not choose to be born into either life style.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 11:12 PM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

Yeah, that's called "Life isn't fair, get over it."

Being broke is temporary, being poor is a state of mind.

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 12:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp

But the majority of the rich and poor did not choose to be born into either life style.

That is true, so we should not even think about the born rich, they might as well be on Mars as far as we are concern. Poor on the other hand CAN do better if they chose. To CHOSE means not a life of poor decisions and very focused desire to get better, then you make it happen.

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 01:13 AM
link   

You're wrong.

Those other countries you mention are third world countries.

The US is among the lowest compared to first world countries.

We are also 330 million and growing. Right now in the US there are more jobs available than people looking for work. Also, when I say work we are talking skill sets too, if you go though life not developing any you will not get ahead. Even if the Government supports you then you are still poor...

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join