It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How American Household Finances are Changing, Because of Republicans

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 02:21 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

Crime rates aren't as big a deal.

Right now, we live in a poorer area, but the crime rate is low. It's actually not a bad area. The problem is that the middle and high schools we're looking at are sort of sub-par.

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: khnum

I've been looking at the data for years because studying and learning markets is a huge hobby of mine, I find it interesting like some people find history interesting

I'm asking you for data because I believe your position is false because I don't see what you're saying in the data

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Evidence of what position? I wasn't aware that we were taking positions.

That if an individual uses sound financial judgement based on long term thinking, then they stand a much better chance of having long term financial success than someone who makes poor decisions based on impulse, emotion, and the perception of others? I have plenty of anecdotal evidence, but not nearly enough time to type it out.

It doesn't matter what the macro does nearly as much as the micro does to the individual. Get your individual financial house in order before you worry about what the government does. Less exposure to debt and larger amounts of "rainy day" money go a long way towards smoothing out any bumps Uncle Sam throws in your path.

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 02:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Crime rates aren't as big a deal.

Right now, we live in a poorer area, but the crime rate is low. It's actually not a bad area. The problem is that the middle and high schools we're looking at are sort of sub-par.

I totally agree. That would be my main priority as a parent as well especially knowing how crappy the education system is.

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 02:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
a reply to: cynicalheathen

People are buying crap they don't need with money they don't have to impress people they don't like.

from the actual data present in the OP most people seem to be spending almost all of their money on things they need to survive and not what you list above

If you have a smart phone or cable TV and have debt, you need to change.

If you buy new clothes and have debt, you need to change. There are tons of barely used high end clothes at used clothing stores. If you pay more than $40 for shoes, you need to change.

IF you eat out and have debt you need to change. You should never NEVER eat out if you have debt -- you can't afford it.

If you have debt and get a tattoo, you are a lost cause

if you buy alcohol or cigarettes EVER and have debt, you need to change.

If your professional advancement is hampered because you have neck tattoos or weird piercings and choose to wear weird clothes, then you need to accept the blame.

If your career is hampered because you can't spell or present yourself, fix it.

None of the "data" in the OP is breaking out the "necessities" like how expensive the food, clothing, shelter, transportation etc. are. It is just a bunch of fluffy percentages with no details. Most people overspend, period.

The government is not at fault for an individuals lot in life. On the same token, sometimes like just isn't "fair" on the surface. Otherwise nobody would be born ill/crippled/poor/ugly etc.

Also, no scientist in their right mind would see those graphs and claim that there was a correlation to "Republicans". This is a personal accountability issue.
edit on 3-6-2018 by Halfswede because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 02:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: cynicalheathen

Evidence of what position? I wasn't aware that we were taking positions.

That if an individual uses sound financial judgement based on long term thinking, then they stand a much better chance of having long term financial success than someone who makes poor decisions based on impulse, emotion, and the perception of others? I have plenty of anecdotal evidence, but not nearly enough time to type it out.

It doesn't matter what the macro does nearly as much as the micro does to the individual. Get your individual financial house in order before you worry about what the government does. Less exposure to debt and larger amounts of "rainy day" money go a long way towards smoothing out any bumps Uncle Sam throws in your path.

I've already stated it, people are taking out loans BECAUSE THEY HAVE NO CHOICE not because they want to

I'm talking about taking out loans to cover basic necessities because inflation has priced them out of the market in as little as 2-3 years time it's that simple

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 02:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Halfswede

you didn't make a single point that has data to support that position, can't waste time on your post

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Student Loan Debt is an IDIOT Tax.

Millions of idiots going 10's of thousands in debt for useless classes and useless degrees.

No, I would resist any "bailout" for student loan debt since I sure as hell don't want to contribute for it because people are gullible.

