It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Costco Raises Starting Wage With Help from GOP Tax Cuts

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 11:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Pyle

originally posted by: Krakatoa

originally posted by: toysforadults
if they raise it several more dollars it will have kept up with inflation for the last 3-4 years

Are these then considered "crumbs" Ms. Pelosi?

Or would you rather the business keep the wage the same and keep the money from the tax cuts? At least then, you WOULD have a reason to complain.

Now, not so much.

How is people getting a wage raise a bad thing?

Costco isnt standard operating procedure for most of the US. They are the exception not the rule. If how Costco treated employees was the norm across the country DEMS wouldnt be making a big deal about wages and benefits.

Now THAT is a coherent perspective. Where were you earlier to discuss this topic on an adult level?

I agree, they are the exception. And, being so, woudn't you think it more productive to hail this manner of business? So far all I've seen (with your exception) is complaints that it's not enough.

Well, the journey of a thousand miles begins with the first few steps. And we will never complete that journey if we listen to the naysayers saying "it's only a few steps, it's not enough to get where you are going, it's a waste".

I am happy to hear you state that, yes, it is a good thing, and we need more of this type of business practice.

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 11:34 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

This is great and all but I hate how they try and make it sound like 13 or 14 dollars an hour is good pay for doing anything.

LOL they want you to work a whole hour for 14 bucks. I Paid a kid 20 bucks to mow my lawn the other day and he was done in about 40 minutes, and he bagged the grass.

But they want to pay adults with kids and bills and car payments and rent 14 frikin dollars an hour.

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 11:55 PM
link   

please, quit celebrating your masters for giving you peanuts

Tell that to people in the welfare line, not people who work for a living.

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 11:58 PM
link   
a reply to: notsure1

I remember when I was younger my allowance was like 5 dollars a week assuming I did all my chores. I made bank mowing lawns and painting the address on the curb. I think I was making 60-70 bucks a week.

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 12:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Allaroundyou
a reply to: notsure1

I remember when I was younger my allowance was like 5 dollars a week assuming I did all my chores. I made bank mowing lawns and painting the address on the curb. I think I was making 60-70 bucks a week.

I never got an allowance.

BUt people could make more money pushing a lawnmower up and down the street then can at costco.

And its tax free and you cn take a break whenever the #### you want

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 12:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: rollanotherone
a reply to: toysforadults

Aaaaaaand another non argument. It's funny how I can see your clear Max impersonation, compound the fact you're "very familiar" with his work, yet you fail to recognize the clear imitation. I've listened to countless talks where he makes the exact argument you're making, but does it more eloquently and with more tact. It's like watching a 16 year old imitate Hunter Thompson. But, keep it up. It's very amusing.

wow, yeah I'm Max Igan, anyway let me know when you have more than this to offer

enjoy your $2 an hour raise (even though it's worth less than what you started with in purchasing power in comparison to what it could buy 3 years ago)

not sure you would understand that concept though
edit on 3-6-2018 by toysforadults because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 12:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha

please, quit celebrating your masters for giving you peanuts

Tell that to people in the welfare line, not people who work for a living.

I'm not sure what welfare has to do with the topic

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 12:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

Where were you earlier to discuss this topic on an adult level?

Interesting.

Are these then considered "crumbs" Ms. Pelosi?

First you insult me by calling me Ms Pelosi like it's some kind of insult because obviously I'm a Democrat.

And you keep complaining about anything that doesn't get you free stuff or a higher wage for flipping burgers or working the checkout line at Costco.

Then you build a strawman argument that has nothing to do with anything I've said, maybe anywhere ever for that matter not sure.

Enjoy wallowing in your self pity.

This is a response to my statement:

I couldn't care less about who's pretending to be in power

Not sure how this related to me wallowing in self pity. Are you trying to build another strawman here that allegedly my perspective when in fact it's not??

Just curious what you think an adult conversation is because I don't think it's hurling personal insults and fabricating strawmen and attacking the strawman as if it's the argument I'm making.
edit on 3-6-2018 by toysforadults because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 12:31 AM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

Yeah. Keep it up maxie pad. You're such an educated elitist. Must be hard, you know. The higher, the fewer. Man. I think it's time to pop in some actual Max and "learn me sum perch hissing power".

