It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lower The Voting Age?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Seven, that magic number 7...... the age of Reason. Seven should be the new age to Vote.
www.scholastic.com...

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 09:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Plotus
Seven, that magic number 7...... the age of Reason. Seven should be the new age to Vote.
www.scholastic.com...

Lowering the voting age is the first stepping stone to pedophiles running wild in the candy store. If kids can vote then in court the argument will be made that kids can make legal decisions.

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 09:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: theatreboy
www.theblaze.com/video/parkland-teens-want-to-lower-the-voting-age-to-just-16-years-old-and-guess-who-supports-it#comments

So, you are telling me 18 year old kids are not mature enough to own a long rifle...or any firearm before 21, but are mature enough to vote on who runs our country?

Please stop the world, i want to get off...the insanity is driving me nuts!

Or, do away with any age-related restrictions and require proof that for the last three years they've owned/rented their own place and paid their own bills, with a limit on how much of their finances are sourced from welfare to be eligible.

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 10:14 AM
link   
If you pay taxes in America; that's all you should need to vote. Age doesn't matter. And that includes sales taxes....

Everyone should be allowed to vote on how their tax dollars are spent.

edit on 2-6-2018 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 10:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

originally posted by: gortex
a reply to: theatreboy

At what age can you join the military and fight for your country ?
That is the age you should be able to vote.

And buy a gun and drink alcohol. If you can die for your country you should have ALL your rights. 18 is the correct age for all of those.
So could you have a 19 year old who has done a tour say in Afghan, come back and not legally have a drink in a bar? That seem nuts to me.
18 is the limit in the UK but you can drink beer, wine, and cider in a bar from age 16 so long as you buy food and someone 18+ makes the purchase. I used to have some fun nights when my son was 16, just buy him a plate of fries at the same time and we could drink legally together.
Age of consent is 16 here as well, but you can't vote until 18.

Shotgun licenses can be held at any age, but used only under supervision of someone aged 21.
17 is the minimum age to buy a firearm in the UK.

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 10:25 AM
link   
a reply to: TinfoilTP

Age of consent is 16 in the UK and most of Europe. It's only US 16 year olds who apparently deemed children unable to make their minds up.

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 10:26 AM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

The right to say and think really messed up stuff....thats America for sure. 300mil assholes with opinions, some of them really bizzare.

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 10:29 AM
link   

The only reason this is even considered is because leftist see this as an easy way to get more votes.

What the old saying?

A 20 year old conservative has no heart and a 40 year old liberal has no brain.

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Oh yes,

Their F'ing "Dream" is to use school buses (or in many cases schools are used as voting places) to drive high school students to vote for the DNC.

Millions of Democrat votes every election with weeks to prepare propaganda and peer pressure to Vote the "Right" way which is Left.

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 10:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: theatreboy
www.theblaze.com/video/parkland-teens-want-to-lower-the-voting-age-to-just-16-years-old-and-guess-who-supports-it#comments

So, you are telling me 18 year old kids are not mature enough to own a long rifle...or any firearm before 21, but are mature enough to vote on who runs our country?

Please stop the world, i want to get off...the insanity is driving me nuts!

I say we lower the smoking, drinking and voting age to 16 as a means to weed out the stupid.
Heck if you can be emancipated than # it.
The world is already on the highway to Hell anyways. Why slow down now. Bring it on!

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Raise the voting age. Male brain cells apparently don't know they're supposed to be connected to each other until around the age of 30. The ladies somewhat faster.

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Look, here's how it works, and has done for generations... Proposals for reducing the voting age reek of desperation for votes from the naturally left-leaning youth. The fish hook theory of politics says that people are naturally left-leaning in their youth, as they believe in utopian fairness for all, and generally live with their parents (meaning much of what they need is provided without working hard). It's innate that this fairness should be for everyone, as many don't appreciate what work really is when you're dependent on it to provide for your family, or understand how social and economic structures function.

People then gradually move right as they age and have to pay their own way for tax, housing, life in general. They start to feel annoyed that they work hard in life and 40-odd percent of their income is taxed and given to people who don't appear to work hard. They see every change in society as damaging or destroying something that was important or nostalgic to them, particularly post-modernism with banners such as gay marriage or multiculturalism, which pushes them further right due to frustration of no longer having a voice (being called a bigot for having a belief which was considered 'normal' for their whole lives pushes them far right).