My 2nd 401K didn't get refunded when I had to cash it due to unemployment during the great .com crash. My first 401K didn't get refunded when the company stock plummeted. Such is life. People have made their debt, agreed to the terms, so now it is their responsibility though I do feel sorry for so many people being naive.
edit on 3-6-2018 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 02:30 PM
link   

you didn't make a single point that has data to support that position, can't waste time on your post

Those statements are facts of life. What "data" do you need to know you shouldn't have cable TV if you have debt? So you think that people should be the opposite and spend money on those things when they have debt? That kind of thinking is fundamentally backward.
edit on 3-6-2018 by Halfswede because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 02:31 PM
link   

I automatically get ten per cent of my income sent to a savings account,rule number one is pay yourself first,thats a good list the smart phone is a big one- I still use the old landline call me a luddite.

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 02:32 PM
link   

a reply to: schuyler

So is your hit piece. In your zeal to blame Republicans you fail to analyze your own data. You've got some very long-term trends there that cross party lines several times. There are "lies, damn lies, and statistics" and your own post is a perfect example of the latter.

I didn't blame anybody. You didn't read the OP that's why you think the OP is about the title.

I do that on purpose to set a trap for people who only respond to titles.

Hey, it's YOUR title. If you were intentionally misleading, that's on you. I did read the OP--all of it. I find the data interesting, but your conclusions are crap. The whole thing lacks credibility because of your simplistic use of statistics.

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 02:32 PM
link   

why don't you rather than making assumptions show me the data that supports that position?

I put forth data, now you do it

you put forth assumptions based on subjective anecdotal experiences, not data driven

with the economy it's really easy they literally keep track of everything, like what are people buying?

that's going to be tough for you considering all the retail chains are going out of business due to people not spending as much money, what are people spending their money on?

show me

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 02:33 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

not my fault you only read titles and make assumptions based on titles, so easy

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

And I can see that, but in the particular area I'm referring to, it's a rush to be "nouveau riche". The better school systems are actually in the next two counties over, where the houses are $50,000-$75,000 cheaper.

It's sad actually, I've been in quite a few of the houses, and the living room is nice, but the rest of the house is bare of furniture. Gotta keep up appearances. My house is the same size, on 5 acres, instead of a dime size plot, and I paid half as much or less than them. I just don't have the "cool" zip code.

I have never once in my life had to put actual essentials on credit, save for my mortgage at an excellent rate. I don't have the newest, fanciest stuff, but I don't worry about finances.

We are not in some hyperinflationary bubble.

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Just looked a business for sale the other day. Half mill ok the guy pays himself and his wife $300k a year so this half mill business is clearing at least $300k and he doesn't have time for it. We're all in the 4 employees do all the work and he does the paperwork. We will give them a profit sharing at the end of the year and still make a bunch of money.

Making a deposit tomorrow before he really figures out what he is giving up. Been watching this place for about 5 years knew there was good income but issues. Management issues.

Yes he's a blowhard lib that hates the city management that is not letting him be his own man!!!

HAHAHAHAHA

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 02:39 PM
link   

I am a data scientist by trade. I don't have the time to correct your thinking. That is your job. Google "people wasting money statistics" . There is a good start. Learn a bit of critical thinking instead of just buying an excuse.

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 02:41 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Nah, just take away the safety net for bad decision making.

No more bail-outs, bail-ins, or rewards for bad behavior. Let those who made their bed lie in it.

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 02:47 PM
link   

What I see is the Federal Reserve pumping 21 trillion into your markets to prop up the rich since 2008 all on the average Joes slate,it is taxation that pays for your currency,every dollar is debt and you are now in debt for generations Quantitative easing and all the rest of it happened during both Republican and Democratic administrations where we are now is a result of both parties abdicating financial responsibility to the Fed and Treasury so to say one party is currently responsible I think is party partisan nonsense.

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 02:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Halfswede

I am a data scientist by trade. I don't have the time to correct your thinking. That is your job. Google "people wasting money statistics" . There is a good start. Learn a bit of critical thinking instead of just buying an excuse.

And a lot of that can be attributed to the education system run by the Two Party System, and the "Media At Large" (think parent conglomerations that own the MSM) the Two Party System is in absolute cahoots with / works for.

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: khnum

And what political affiliation was Woodrow Wilson, the president who signed the Federal Reserve Act?

Republican, right?

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join