It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Magnetic field change at Kilauea evidence of major changes internally

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 10:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
a reply to: Justoneman

so what do you think of the crater collapsing and sealing?

The EQ are reshaping the loose soil near the crater. I think that portion of this Volcano is dying and we are going to see a new location on a permanent basis that is in this destroyed subdivision 15 miles from the main crater. Could it get a new name is a good question?

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 10:15 PM
link   

so we'll have another spot for the pool?

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 10:16 PM
link   

So, you think this is different than the Kapoho eruption in 1960? How so?

Seems quite similar, actually.

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 10:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Why do you care one way or another if the compass was moving while flying over the eruption?
Because if it did so it would be extraordinary. Especially if it was "spinning uncontrollably" as claimed in that stupid article in your OP.

Why would you not see the part about the Volcano collapsing and sealing ?
I saw it. I've explained the phenomenon several times, in several threads, in a futile (apparently) effort to dispense the doom mongering.

It isn't doom mongering to observe the crater is changing and the vents have moved is it? That volcanic network has shown a gradual sliding of the magma eruption and the big Island is the newest location but once long ago the Island of Oahu was the location.

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 10:18 PM
link   

So, you think this is different than the Kapoho eruption in 1960? How so?

Seems quite similar, actually.

Each event is a set of circumstances that are sometimes unpredictable. Just like the subdivision 15 miles away being new vents.

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 10:20 PM
link   

It isn't doom mongering to observe the crater is changing and the vents have moved is it?
It is a combination of ignorance and doom mongering. The best combination of all! The east rift zone has been there for a very long time, and will be. Kilauea has been there for a very long time, and will be.

That volcanic network has shown a gradual sliding of the magma eruption and the big Island is the newest location but once long ago the Island of Oahu was the location.
The next island has been forming for hundreds of thousands of years. www.soest.hawaii.edu...

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Just like the subdivision 15 miles away being new vents.

Where do you think the land that formed that subdivision came from originally? It's all part of the east rift zone of Kilauea. It is not a new volcano.

edit on 6/3/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Just like the subdivision 15 miles away being new vents.

Where do you think the land that formed that subdivision came from originally? It's all part of the east rift zone of Kilauea. It is not a new volcano.

Pfft ... It is 15 miles from the main vent. Pffft .....It moves and you act as if you know it was supposed to surprise the people living under the new vents?

How arrogant.
ETA

Do you ever come to any thread anymore with an open mind these days?
edit on 3-6-2018 by Justoneman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 11:01 PM
link   

It hasn't moved (and compasses aren't spinning uncontrollably). The east rift zone has been a treacherous place to build a house throughout historical times as well as prior.

Leilani Estates lies smack in the middle of a hazard Zone 1. It is a historically, and prehistorically active area. The people that have built there knew (or should have known) the risk. If they were surprised, it was out of ignorance. My grandfather knew, that's why he didn't build his house there.
pubs.usgs.gov...

Kilauea is not doing anything it hasn't done many times before. And will do again.

Do you ever come to any thread anymore with an open mind these days?
No so open that my brain falls out. I've never been known to do that.
edit on 6/3/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Sorry!
but all I see from this is that the scientists are wrong.
that data the use'd to say the poles flip't did not flip.
it was just the "The compass for the erupting Volcano is reversing"
so the pole Never Reverst just the poles of the Magma!

"But the sea of iron magnets below Mount Kilauea were now cooled
and trapped in the now solid rock – with their poles
facing the opposite way to everything else on the planet."

when they found this in the past
they us it as evidence to say the poles flip't..

edit on 3-6-2018 by buddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 11:15 PM
link   
a reply to: buddha

Magma doesn't have poles.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 12:33 AM
link   
In the past several years, I've known of a few other ATS members that lived on the Big Island, but I've not seen anything from them recently. If any of them are still around, maybe they can confirm or dispute this, but:

All of my compasses are working normally. Unless someone else chimes in, I may be the closest (somewhat) active poster to the lava flow. After reading this thread, I pulled out every compass I own to see if I could notice any discrepancy. Everything is normal.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the point of the thread, but if a magnetic anomaly significant enough to be an indication of pole shifts was being observed in the lava flows, what else would I need to do to observe or record it? Serious question, but I'm in the area...
edit on 4-6-2018 by VariableConstant because: Typo

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 12:35 AM
link   
a reply to: VariableConstant

You're not misunderstanding the point of the thread. It's just that the article presented in the OP is a classic case of consumer "science" getting the actual facts completely wrong. If you really read the article you might be able to sort the facts from the nonsense. But it isn't easy.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 01:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Ah, well, I'll take your word on that.

