It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Demonic possession is real Prominent Psychiatrist on the world beyond

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Interesting article and a long read. I'm a little surprised because when you think of exorcisms, you just think of a couple of Priests with holy water and a cross. I didn't know that they have actual Psychiatrist that have excellent credentials who not only look into these things but believe it.

It is a phenomenon that is on the rise throughout the world: The number of cases of demonic possession - and demands for priests to carry out exorcisms - is, according to multiple sources, soaring.

Medical science remains sceptical. However, a Princeton-and-Yale-educated mainstream psychiatrist believes demonic possession is indeed very real - and claims that the majority of Americans agree with him.

With 25 years experience in a private psychiatric practice and as a professor at New York Medical College and Columbia University, Dr Richard Gallagher has a rare vantage point to observe human behavior. And then there is the inhuman.

He is also a sought-after psychiatrist for discernment, the initial step in determining the need for exorcism. Dr Gallagher has evaluated hundreds of cases of possible possession and, in a wide-ranging and rare interview with the Telegraph, explains why he believes the phenomenon is genuine.

www.yahoo.com...

Like I said, this is a long article so I'm just going to post a few passages from the article. First, he says there's other Psychiatrists that believes as he does.

He is not the only American psychiatrist who evaluates for possession - there are many others who consult on discernment. But Dr Gallagher is one of the few who is willing to talk about it. He has also written a forthcoming book on the subject, being published by Harper Collins, called Demonic Foes, A Psychiatrist Investigates Demonic Possession in the Modern United States.

“There are many other psychiatrists and mental health care professionals who do what I do - perhaps not to the scope that I do - who seem hesitant to speak out," he explained. "That’s what gives my work some singularity. That I have had so much experience and that I am willing to speak out. I feel an obligation to speak out. I think that I should.”

Again, very interesting to read this. I have never been well versed in exorcisms. You see the movies, TV shows and a documentary here and there but something like this makes you wonder. Maybe I should explore this more or maybe not because I may end up being examined by Dr. Gallagher.

Finally, he describes a case of a girl named Julia.

