It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

JJ's College Food

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Hey there, y'all. I did some amazing things with Ramen noodles back in the day, and as time passes and I recal what they are, I'll post em on here. For now, I'll just post a great (in my opinion) Mac and cheese recipe.

You start your water boiling, but add 1 tablespoon of Tobasco sauce to the water where you boil the noodles. WARNING: turn on the overhead fan, the fumes are harsh. Then, follow the directions for making it. It adds a great spicy zing to the mac without the vinegar-y flavor that tobasco has since you're cooking the spicy flavor into the noodles. This is also good if you double the amount of tobasco and add a quarter cup of homemade guacamole in place of an eighth cup of milk and eighth cup of butter.

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Ooo, forgot about this one. Back in the day, pork tenderloin was super cheap at the grocery store, so I got a few and would cut it 1/8th inch thick. These paddies I would throw into a hot and spicy shake and bake bag, and coat them. Throw 'em in the oven at 400 degrees F for 6 to 8 minutes, and you'll have the best, most tender "chicken" nuggets you've ever tasted!

If you can, het a small sauce pot and fill it with oil. Heat it until a drop of water spatters as soon as it hits the oil, then throw some pizza rolls in there. Fry them until the boiling sound changes (you can tell when the first pizza roll opens up and the oil hits the tender, flavorful innards), then scoop them out. Best pizza rolls you'll ever have (I won't eat them any other way, now), and super bad for your body

EDIT: think I have to run to Jewel to get some tenderloin, that's all I can think about now!

[edit on 2-19-2005 by junglejake]

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Take some spicy (are you noticing a theme here?
) polish sausage and put it in an oven safe bowl. Preheat your oven to 400, and throw some sourkraut in there. I find one jar works best, and I like the caraway seeds. You want the kraut to cover all the sausage. Cover the bowl and stick it in the oven for 20 minutes or until hot (kraut juice will be boiling on the edges). Take off the cover, stir the contents, allowing some of the sausage to no longer be covered, and put it back in the oven for another 10 minutes.

If you can afford rolls, slice the sausage really thinly and scoop the sausage and kraut onto the roll (allowing it to drip drain before putting it on the roll) and enjoy. If not, just eat the sausage with some kraut in each bite. It's awesome, but is not hangover food. Believe me, you'll be puking for a good hour after eating this.

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 05:53 PM
link   
ooo, apparently the shake and bake thing also works really well with chicken breasts. These things are awesome!

posted on Mar, 6 2006 @ 10:35 PM
link   
post [ban man]!post [bad man]!

Was talking food with a friend, and did a search for a recipe I have, and found this thread! None of y'all commented, but what do I care, it's easier to send a link to friends than retype the whole freakin' recipe.

This isn't really a college food recipe, unless you're feeling like splurging a bit. It's a Chicken Piccata recipe that is a variation on one from Cook's Illustrated magazine. Takes a while to make, but maaaaaan is it worth it. I prefer a lemony flavor. For those of you who prefer the more buttery variation found in most restaurants...Just go away

First, you need to get some boneless chicken breasts. I usually make this when I have people over (not alone, too much work), and it's rather popular, so I use 8 chicken breasts. Use your math skills if you want to do less or more
Slice each breast in two, or four if they're thick. You want the chicken to be about 1/2 inch thick, erring on the thin side.

First, preheat your oven to 200 degrees F (About 90-95 C)

Take two large lemons and cut them from pole to pole (across the knobby end). Slice each half into about 1/8 inch thick slices. Juice another 4 lemons, or use a cup of lemon juice (the lemons are better). Put all of that aside, it's time to burn stuff.

Next, cover each cutlet with salt, pepper and flour. It's best to just mix the two together, spread them across a counter or in a casserole pan, and flip them in the mixture. You're going to add about 2 tablespoons of olive oil into a heavy skillet, and then lay some of the pieces of chicken in it, not moving them for about 2 minutes on a medium high heat. Flip them and wait the same amount of time. This is gonna make a mess, because you're browning the chicken, even with the oil. Take the chicken and put it in the oven, and continue to repeat until all the chicken is browned, adding 2 more tablespoons of oil between loads of chicken. If your pan is small, use less oil; I have a 12 inch cast iron pan. You want there to be very little oil when you're done with all the chicken.

Now, mince (if you have a chef knife) 3 cloves of garlic, or use 3 teaspoons of pre-minced garlic (again, fresh stuff is better). Throw the garlic in the skillet (without cleaning or rinsing) and put it on a medium heat, sauteing for about 10 to 15 seconds, until it stinks good. Add 2 cups of chicken stock and the lemon slices, and scrape the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon. IMPORTANT: If you're using a Teflon or other non-stick pan, do not use metal, it will scratch the pan, and Teflon ain't good for ya. The wood spoon prevents a metallic flavor from entering the dish, though if you simmer it for a moment you can use a heat resistant plastic stirring spoon.

Simmer for a while, until you have about 2/3 cup of juice. It could take upwards of 20 minutes. You want it to be fairly little. Add the lemon juice you squeezed earlier, some sliced or chopped black olives (about 1/2 cup) and throw in 5 tablespoons of pickled (brine cured) capers, and continue to simmer until you're down to about 1 cup of juice. Again, this could take a while. Swirl in 7 tablespoons of softened butter until the butter melts and thickens the sauce. Throw in about 4 tablespoons of fresh parsley, minced.

Now, take out the chicken, and allow people to either serve themselves, or pour the sauce as you bring out the chicken to your guests! Awesome meal, fantastic flavor, and a lot more expensive than spicy Mac & Cheese!

[edit on 3/6/06/06 by junglejake]

posted on Apr, 2 2006 @ 11:09 PM
link   
how'd we go from dorm food to martha stewart like receipes?
ok, ok, it does sound good. anyway,
my idea of food in college was useing V8spicy as a mixer with my vodka.
i've also done beautiful things with microwave popcorn!

*sip*
umm, vodka good...

*beep*
oh, gotta go, my popcorn just beeped.

*thump*
tripped over the powercord to my laptop, may've had to much vodka
or is it not enough V8?

[edit on 2-4-2006 by DirtyBoots]

new topics

top topics

join