It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.N. Expert: America’s Poor Becoming More Destitute Under Trump

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 03:39 PM
link   
a reply to: cynicalheathen

And if people born into wealth make mistakes over and over they are simply bailed out or given another chance.

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 03:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

If they have their mental faculties, they don't have to stay poor and destitute.

Companies are begging for people who want to be trained to work and contribute to society.

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Trump’s all-out war on the poor
thehill.com...

Let's look at the facts.

The obsession with Trumps sordid character hides the fact that he is a typical hate the poor love the rich republican

Cuts taxes MASSIVELY for the rich

And cuts the meager crumbs the poor get

The proposed cuts to HUD, Medicaid, and SNAP (“food stamps”), coupled with the particularly cruel idea of replacing food stamps with a government commodity program, show just how heartless Republicans can be when in control of the entire government

thehill.com...

Meanwhile, the administration has been granting Republican-controlled states waivers allowing them to impose onerous new work requirements for recipients of Medicaid — requirements whose main effect would probably be not more work, but simply fewer people getting essential health care.

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 03:46 PM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

Not always.

I know a few people whose parents were lawyers or businessmen when I was in school with them, and now they are homeless or live in squalor due to their own choices, whether it be crime, drugs, or alcohol.

In my own childhood, I've lived through hard times. I've worn hand-me downs, eaten crappy, cheap foods, gone without electronics or toys. As an adult, I've been broke enough that all I could do was work, eat, and sleep. No money or time for tv, internet, games, etc...

I am where I am today because of my own choices, not some silver spoon or in-born status.

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 03:48 PM
link   
And they call themselves Christians

What a joke

Proverbs 29:7 “The righteous care about justice for the poor, but the wicked have no such concern.”
Deuteronomy 15:10 “Give generously to him and do so without a grudging heart; then because of this the LORD your God will bless you in all your work and in everything you put your hand to.”

Psalm 41:1 “Blessed is he who has regard for the weak; the LORD delivers him in times of trouble.”

Proverbs 19:17 “He who is kind to the poor lends to the LORD, and he will reward him for what he has done.”

Proverbs 22:9 “A generous man will himself be blessed, for he shares his food with the poor.”
Isaiah 58:10 "And if you spend yourselves in behalf of the hungry and satisfy the needs of the oppressed, then your light will rise in the darkness, and your night will become like the noonday."

Jeremiah 7:5-7 "If you really change your ways and your actions and deal with each other justly, if you do not oppress the alien, the fatherless or the widow and do not shed innocent blood in this place, and if you do not follow other gods to your own harm, then I will let you live in this place, in the land I gave your forefathers for ever and ever."

Matthew 19:20 “‘All these I have kept,’ the young man said. ‘What do I still lack?’ Jesus answered, ‘If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.’"

Luke 14:12-14 "Then Jesus said to his host, ‘When you give a luncheon or dinner, do not invite your friends, your brothers or relatives, or your rich neighbors; if you do, they may invite you back and so you will be repaid. But when you give a banquet, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, the blind, and you will be blessed. Although they cannot repay you, you will be repaid at the resurrection of the righteous.’"

Luke 12:33-34 "Sell your possessions and give to the poor. Provide purses for yourselves that will not wear out, a treasure in heaven that will not be exhausted, where no thief comes near and no moth destroys. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."
Proverbs 14:31 “He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God.”
Isaiah 10:1-3 " Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar? To whom will you run for help? Where will you leave your riches?”

Jeremiah 5:28 “‘Their evil deeds have no limit; they do not plead the case of the fatherless to win it, they do not defend the rights of the poor. ‘Should I not punish them for this?’ declares the LORD. ‘Should I not avenge myself on such a nation as this?’”

Amos 5:12 “For I know how many are your offenses and how great your sins. You oppress the righteous and take bribes and you deprive the poor of justice in the courts.”

Luke 6:24 " But woe to you who are rich, for you have already received your comfort."

Proverbs 14:31 “He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God.”

Proverbs 19:17 “He who is kind to the poor lends to the LORD, and he will reward him for what he has done.”
1 John 3:17 But if someone who is supposed to be a Christian has money enough to live well, and sees a brother in need, and won't help him--how can God's love be within him
John 3:18 Little children, let us stop just saying we love people; let us really love them, and show it by our actions.

1 Sam. 2:8 He lifts the poor from the dust-- Yes, from a pile of ashes-- And treats them as princes sitting in the seats of honor. For all the earth is the Lord's And he has set the world in order.

Prov. 19:17 When you help the poor you are lending to the Lord--and he pays wonderful interest on your loan!

Prov. 14:31 Anyone who oppresses the poor is insulting God who made them. To help the poor is to honor God.
James 1:27 The Christian who is pure and without fault, from God the Father's point of view, is the one who takes care of orphans and widows, and who remains true to the Lord--not soiled and dirtied by his contacts with the world.