Julia gave Dr Gallagher permission to write about her on the condition that her name and other identifying information such as where she lived in the US be changed. Other than those details, he said he took no literary license in telling her story.

~~~~~

“I worship Satan. I don’t know about this God thing. There’s a lot of crap in the world. I don’t see how people can believe in a good God. But Satan I know. He gives me favours.”

Julia revelled in her psychic ability and demonstrated her powers for Dr Gallagher. At 3am one morning, the Gallaghers’ normally placid cats went berserk fighting in the couple’s bedroom and had to be separated. Such behaviour had never happened before and has never happened since. Later that morning, Dr Gallagher was introduced to Julia for the first time. According to the psychiatrist: “The first thing out of her mouth was ‘So Dr Gallagher, how did you like the cats last night?’. I even have a letter from her to a priest that says ‘we raised a little hell in Dr Gallagher’s house last night’.”

Interesting indeed!
edit on Sun Jun 3 2018 by DontTreadOnMe because: trimmed overly long quote IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 03:00 PM
link   
a reply to: neoholographic

Interesting read. There are alternate realities and dimensions in my own experience. I just find it incredibly immature that humans have to purport a universal dialectic upon each other, to handle living.

Bunch of infants

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I am not sure what demons are, but I do believe that these beings could exist and actually take over thinking. I think it is a link, I do not believe they actually come into our bodies, they hijack our minds.

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

I have actually had a womans eyes go black and then speak to me in Latin in a male voice in a hospital,so yes theres something to it.

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 03:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: khnum

I have actually had a womans eyes go black and then speak to me in Latin in a male voice in a hospital,so yes theres something to it.

But, it could have been something linked to her mind and was in control of her that way. Even internal microbes and parasites link to our minds. I am a firm believer in linking of people or friends together subconsciously. Now if some other being could take over this link, it could be bad.

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Psychic links definately exist often I will think of my best friend and within minutes he's on the phone and vice versa.With demons the literature suggests that they either take over or co-operate with their host through the taking over of alters in the human temple one by one by the host surrendering either willingly or otherwise their free will.

It is suggested that spiritually they are already in a weakened spiritual state through sin,atheism,drugs or whatever.

If you look at the mind control programmes they basically use the same tactics of breaking down and taking over.

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 03:45 PM
link   
I know witches exist so perhaps demonic possession is the key to why people shoot up schools?

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Nickn3

Well take the Australian mass shooter Martin Bryant a borderline personality with a very low IQ he did however watch the movie Childs Play which features Chucky the lifeless doll which comes to life possessed and goes on a murder spree countless times.

Bryant we are told killed 35 people,the marksmanship he displayed rivalled some of the best special forces shooting in the world an SAS Brigadeer analysing the site commented on the nearly Satanic efficiency in the crimes execution.

Now the Port Arthur shooting is a can of worms,but demonic possession is perhaps a possibility as to what happened.

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 04:16 PM
link   
There is so much info out there explaining how all of this works but the info usually gets dismissed. Magick is real. Anyone who delves into esoterics, the occult, etc will quickly see that it is real and how it works.

On topic, being that this info is widely out there lately, my guess is some noob picked up a grimorie and started doing magick without understanding what they were doing and got themselves possessed.

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Sorry, but this is something that would have to slap me in the face before I'd ever buy into it. It's interesting to theorize on, but all the evidence is anecdotal at best. So far all I've heard is whole lot of "trust me, I've seen this and I know" without providing any actual concrete evidence whatsoever. I found it awfully convenient that the psychiatrist from this article, who is trying to sell you a book buy the way, says that he can't capture any real video evidence of these occurrences because "the demons know they are being videotaped and won't perform". So I guess we'll just have to take his word for it because of his lofty academic achievements and buy his new book to learn the rest, right? Come on now, what are we six years old?
edit on 3-6-2018 by sooth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 04:55 PM
link   
A human body is like clothing. If you (your main spirit/soul/whatever) doesn't keep control of it, It can be used by any number kinds of entities good/bad/indifferent (even your own subordinate sprits). Scientists will understand this in the future.

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Slowly people are pulling their heads out of their collective ass.

Thankfully.

Im all too familiar with this stuff. Ive experienced it first hand. That is precisely why I have been barking at people to question the actual causation of every anomalous behavior and perceptual anomaly we encounter in ourselves and others.

Does mental illness exist? Yes.

Do drugs and other substances cause the aforementioned anomalies? Yes.

However, from what ive read, to what ive observed in others and indeed myself, something didnt click right with the idea that just drugs and mental illness as the only explanations for all of it.

Over the years ive read about remote viewing and some even claiming they can "jump inside" people and feel what they feel, sense their thoughts, and even influence people remotely....

Combine that with the significant possibility of non human entities (aliens) that may have similar to far greater capacities, whether by biological, technological, or other, perhaps energetic means of influence...catch my drift?

Ive seen full on pictures of beings possessing or "inside" people, myself included. Ive seen them with my own eyes.

But...we are still waiting for people to pull their heads out of the sand, so we wait in earnest.

edit on 632018 by CreationBro because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Nice OP

I read about this gentleman in a WaPo article (maybe a year ago or so), but didn’t post because of WaPo’s paywall...that said, I’m reminded of the late John Mack and his alien abduction ‘research’ — his credentials as a Ph.D psychiatrist from an Ivy League school doesn’t sway me. Anything is possible, though; I am inclined to believe his “pretty devout” Catholicism colors his perspective...just saying.

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 06:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: sooth
So far all I've heard is whole lot of "trust me, I've seen this and I know" without providing any actual concrete evidence whatsoever.

Check THIS thread out and watch demonic possessions for yourself. This stuff is real.

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 09:27 PM
link   
It's interesting. Not so long ago I thought it was superstitious gobbly-gook, I now think there is something to it, though of course mental illness accounts for much of what passes for "possession."

What it is, exactly, I don't pretend to know, but my personality seems to have been effected by someone who was dead when I lived in a "haunted" house.

I have also encountered a couple folks seemingly sharing their body with something else and they had some spookily inexplicable knowledge, while one seems to have caused a door to slam when nobody was near it at a mental facility where I worked.

Whether the religious dogmas are correct or not, I again don't pretend to know. I'm 99% convinced I've encountered energetic sentience... and if so, then our bodies being vehicles, or meat-suits, can be the fact of the matter.

If everything is energy (likely springing from consciousness), then most anything goes.

I'm also of the opinion that believing in it might make it more likely, too, especially if the consciousness/energy idea is correct, or partly so.

There is definitely more around us than most materialists posit... of that I'm sure of.

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 10:27 PM
link   
a reply to: BeefNoMeat

You are not very perceptive nor educated on the process which transpires before an actual exorcism takes place. This guy is for real he is not involved in the process because he is religious. It is his psychological evaluation which is needed before an exorcism can be approved. He has to determine that the individual has no mental disorder and also has to be smart enough to pick up on what can be subtle supernatural hints at true possession of said individual... At this stage though subtlety is often not the case as the demon is ready to fight to stay in control...

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 12:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
I am not sure what demons are, but I do believe that these beings could exist and actually take over thinking. I think it is a link, I do not believe they actually come into our bodies, they hijack our minds.

Some work with electrodes on facial muscles allowed researchers to hear the "audio hallucinations" that a patient was hearing. These were telling the patient what to do. The patient was genetically susceptible to schizophrenia and had been taking soft drugs. Once those stopped being taken, the hallucinations went away. Soft drugs are known to be able to rewire the brain in the same way that an old fashioned switchboard operator could use patch cables to connect together different exchange lines. That's more or less how the brain works. Different regions have quite specific purposes that map one type of information to another (object name -> object image), (sound -> person/object/instrument).

The fact that the hallucinations form coherent sentences sounds like it comes from somewhere close to high level consciousness. If your consciousness is like the CEO of a corporation, then a demon could a brain region equivalent to the PA or CTO who left the meeting room intercom turned on.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Hence the real reason we don't have ship loads of alien tourists, alien invasions etc.
There are two eco systems at work, two set's of predators and pathogens.
Physical and Spiritual.
Psychiatry work's when it is ethically practiced and the clinicians own ego does not get in the way.
Remember the old Greek saying, those the God's wish to destroy they first drive insane.

For what it is worth I believe this guy despite the fact he may simply be writing what he know's will be a sure fire success and make him a nice retirement nest egg is actually speaking the truth about his experiences and I also believe what Khnum say's.

There is more in Heaven and Earth as the old saying goes, Spiritual, Inter-dimensional and other reality all are to some extent interchangeable in the definition of this phenomena.

Even entity - exploitation, slavery and continuation of consciousness beyond the death of the body.
Possession is a kind of slavery by something, was that something once a human itself or is it native to other dimensions of reality?.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Is there a clear distinction between our minds and our bodies?

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 10:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Barliman

Is there a clear distinction between our minds and our bodies?

Every cell in our bodies is linked to our minds, mostly to the subconscious. Memories can be held in more places than brain cells too. I have read a lot of articles on what we know about the brain and it is very evident that some people who are very expert on the brain believe we hardly know anything about how things really work yet. Maybe twenty years or so from now we will have a better understanding of things, but only if people have an open mind and believe there is much we do not know.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join