It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Costco Raises Starting Wage With Help from GOP Tax Cuts

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 09:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Southern Guardian
a reply to: xuenchen

The last time Costco raised it wages was back in March 2016 under the Obama administration. The last time prior to that was 2007 before the major economic collapse. The wage was raised from $13-$13.50 and now it's been raised again to $14.00. This is mainly because the economy has been on the up since the mid-2010s. There's little to no evidence to show that Trump's corporate tax cuts are the root of this.

Also the annual fee has been raised. Don't forget, Costco in not only America these days, they are expanding in Japan with lower wages based on monthly pay and not hourly pay such as in America.

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 10:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

Wup-tee-frikin-do !!

And back then Democrats were shouting that corps pay too little taxes !!

🤦🚬

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 10:01 PM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

is that's true that means CostCo and other companies may find better opportunities over seas and divest or divert funds, it would be a better ROI anyway so why would they continue to do business here if it can be done elsewhere cheaper?

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 10:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
a reply to: Southern Guardian

Wup-tee-frikin-do !!

And back then Democrats were shouting that corps pay too little taxes !!

🤦🚬

Also note that Japan has lowered the tariffs on cheese, meats and wine from America. Those profits are now being shared with the American employees. The man how runs Costco is a true American patriot. Just like President Trump.

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 10:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults

is that's true that means CostCo and other companies may find better opportunities over seas and divest or divert funds, it would be a better ROI anyway so why would they continue to do business here if it can be done elsewhere cheaper?

Costco doesn't manufacture anything, they do have their own brand, but Costco goes into an area to "help" the average earner keep their standard of living. Haven't you seen that in America, here in Japan it is so true that the customers are so loyal to Costco because their kids and grandparents can work for them. good system I tell ya

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 10:07 PM
link   

CostCo is a business with profits and cost and wherever they can maximize their return they will

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 10:12 PM
link   

CostCo is a business with profits and cost and wherever they can maximize their return they will

True but they give back to the community they are in.

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 10:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: musicismagic

True but they give back to the community they are in.

Their history of higher wages also gets better employees from the start.

Keeps the hopers and loafers working at Walmart.

💮

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 10:16 PM
link   

here is some real economic data that actually matters not the vanilla stuff the major news outlets want you to keep posting

watch that, debt to income ratio far more important, purchasing power far more important than peanuts

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 10:21 PM
link   

a reply to: Krakatoa

And you keep complaining about anything that doesn't get you free stuff or a higher wage for flipping burgers or working the checkout line at Costco.

it's almost like your a bot

And BOOM. There it is. The last punch of a dying argument. You're like a wanna be Max Igan. Except Max actually has a relevant and detailed argument. You? Not so much. Plus, he doesn't hide behind a moniter and keyboard.
On topic. At my job, a major outdoor clothing brand, we all just got raises too. Almost $2.00 an hour increase. But this goes to Southern Guardians point too, the last major pay increase was 3 years ago, so the correlation between God Emperor Donald J Trump (blessed be the name) and the tax cuts being a major factor, don't really add up. BUT, on the upside, the housing market has been skyrocketing under God Emperor Donald J Trump (blessed be the name).
And back to toysforchildren, listen to Max Igan at crowhouse, you're trying REALLY hard to emulate him, even if you don't know who he is. And to further elaborate, I get where you're coming from, and I don't disagree, I just can't help finding the level of butthurt from Never Trumpers to be at an all time comedic level.

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 10:23 PM
link   
a reply to: rollanotherone

in your infinite wisdom provide a point by point analysis of exactly how I sound like Max Igan, I am very familiar with his work, I think you're going to have a hard time doing that

you haven't made an argument only to tell me that mine is wrong

you may think a $2 an hour raise is good however you may not understand purchasing power, not my problem figure it out
edit on 2-6-2018 by toysforadults because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Then, how do you explain their hotdog price? Maybe this will help.
youtu.be...

ETA: and their return policy? Known as one of the best return policies for a business EVER! We returned a 2.5 year old memory foam mattress, AND they actually picked the mattress up at our house. I don't think you really know much about Costco.
edit on 2-6-2018 by rollanotherone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 10:30 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

Aaaaaaand another non argument. It's funny how I can see your clear Max impersonation, compound the fact you're "very familiar" with his work, yet you fail to recognize the clear imitation. I've listened to countless talks where he makes the exact argument you're making, but does it more eloquently and with more tact. It's like watching a 16 year old imitate Hunter Thompson. But, keep it up. It's very amusing.

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 10:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
Big chain store Costco has announced wage hikes !! 😁

And guess why ?

Yup, the tax cuts !!

Starting pay goes up a dollar an hour, and other wages go up a little less.

OK Democrats, when do we start boycotting Costco ? 😃

Note the payroll tax income for the Gov will increase too !! 🤦

Costco Raises Starting Wage With Help from GOP Tax Cuts

Costco Wholesale Corp. said Thursday it would raise its minimum wage and boost pay for 130,000 U.S. store staff, intensifying the battle for workers in a tight U.S. job market.

The retail chain, second only to Walmart Inc. in terms of U.S. sales, said it would increase its starting hourly wages by $1 to $14 or $14.50 an hour. Other hourly workers will receive raises of between 25 cents and 50 cents. The new wages take effect on June 11.

Executives said the company was using some of its savings from last year’s U.S. tax overhaul to invest in its workforce. The legislation lowered the corporate tax rate, a boon for companies like Costco with large U.S. operations.

Richard Galanti, Costco’s finance chief, estimated the annual cost of the wage increases will be between $110 million and $120 million pretax. However, he said the company expects an effective tax rate of 28% this fiscal year, compared with about 35% last year.

I don’t shop at any Walmart or Costco. Screw them, when they start paying property taxes then we can talk.
edit on 2/19/2013 by Allaroundyou because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 10:34 PM
link   
To go to a Costco store here in Japan is like going to Disney Land Tokyo. It is just an experience one cant forget. And yes the hot dogs and large coke or whatever drink you want with free refills is only 2.50 yen or about 2 bucks. I'm not too crazy about the pizza though.

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 10:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Allaroundyou

Well that's a powerful statement !!

🔐

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 10:35 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Short and sweet

As you can probably tell I don’t like that company.

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 10:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Allaroundyou

Yeah. My personal gripe is their "no firearms allowed" policy. I understand why, but come on man. Some trigger happy cops shooting a legal concealed carry citizen all because another citizen felt uncomfortable with the legal carry citizen. They caved, it's their business, they can do whatever they want.

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Agreed. The pizza is absolutely garbage. And I see people leaving with 4 or 5 boxes at a time.

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 11:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krakatoa

if they raise it several more dollars it will have kept up with inflation for the last 3-4 years

Are these then considered "crumbs" Ms. Pelosi?

Or would you rather the business keep the wage the same and keep the money from the tax cuts? At least then, you WOULD have a reason to complain.

Now, not so much.

How is people getting a wage raise a bad thing?

Costco isnt standard operating procedure for most of the US. They are the exception not the rule. If how Costco treated employees was the norm across the country DEMS wouldnt be making a big deal about wages and benefits.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join