It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.N. Expert: America’s Poor Becoming More Destitute Under Trump

page: 10
<< 7  8  9   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 03:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

Oh have I been getting more impoverished under Trump? Where is this "the poor are getting more destitute under Trump" happening?

A whole lot of my poor friends and I have all found ourselves in much nicer shoes this past year or so. Lots of black and hispanic folks around here are working now that weren't a couple years ago.

Not saying Trump is to credit, but I am saying that sound here it isn't getting worse under Trump in the slightest.

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 04:20 AM
link   

I don't agree. I think things are changing in ways that this Generation aren't accustomed, and Your President is shaking up what they're not used to. I'm not American, but I happen to agree with many things he's done thus far. Common sense has become a thing of curiosity rather than Human Intuitive. aka Instinct.

edit on 6-6-2018 by Sapphire because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 04:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: cynicalheathen
a reply to: strongfp

Yeah, that's called "Life isn't fair, get over it."

Being broke is temporary, being poor is a state of mind.

You're still poor and live in poverty. And society expects you to just pull up your boot straps and dig your way out.

Lets go full circle here. If people born into poverty do not have the opportunities to dig themselves out then the society or community you live in is broken and you might as well just accept that you will be poor.

I hate when people preach "personal responsibility", yet don't realize that MY responsibility is YOUR path to success. If I don't give a %#$@ about my fellow citizens, then I might as well just build a castle and start raping and pillaging my neighbors and turn them into slaves. People born into wealth have the mind set that their responsibility isn't any of your business and will keep it that way any way shape or form. They already have the opportunity to succeed.

I am not advocating for people to just wallow in their own misery and accept being poor while waiting for handouts. But I have said it again and again, people who can barely afford 50 dollars in food to feed a family of 4 in a week don't need money or food they just need a foot in the door somewhere.

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 05:14 AM
link   

You're from Ontario aren't you.

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 06:40 AM
link   

So, what are you doing to help the poor?

I am all for helping those in need, I do it myself.

There is a decided difference however, in an individual choosing to help the poor or being coerced under threat of having their property taken or being jailed to help the poor.

It's a free country, give all your wealth and time to whatever cause you like, just don't require or expect me to do the same.

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 07:10 AM
link   
a reply to: cynicalheathen

We should be living in a voluntary society antthing else is extortion

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Unfortunately for you that is completely false and just about every relevant stats or data shows otherwise

Just another globalist mouthpiece talking #e again

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 03:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp

originally posted by: cynicalheathen

Yeah, that's called "Life isn't fair, get over it."

Being broke is temporary, being poor is a state of mind.

You're still poor and live in poverty. And society expects you to just pull up your boot straps and dig your way out.

Lets go full circle here. If people born into poverty do not have the opportunities to dig themselves out then the society or community you live in is broken and you might as well just accept that you will be poor.

I hate when people preach "personal responsibility", yet don't realize that MY responsibility is YOUR path to success. If I don't give a %#$@ about my fellow citizens, then I might as well just build a castle and start raping and pillaging my neighbors and turn them into slaves. People born into wealth have the mind set that their responsibility isn't any of your business and will keep it that way any way shape or form. They already have the opportunity to succeed.

I am not advocating for people to just wallow in their own misery and accept being poor while waiting for handouts. But I have said it again and again, people who can barely afford 50 dollars in food to feed a family of 4 in a week don't need money or food they just need a foot in the door somewhere.

Individuals should do more. Both the impoverished and the "average" people. Don't rely of Uncle Sam to do it, that's not really the job of government.
We have a nice safety net permanently entrenched. Any changes anyone makes is really just window dressing.
Personally, I teach high school in an impoverished inner city. I give plenty of my time at work and at home to help people. I don't agree with just paying out money to help people, exactly like you.

There's always something regular people can do, if they want.

Hare

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 07:22 PM
link   
a reply to: cynicalheathen

You're right. It is a free country. But remember this, even if you own your own business, you hire people who depend on you. You rely on customers to purchase your services or goods. And vice versa, in the end everyone needs to rely on each other to thrive in a working society.
edit on 6-6-2018 by strongfp because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 07:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Harte

I admire people like you. Giving someone a chance and helping people on a personal level goes further than "seek your destiny" type thing. Humans are social creatures, we need guidance from others.

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 07:29 PM
link   
I taught in the inner city too, and I saw plenty of kids who didn't have the good sense to take advantage of what was being offered.

They were all going to be LeBron James, Jay-Z, or they were going to do much better pushing or banging than getting out the legit way, and they made no bones about it. So they figured education was stupid.

It was a shame too. Some of them were very bright, and almost all of them could have been more than competent to earn their high school diplomas.

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 07:30 PM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

I know I'm joining the party late but....why the surprise? - capitalism = the rich get richer and the poor get poorer, always been the same.
We can't exactly criticise the US for it, its been the same over here since Thatcher, Cameron and May have just been more blatant about it.....and the pathetic career politicians / media etc just turn a blind eye to it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no idealistic dreamer who thinks he has all the answers....all I KNOW is that things both should and could be so much better both here and in the USA.

edit on 6/6/18 by Freeborn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 07:43 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Money is a hell of a drug isn't it?

posted on Jun, 7 2018 @ 06:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
I taught in the inner city too, and I saw plenty of kids who didn't have the good sense to take advantage of what was being offered.

They were all going to be LeBron James, Jay-Z, or they were going to do much better pushing or banging than getting out the legit way, and they made no bones about it. So they figured education was stupid.

It was a shame too. Some of them were very bright, and almost all of them could have been more than competent to earn their high school diplomas.

In such cases, all you can do - beyond the job of teaching - is provide the kind of role model that those kids need to help them realize what the real world is.

You provide the role model, then there is some possibility that a kid will pick up on that.
In the end, a person has to help themselves. They can be helped at this, but they still have to be the ones that do it.

Hartee

posted on Jun, 7 2018 @ 07:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox
a reply to: queenofswords

Oh the vast majority of poor people go to work EVERYDAY and do FAR more production than the majority of CEO’s.. I’m sure some are “sleep in the office” productive, but the average?? Doubtful..

Working a crap job for little money isn’t lazy.. and the majority work crap jobs for crap wages..

Besides, say we cut off foodstanps and welfare, who pays for that room and bored??

The useless , sick and disabled??

No...

Their families will..

We will spend 40,000 per person , per year to incarcerate them..

Poverty doesn’t disappear when you ignore it lol..

It festers into rebellions , blackmarkets and other predatory activity.
So you imagine that if someone is a CEO that means they don't do any work and just sleep all day? They have a bigger responsibility. I think you have a case of "Marxisthatredofcapitalismtypeclasswarfarism"

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9   >>

join