It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Jump To Light Speed - Are All Communications Instantly Terminated?.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 03:52 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

If ever confirmed to exist Tachyons would be one method.

The other would be to see how the Alcubierre drive pans out. Since that setup is not technically exceeding the speed of light, even though it is in a sense, there might be a way to adapt communications to somehow work.

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 04:02 AM
link   
This thread is funny...
When you successfully travel faster than light speed you will not lose the ability to communicate...
You will gain the ability to bilocate or travel through time and space having exceeded the boundaries of our reality or dimension...
In short you could therefore be traveling at faster than light speed in your craft and standing beside whoever you want to communicate at the same time from your perspective...Fully aware of both instances of yourself at the same time... So technically you would be able to relay all information in real time...
Most likely proving to be too much for our senses and psychological limitations...
edit on 3-6-2018 by 5StarOracle because: Word

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 04:29 AM
link   
This is one great thread. My favorite hobby (other than PC Gaming) is physics.
I would think (and I say think) the broadcast would be traveling at the speed of light (or near) anyway.
Considering that the signal had the power to reach out across the distance , I feel that it would not be effected other than the time it took to reach the receiver.
Why should it ? The speed of light is the speed of light , and nothing short of a very strong gravitational field can effect it.
Now , if the ship exuded an unbelievable amount of gravitational force , that would effect it in a bad way..

Just my thoughts

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 04:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: 5StarOracle
This thread is funny...
When you successfully travel faster than light speed you will not lose the ability to communicate...
You will gain the ability to bilocate or travel through time and space having exceeded the boundaries of our reality or dimension...
In short you could therefore be traveling at faster than light speed in your craft and standing beside whoever you want to communicate at the same time from your perspective...Fully aware of both instances of yourself at the same time... So technically you would be able to relay all information in real time...
Most likely proving to be too much for our senses and psychological limitations...

Thats all well and good though nothing can travel at FTL speeds
Wait , you can imagine it...
Makes for some dang good sci-fi
edit on 6/3/18 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 04:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra

If ever confirmed to exist Tachyons would be one method.

The other would be to see how the Alcubierre drive pans out. Since that setup is not technically exceeding the speed of light, even though it is in a sense, there might be a way to adapt communications to somehow work.

Ahhh , the good ol "folding space " of the Dune series
Know any Level 3 Navigators ?
Theoretically , you would have to create a self-sustaining black hole. You would have to encase in some sort of energy field and be able to control that self-same black hole's gravitational field and project it precisely . Nothing else can affect the space/time fabric.

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 04:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Whoisjohngalt

The Alcubierre drive is a theoretical bauble. It kinda shows the issue with Einsteins GR being derived looking at masses and their interactions only.

As mentioned by others, approaching speed of light the signal catching up with you would be severely red shifted. The oncoming signal would be blue shifted.

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 05:15 AM
link   
a reply to: moebius

Would the thing the drive is in be moving though? I mean it is getting from point a to point b, but isnt it just moving the space in between the two points?

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 05:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinfoilTP
Quantum entanglement.

You vibrate the entangled bits with you on your star trek voyage and the entangled bits left on earth vibrate at the same instant. Decode the vibrations.

I was thinking this as well, I believe China actually made a satellite that does exactly that.
China's satellite

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 06:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

originally posted by: TinfoilTP
Quantum entanglement.

You vibrate the entangled bits with you on your star trek voyage and the entangled bits left on earth vibrate at the same instant. Decode the vibrations.

In your opinion, what will mankind achieve first? That method of communications, or flying a human being at light speed, without killing him?

The speed of light is actually not really effective for travel. The speed of reality is where it is at. 2 things exist at opposite ends of a bigger thing. however they both exist at the same time. When we learn how to be in either place at the same time, then we'll have overcome all this energy nonsense. So I'd place my bets on quantum entanglement at a macro scale. Because it would still take 1000 years to travel 1000 light years. Light, it's only good for reading things at night. Just being there, well that's much more efficient.

But how? Hmmm.. I think the human species will be long extinct before it could ever have been realised.

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Well until we got to Light speed we can only speculate. Assuming we do, we can always drop out of light speed and make communications and get back up to speed until we work out the vibrating bits and the quantum entanglement devices that will have to be invented.

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 09:48 AM
link   

No.

It just moves really slow as radio waves travel s-l-o-w-e-r than light.

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Based on science as we know it today? FTL is impossible.

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Of course, everyone is too embarrased to talk about breaking the law...

edit on 3/6/2018 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 10:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

No.

It just moves really slow as radio waves travel s-l-o-w-e-r than light.
Radio and light are just different frequencies on the electromagnetic spectrum. Both travel at the speed of light in a vacuum. I don't know where you got the idea radio waves travel slower than light.

originally posted by: evc1shop

I am not saying it, I am saying that there was a thread on here discussing that it may have been achieved. I simply recalled it when I saw you post and thought, that might be how it would be done.
here is the Link to ATS post
I read the story in that link. Does it say faster than light somewhere? I couldn't find it. Maybe you misinterpreted it.

Traveling at faster than light speed is a science fiction concept, so being fictional you can make up pretty much whatever you want to, that's what fiction is. There have been hypothesized "tachyon" particles which might travel faster than light but there's no evidence for them that I know of. The Sci-fi solution in "Star-Trek" was a made up concept called "subspace", which I have no idea exactly what that is or how it works other than it is a fictional concept allowing FTL communication because otherwise how are you going to get orders from star fleet command after traveling at warp speed?

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 06:25 AM
link   
There's the time dilation to consider. At light speed moving away from Earth, you will get nothing from mission control, ad won't be able to send anything to them either. From your frame of reference, Earth and everyone on it would seem to have stopped in time.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join