Later in life people generally move back towards a centrist position (hence the 'fish hook' term) as people realise that neither party have all the answers.

Simple desperation for lefty votes. That's all it is. They don't actually give a f^ck what young people think.

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 10:54 AM
link   
How about we put a limit on the other end of voting age? I think a lot of our problems are the result of our laws being made and enforced by people that’ll be dead from old age in 10-20 years.

People have a tendency to look backwards with nostalgia when they get older. Everything is simpler, and better in a remembered time, mostly because it’s already happened.

While looking backwards with fondness is good for antique shopping or telling your grandchildren stories, it’s the opposite of what should dictate policies the rest of us will have to live under for the next 50+ years.

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 11:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks
How about we put a limit on the other end of voting age? I think a lot of our problems are the result of our laws being made and enforced by people that’ll be dead from old age in 10-20 years.

People have a tendency to look backwards with nostalgia when they get older. Everything is simpler, and better in a remembered time, mostly because it’s already happened.

While looking backwards with fondness is good for antique shopping or telling your grandchildren stories, it’s the opposite of what should dictate policies the rest of us will have to live under for the next 50+ years.

You make a good point. You do, however, omit life experience. Those are people who have 'been there, done that and have the T-shirt'.....

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 11:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks

yes

once you hit 70. shut up

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 11:48 AM
link   
At first I was going to snap off a quick response to this but the more I thought about it the more I realized it cant be treated flippantly. There is merit to both sides of this discussion.

On one hand I have to say I was one of those people who said, "I can join the military and fight for my country but I can't drink a beer or vote. What the hell?" On the surface that seems to make sense and shows a duplicity in the treatment of those whom are 18+ years old. However, having been in the military I know you cant use military life, especially in a time of war, in any comparison to civilian life. It is so strictly regimented and supervised that any errant "scatterbrained teen" antics are so unlikely to occur it is hardly worth mentioning.

Left to their own devices, on the other hand, teens can find an astounding number of ways to get themselves in trouble with seemingly mundane things. Tide Pods come to mind for some reason. The teen mentality is still there. In the military it is under close scrutiny at all times. In civilian life, not so much. The propensity for the scatterbrained teen emerging is considerably more likely.

And we have to remember that, for the most part, today's teens are soft by comparison. Not just physically but emotionally. If the mere presence of masculinity sends you in to a triggered panic attack requiring a safe space crying room and a therapy dog perhaps deciding our next POTUS is a tad beyond your capacity. But therein lies the problem. Its not just teenagers. A great many of their parents were running around with vagina hats, collapsing in a fetal position, wailing, "Not my President!" Its not just physical years, its emotional maturity too.

Selecting our POTUS is a serious thing and deserves our best most diligent consideration. You can't elect a POTUS because "Its time for a black man to win", or, "Its time for a woman to win". It is never time for that kind of segregation of candidates. It is always time for the best person for the job to win - regardless of skin color, gender, or affiliation. As a nation we need the best person for the job every time. Not the best "some select group" has to offer.

Having seen today's youth I have come to the conclusion that the majority are not capable of voting with the maturity and sensibility the task demands. Teens have an inclination to rebellion. The highest office in the land is not the proper platform for angst driven rebellion.

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 11:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth
Voting age should be raised.

I agree. It should be at least 25.

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Glenn Beck really did go all in for Hillary. Caught part of his show one day where he was mocking people for suggesting that he took a pay out from Clinton... but it seemed more like he was trying to get out in front of something. Lower the voting age so impressionable children will vote the way they have been taught... wonder who that benifits?So sad, some people are just for sell
edit on 2-6-2018 by onthedownlow because: Aggregious spelling mistake

ETA- In all fairness I did not follow the link, I just have a hard time believing that Beck is not for sale to the highest bidder

edit on 2-6-2018 by onthedownlow because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Feeling if one has no voice? Go to a restaurant... and order the: Yo resta ur ant! As it is just more mountains not really mole sauce.

The: "Have it your way" place; still cuts the cheese. Why is flame grilled better? Why that garlic infused gas; of course. Just an unexpected side effect to add odor to know if there was a leak. If you hold the leeks; the onion does not mind as it can still grow on.

I can understand why many want to get their political voices heard; pro tip: Patience is a better virtue.

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Old enough to vote? Old enough to sign up for the draft! Speaking of equality and all females should be included!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join