Psa. 82:3 Give fair judgment to the poor man, the afflicted, the fatherless, the destitute.
Psa 82:4 Rescue the poor and helpless from the grasp of evil men.

Prov. 28:27 If you give to the poor, your needs will be supplied! But a curse upon those who close their eyes to poverty.

Like ancient Rome, where the rich live high on the hog and the poor live like crap

edit on 3-6-2018 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 03:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell

This is a sad story. The greatest country supposedly ever and the richest won’t take care of their poor.

And according to this UN expert under Trump, the trend is worsening.

Seriously?
When did taking care of the "poor" become the responsibility of the "rich"? I must have missed that memo.

It just doesn't register at all in your mind that maybe people should take responsibility for THEMSELVES, does it?

Is personal responsibility just concept that you are incapable of understanding? Or is it that do understand, but just don't care?

Always gotta find someone to blame other than the person who is ACTUALLY responsible, right?

It's not even REMOTELY possible that someone is "poor" and it's their OWN fault, is it?

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 03:49 PM
link   

When you have less people on those programs, do those programs need the extra money? Or could that money be put in a different program that needs it?

This is straight propaganda relying on an uniformed populace that will knee-jerk on "muh poor is under attack"

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 03:51 PM
link   
You folks will ever grow weary defending the indefensible

link   

Oh look, a probably non-believer quoting scripture just to prove a point. How low.

link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy

originally posted by: Metallicus
They need to learn to take responsibility for themselves. No one owes you anything in this life.
Children as well yeah, get 'em in the workhouse cleaning under the machines, the lazy bastard poor kids...

I'll bet the expert just analyzed the numbers.

Under Obama, poverty line was changed to a percentage rather than a hard number. What that means is that if the median income is X, then everyone Y% below that is considered to be in poverty. That means it would be theoretically possible for a day to come when everyone in the US living in poverty might make a 6-digit annual income and be considered to be living in poverty because everyone else is just doing that well.

Of course, people in Suden might still be living in mud huts on the functional equivalent of $25/month, but who cares? In the US, it's 38% living in poverty!

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Same to you buddy, so why do you keep trying like its your job?

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 03:52 PM
link   

*looks at his own username*

Guess that comment wasn't directed at me...

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 03:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy

originally posted by: Metallicus
They need to learn to take responsibility for themselves. No one owes you anything in this life.
Children as well yeah, get 'em in the workhouse cleaning under the machines, the lazy bastard poor kids...

Could be worse, they could end up in grooming gangs eh?

link   

I'm all for helping people who need it and not abuse it. I was on welfare, income based housing for 7 months because i needed it until i got a job and moved out. But living in that place made me realize how badly the system is abused.
edit on 3-6-2018 by JDmOKI because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: Willtell
a reply to: UKTruth

He's a legitimate researcher, who unlike you. is not an armchair right-wingerer who sprouting right-wing dogma ALL THE TIME

He’s goes around AND SEES the poor for himself.

I hear that's rather easy to do in California.

I wonder what happened in that state loaded with progressives who control their own government?

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 03:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: cynicalheathen

Not always.

I know a few people whose parents were lawyers or businessmen when I was in school with them, and now they are homeless or live in squalor due to their own choices, whether it be crime, drugs, or alcohol.

In my own childhood, I've lived through hard times. I've worn hand-me downs, eaten crappy, cheap foods, gone without electronics or toys. As an adult, I've been broke enough that all I could do was work, eat, and sleep. No money or time for tv, internet, games, etc...

I am where I am today because of my own choices, not some silver spoon or in-born status.

Get out of here with your logic and personal responsibility.

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Taking care of the poor is the responsibility of any human being; particularly if they are uniquely well off.

Particularly in a country of so-called Christians.

Just read their own Bible

Its unseemly, evil, wicked to massively cut taxes for the rich and then go on a crusade to cut the meager scraps they give to the poor

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 03:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Taggart

originally posted by: cynicalheathen

You mean the world isn't fair?

Someone needs to write a law and make us all equal!

Equal? No one is asking for equal, they are asking for help.

You're closer in wealth to the poor than Trump.

No one is opposed to helping people who need it.

What folks are opposed to are two things:

1. The idea that the only way to "help" people is through endless government cheese.

2. The idea that the only way to "help" is through endless handouts which become a generational system.

To me help is temporary, not permanent, and it's not something I do remotely by phoning it in. If I am going to help, it's direct. Voting for government to steal from everyone else is not "helping." For all I know, what I am authorizing government to take might be putting other families into the same situations I think I'm "helping" others out of.

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 03:58 PM
link   

It is no ones responsibility to take care of someone that chooses to buy heroin with the money we give, instead of food.

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 03:58 PM
link   

However, the data from the U.S. Census Bureau he cited covers only the period through 2016, and he gave no comparative figures on the extent of poverty before and after Trump came into office in January 2017.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join