It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Jump To Light Speed - Are All Communications Instantly Terminated?.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 01:33 AM
link   
In attempting to find out how a ship moving at (or above) the Speed of Light, could communicate with Mission Control back on Earth, there's virtually nothing to be found but the theories listed in this Wiki article.

Faster Than Light Communications: en.wikipedia.org...

So I'll ask my really smart ATS colleagues for YOUR opinions/theories.

Question: If you are on a spacecraft departing Earth at sub-light speed and communicating with mission control, what happens the moment you jump to (or reach) the speed of light? Will all you hear, is the same spoken word that reached your antenna the moment you hit light speed, because that word is flying away from Earth at the same speed as you are now?

When you tune to other Earth Frequencies, all you'll hear are frozen single tones that represent a part of a word, or a single note from a song that's travelling away from Earth at the same speed you are, from various broadcast mediums?

How about when you press the button to talk to Earth..or to send information. The transmissions would never leave the broadcast antenna would they?

Based on science that we know of today, when You reach Light Speed, your ability to electronically communication with anyone beyond your vessel is instantly terminated, isn't it?

Thanks in advance for any insightful comments, thoughts, theories!

-CareWeMust

edit on 6/3/2018 by carewemust because: slight wording adjustment

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 01:58 AM
link   
Quantum entanglement.

You vibrate the entangled bits with you on your star trek voyage and the entangled bits left on earth vibrate at the same instant. Decode the vibrations.

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 01:59 AM
link   
In that moment I guess the sound would be fragmented, the word will still be ariving but it would get streeched out and would turn into background noise in a week or two.

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 02:01 AM
link   
I wonder if you would need to use a quantum-tangled transmitting and receiving device pair. Maybe start a transmission in sub-light speed and then the receiver is good the rest of the trip. I don't know and I suspect it is not possible though I believe there was a post on ATS, maybe last year, about NASA and Mars communications and the possibility that a transmission was sent earlier than the public had knowledge of... maybe I will search for it when I get a little more time.

ETA: I see TInFoilTP beat me to it.

edit on 3-6-2018 by evc1shop because: eta

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 02:01 AM
link   
Use the Astronomican of course!

Honestly, i think if you move faster than the radio waves, new communications wouldnt be able to reach you, unless you only traveled in a circle around whatever was broadcasting and the messege was sent to where you would be...

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 02:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinfoilTP
Quantum entanglement.

You vibrate the entangled bits with you on your star trek voyage and the entangled bits left on earth vibrate at the same instant. Decode the vibrations.

In your opinion, what will mankind achieve first? That method of communications, or flying a human being at light speed, without killing him?

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 02:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

Quantum entanglement.

In your opinion, what will mankind achieve first? That method of communications, or flying a human being at light speed, without killing him?

Objects with mass will never reach light speed.

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 02:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Spacespider
In that moment I guess the sound would be fragmented, the word will still be ariving but it would get streeched out and would turn into background noise in a week or two.

Thank-you for the feedback. I imagine you'd feel totally removed from our civilization at that point. But maybe you'd start to pick up inbound communications from other civilizations. Not comprehendable though.

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 02:44 AM
link   

Quantum entanglement.

Wouldn't work if they are traveling at the speed of light time dilation would make this unusable. Even if they could somehow know which entangled photons switched it would take them weeks to do so. A 5 min message would take several hours to read on earth. And then comes the problem of knowing when the changes occurred to read the message.

There will never be communication through entanglement for messages. The best you can hope for is encryption where you already have the information needed.

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 02:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Whoisjohngalt

Honestly, i think if you move faster than the radio waves, new communications wouldnt be able to reach you, unless you only traveled in a circle around whatever was broadcasting and the messege was sent to where you would be...

Any EM communication isn't going to work at light speed. The signal would severely red shift to the point of being unusable.

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 02:46 AM
link   
a reply to: evc1shop

You're saying that NASA scientists have already been experimenting with faster-than-light speed communications?

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 02:47 AM
link   

Quantum entanglement.

Traveling at light speed provided negative mass actually exists. If it doesn't then neither of them will ever occur.

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 02:49 AM
link   

Sort of related to your statment, it blows my mind that when we look at the stars, none of them are actually where we see them.

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 02:50 AM
link   

Quantum entanglement.

Doesn't a laser have mass? It travels at the speed of light and can damage objects that do have mass, if it's powerful enough.

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 02:55 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

I am not saying it, I am saying that there was a thread on here discussing that it may have been achieved. I simply recalled it when I saw you post and thought, that might be how it would be done.
here is the Link to ATS post
edit on 3-6-2018 by evc1shop because: formatting

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 02:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr

Quantum entanglement.

Traveling at light speed provided negative mass actually exists. If it doesn't then neither of them will ever occur.

If negative mass doesn't exist, then we'll need to tap into the paranormal, I suppose. Some people who come back from near-death say that they visited distant worlds. But maybe those worlds are close, and on another plane of existance.

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 03:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr

Any EM communication isn't going to work at light speed. The signal would severely red shift to the point of being unusable.

After googling red shift, i now have follow up questions.
This thing..
.en.m.wikipedia.org...
Is it moving? What would happen to any light or radiation sent from it?
edit on 3-6-2018 by Whoisjohngalt because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 03:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: evc1shop

I am not saying it, I am saying that there was a thread on here discussing that it may have been achieved. I simply recalled it when I saw you post and thought, that might be how it would be done.
here is the Link to ATS post

Thank-you for taking the time to look up and share that thread! The Quantum communications theory is fascinating and it sounds "doable" eventually.

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 03:05 AM
link   

Quantum entanglement.

Doesn't a laser have mass? It travels at the speed of light and can damage objects that do have mass, if it's powerful enough.

no it is the energy that damages mass not mass damaging mass.

to the other poster, motion and distance have no effect on entanglement and since entangled photons have no mass, mass has no effect either.

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 03:40 AM
link   

If light speed (or anything close to it) ever occurs, there will be no Houston. The mission control will be the ship itself, though I'm sure messages will be sent back to Earth

top topics

<<   2 >>

join