There's plenty of small-scale doom occurring in Puna without the need to make it into something larger. Anyone at all familiar with the area or knowing anyone living there should hopefully understand what a sad situation it is and the actual extinct of the loss at this point.

In retrospect, maybe people should have avoided the area entirely in anticipation of what we all knew would eventually come. That being said, I've never seen a more beautiful place on this planet, and I've seen quite a bit. A loss for everyone, perhaps more so for those who never got to see what it was, and maybe thereby understand why people chose to live there.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 05:24 AM
link   

I thought the magnetic field changes at volcanoes anyway? Magma is above the Curie temperature - above this temperature a material cannot hold it's ferromagnetism. This will inevitably cause a localised effect on magma deposits.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 06:47 AM
link   

Could this not just mean that the magma venting out has a higher amount of iron and that could be causing equipment problems?

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: VariableConstant

Think of the thousands of coquis.

Think of the buds.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 11:59 AM
link   
the frequency of EQs is migrating N&W from the Kilauea Volcano vicinity towards the much larger Mauna Loa Volcano Mountain

the EQs might just be the stretching of the crustal plate under the SE section of the Big Caldera of Mauna Loa which abuts the Kilauea Volcano system of numerous Lava Fissures (incl the fissure #8 that has hotter & forceful lava flows)

? will the whole big island of Hawaii start sinking into the Ocean like Atlantis ...
~mega Tsunami from the Kilauea Volcano sliding into Sea ..OR ...Mega Explosion as Mauna Loa weight & mass causes the Mountains Lava Chamber to sink below the water table~

neither scenario is good for man nor beast

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 12:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Justoneman
Kilauea seems to be perpetual to us but it is moving now. Geological records show that Oahu was the main Volcanic vent hundreds of thousands of years ago and the ones to the west of that were before etc.

This is something I've been wondering about. Were there sudden "jumps" from Molokai to Maui, and then Maui to the Big Island, or was it a more gradual process when the older volcanoes petered out and the newer ones slowly became more active?

What I'm getting at is: Hawaii is a string of islands, not a single really long island. Does the active flow occasionally jump east in a large step? If not, why are there multiple distinct islands?
edit on 4-6-2018 by AndyFromMichigan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 01:10 PM
link   
For anyone interested, here is TrueAmerican's live stream of seismometers from around the world including several on Kilauea with alternating close up of Kilauea to include HVO/USGS live cams. TA is on chat quite often if one has specific questions one would like addressed.

Related:

Most eruptions originate at the summits and rift zones of Hualālai, Maunaloa , and Kīlauea. Rift zones are areas where the volcano is rifting or splitting apart. The rock in a rift zone has many cracks and is relatively weak, and thus it is easiest for magma to make its way to the surface through these rift zones. Once at the surface, the lava flows downhill, following local topography. Like water, lava seeks the path of least resistance. Areas downhill of rift zones are more likely to be covered by future lava flows than areas on extinct volcanoes.

Understanding Rift Zones

Phage mentioned Hazard zone 1:

MAP SHOWING LAVA-FLOW HAZARD ZONES, ISLAND OF HAWAII - (direct .pdf link)

a reply to: AndyFromMichigan

What I'm getting at is: Hawaii is a string of islands, not a single really long island. Does the active flow occasionally jump east in a large step? If not, why are there multiple distinct islands?

Yes, see the Lohi seamount:

If the hot-spot theory is correct, the next volcano in the Hawaiian chain should form east or south of the Island of Hawai'i. Abundant evidence indicates that such a new volcano exists at Lö'ihi, a seamount (or submarine peak) located about 20 miles off the south coast. Lö'ihi rises 10,100 feet above the ocean floor to within 3,100 feet of the water surface.

Recent detailed mapping shows Lö'ihi to be similar in form to Kïlauea and Mauna Loa. Its relatively flat summit apparently contains a caldera about 3 miles across; two distinct ridges radiating from the summit are probably rift zones

Loihi Seamount: The Next Volcanic Island in the Hawaiian Chain
A submarine volcano is rising off the southeast coast of Hawaii
Republished from Eruptions of Hawaiian volcanoes: USGS General Information Product 117

edit on 4-6-2018 by jadedANDcynical because: additional response

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join