It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS How many of you can verbally count to 1000 w /o forgetting place, or getting distracted?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 06:30 PM
link   
I can do it only if I count by 100s. There's no way I could count to 1000 by ones. My brain just wouldn't cooperate. I guess I have the dyscalculia.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 06:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler
a reply to: TheJesuit

I started giggling at 420 and failed

You done better than me I got to 69, smirked and lost count

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Holy crap i did it!! i giggled and fidgeted a lot while whispering out loud one two... and it took 20 minutes!!
it became an effort to force myself to continue now i shall try to do it mentally it takes determination there was a few times i had to remember the last number where i was in the count to continue and of course laughing at my self sitting on the couch counting.... but it can be done ill try it mentally that should be a lot harder. we'll see.....

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 07:35 PM
link   
ATS: How many of you feel like verbally count to 1000 w /o forgetting place, or getting distracted?

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 07:54 PM
link   
ATS How many of you can verbally count to 1000 w /o forgetting place, or getting distracted?

I have better things to spend my time on.

If I wanted to hear it counted.

I'd search Youtube and there'd be a video on it.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 08:04 PM
link   
You only have to count to 3 to get to the center of a tootsie roll pop.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 08:25 PM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

It is taught that way because if you count numbers you keep your left brain engaged.

A folly, in my opinion.

Keeping a tactile count keeps count but does not engage the left brain. Or the consciousness, as much.

Being in the right brain and loose of your consciousness is the best thing that could ever happen to you.

That's where the magic is, as it were.

Good post...

ETA.. that is going to make sense to probably 7 people. Sorry.
edit on 1-6-2018 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Nah, my Fitbit counts my steps tho.

Need a clicker like the mall watchers have.

But that's cheating, right?

Gotta use the Mentat power.

Not happening, oh look, a squirrel!

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Not gonna do it...
Wouldn't be prudent.
There's an old saying in Tennessee .......

edit on 2018-06-01T20:51:34-05:002201801America/Chicago6 by c2oden because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 09:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

Well if you really want to know the magic trick..

All meditation is the same. One is not better than the other. Your intent, desire, and determination is the only way to find spirit.

All roads lead to Rome. Blaze your own trail or follow someone else's.

This is just my very humble opinion of course.

edit on 1-6-2018 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 09:15 PM
link   

When I was very young my friend's Dad used to take all of us kids into the living room. We would lay flat and so would he and he would, in a very calm and soothing voice, begin to tell us to relax our toes, relax our feet, relax our ankles and so on and so forth.
I could hardly wait to hear the slow breathing and would sneak back outside to play.

I don't think I have the calmness to relax or meditate or whatever. It seems as if the only time it is possible is when I am in the water or at the ocean...

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 09:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha
a reply to: Lumenari

Well if you really want to know the magic trick..

All meditation is the same. One is not better than the other. Your intent, desire, and determination is the only way to find spirit.

All roads lead to Rome. Blaze your own trail or follow someone else's.

This is just my very humble opinion of course.

I have my own magic trick... just not Eastern-based.

You are correct, in my humble opinion... there are many paths to the same destination.

I was just trying to point out that you can only really be on the path if you are in your right mind.

Being in the left side of your mind is the world, after all.

edit on 1-6-2018 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Ain't nobody got time for that.

Also i have ADD so probably not.

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 08:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheJesuit
So now im pissed A little because how can I not control my own thoughts!

The thing is they are not your thoughts!! And worse than that - there is no you thinking!!
There is no 'thinker' - there are just thoughts happening.

Is there any relationship between the thinker and his thought, or is there only thought and not a thinker? If there are no thoughts there is no thinker. When you have thoughts, is there a thinker? Perceiving the impermanency of thoughts, thought itself creates the thinker who gives himself permanency; so thought creates the thinker; then the thinker establishes himself as a permanent entity apart from thoughts which are always in a state of flux. So, thought creates the thinker and not the other way about. The thinker does not create thought, for if there are no thoughts, there is no thinker. The thinker separates himself from his parent and tries to establish a relationship, a relationship between the so-called permanent, which is the thinker created by thought, and the impermanent or transient, which is thought. So, both are really transient.

Pursue a thought completely to its very end. Think it out fully, feel it out and discover for yourself what happens. You will find that there is no thinker at all. For, when thought ceases, the thinker is not. We think there are two states, as the thinker and the thought. These two states are fictitious, unreal. There is only thought, and the bundle of thought creates the 'me', the thinker. Jiddu Kristnamurti.
www.reddit.com...

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 08:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: airforce47
A flag for a funny thread and I could do it but it would be a waste of time such as reading this thread but the ensuing laugh is worth the loss of time...

Yeah I could fly to the moon and back in 5 minutes - but I can't be bothered.

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Never mind. .
Apparently some folks can't concentrate for Sixteen minutes and forty seconds.
Should have gone to Catholic school. They teach that.
edit on 622018 by Sillyolme because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Most people don't have the ability to hold their own attention and focus because they are bombarded by changing images and texts through technology and media. I could count to 1000 pretty easily, but I have training in focus from a variety of experiences in my life.

Why do you think song intros are now very short or nonexistant?

Why do you think movies start the action almost immediately? Go watch a scifi or action film from the 70s and you'll see a huge difference in this.

Why are ads one or two words?

It's all around us. But, there is a point where we can no longer reduce the information and still communicate any kind of message. I'd say we're reading that point right about now.

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 11:09 AM
link   
My advice is get a rosary.
The Hare Krishnas optimally chant 16 rounds of their "japa beads" everyday, and each rosary has 108 beads.
Every chant of: "Hare Krishna, Hare Krishna, Krishna Krishna Hare Hare/Hare Rama Hare Rama, Rama Rama Hare Hare" is counted and accounted for.

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Meditation is all this is; working on something known as; Samadhi or one pointedness. Removing all errant distractions... have you leaped from the 1000 foot pole? Or just hanging around on a post?

Once you land try to widen that mental quiessence; four years of mental silence is suggested... or else you'll be just as rotten as any ol proselizer.

Here's a couple of other words to consider; Vipassana(not to be confused with the member) and Shamatha.

All paths cross wearing one or not.

edit on 2-6-2018 by BEBOG because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 12:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: BEBOG
Once you land try to widen that mental quiessence; four years of mental silence is suggested... or else you'll be just as rotten as any ol proselizer.

This video was made for you!

As the vid starts the words 'No one is thinking these words' appear as the title.

The trick is to see that thoughts appear and disappear - no one is thinking. The belief that there is a separate you thinking is conflict - when the two become one the kingdom shall be revealed.
There is no one thinking!!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join