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 12:31 AM
link   
a reply to: rollanotherone

Feel free to make an assertion, go ahead...

or you can call me maxie pad that's great... I'm really good at name calling as well but I'll get banned

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Feel free to make an assertion, go ahead...

or you can call me maxie pad that's great... I'm really good at name calling as well but I'll get banned
Yeah. You worry too much. It's that elitist in you. Don't worry so much about perception. No one cares except you.

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 12:37 AM
link   

maybe the other poster was referencing you when he was talking about adult conversation

not sure what elitism you are referring to... you mean actually expecting you to make an argument BEFORE calling me Max Igan?

Not sure how anything I said has anything to do with anything Max Igan says. I've listened to him a lot, care to share?

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 02:18 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Just trying to point out some math for everyone.

What happens when you give your minimum wage workers a larger increas than your mid level workers?

Minimum wage $10, mid level wage $15.
Minimum wage $11 mid level wage $15.50
Minimum wage $12, mid level wage $16.
Minimum wage $13, mid level wage $16.50.
Minimum wage $14, mid level wage $17.
Minimum wage $15, mid level wage $17.50.
$16, $18
$17-$18.5
$18-$19
$19-$19.50
$20- $20 communism.

This is what happens everytime the minimum wage goes up. The mid level wage never increases by the same amount as the minimum level.

I know this is slightly exaggerated and that a mid level employee will always make more than an entry level employee. But that gap keeps narrowing when minimum wage increases. And each time it does we step one step closer to the elitists brand of communism that can do nothing but stifle competition and destroy a nation.

Be careful what you ask for.

edit on 3-6-2018 by Isurrender73 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 02:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Isurrender73

This is what happens everytime the minimum wage goes up. The mid level wage never increases by the same amount as the minimum level.

What exactly is a mid level wage?

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 03:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

originally posted by: Isurrender73

What exactly is a mid level wage?

When I say mid level I am talking about the mid level managers.

Top level managers always get theirs because they make the decisions.

***Example***
I have worked in food and retail for my entire career. These numbers are not guesses they are based on real numbers.

1993 California

Full time minimum wage 1993
40 hours × 52 weeks × $4.75 = $9880
28% of GM wage

Mid level (shift manager)
40 hours × 52 weeks × $6.75 =$14,040
40% of GM wage

General maager
Annual sallary $35,000

2018 California

Minimum
40 hours × 52 weeks × $11.00 = $22,880
45.5% of GM wage

Mid level
40 hours × 52 weeks × $13.50 = $28,080
56% of GM wage

General Manager
$50,000

The closer the minimum wage and median wage get to the GM position the less motivated people are too advance. No motivation equalls no production which is why communism doesn't work.

Hopefully this makes sense to everyone.

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 07:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Isurrender73

It did and thank you!

Despite the misery some people were posting earlier about such as "accepting crumbs from their masters" I have to say while the pay bump being given may not look like much in places like the east coast, or California in locations in the rust belt 14 bucks an hour is a decent living, especially if you are a two income family.

Now fer sure it's no where near what people were making before manufacturings demise, but lets compare Apples to Apples. Most retail jobs are still paying 8.50 to 9 bucks an hour. Amazon fulfillment jobs pay almost on par with CostCo however the job requirements are almost double, plus CostCo offers their employees buy in capacity (IIRC).

I mentioned Amazon centers because they've been touted as the next great savior in new jobs in many of the same area's as CostCo operates in. Sam's Club pays less, Lowes pays better but has been asking that sales associates have a minimum Associates degree from a college, Home Depot unless you're experienced in a Trade ( plumber, electrician) pays less.

ALL of this adds up to CostCo's pay raise as a good deal for their employees.
Unless of course that new $$$ is going to be eaten up by a higher employee contribution to their health care plan come November.

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 01:03 PM
link   
We have a Costco opening up near me in July.Unfortunately,they are only offering 24 hrs. A week.

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Costco is a very liberal company, that's the only reason they are raising pay. Most businesses waste the money on stocks or bonuses for execs and other things that do nothing for 90% of the country.
edit on 3-6-2018 by CB328 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 04:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: buckwhizzle
We have a Costco opening up near me in July.Unfortunately,they are only offering 24 hrs. A week.

Two jobs that don't equal one full time with benefits.

Two jobs added that don't equal one real job, or what a real job used to be.

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 05:02 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

I think most jobs were viewed as real jobs by older generations

my grandmother taught me to never look down on someone but she is from the great depression/ ww2 generation and they weren't totally selfish narcissist

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join