It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump's tariffs should be an affront to anybody claiming to support the freemarket

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 01:55 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
Well it is what it is.
the aliens are doing the same thing in space, in every galaxy in the universe. This trait is not even exclusive to humans on Earth, as many mammal and insect species repeat similar behavior. This is just what life is man. You think when penicillin is going to war with strep, that there aren't a handful of microbes down there in the mix having the same thoughts??

I certainly applaud your efforts to educate though with your video series. You should really develop a system to monetize them though. For some reason when money is involved, more people are exposed to it.

posted on Jun, 3 2018 @ 02:03 PM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

Getting it up anywhere besides Daily Motion / Archive.org is the hurdle. Youtyube nails the F out of every piece of it. Liveleak wouldnt even discuss its merits of Fair Use with me. Logins are non-existent now in all the public tracker torrent sites I checked (a very puzzling & worrying development there). Hell, even here at ATS they wouldnt let me post the parts into the forum categories they 'belong' in, instead moved them into "General Conspiracies".

Then to finish Episode 12 to wrap up the First Season, I need some narrator help to make it 'mine' and set teh rest of the series up. SO couple that with I had a freak skin allergy kick my ass around then (and for many months beyond it), facing total destitution if I pushed on at the time. And so on. Its on hiatus ATM. Deep summer I should wrap up the last few episodes finally at least (9, 10 and 11 are done actually) assuming I get the narrator help I need (got a good 10 minutes worth I cant finish 12 without it).

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 08:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

What's different this time around?

Their cult like devotion !
Nothing he does can be wrong or stupid to them.

I support Trump when he is doing the right thing, but I will attack him when he is doing wrong, like putting outlandish tariffs on Made In North American goods. What he should do is grandfather all existing goods made and sold and shipped in North America. Putting tariffs on everything from all over the world is way to disruptive to the economy, just do it to China and leave Mexico and Canada alone. You could also say any new manufacturing plants that move from the USA to Mexico will be subjugated to this. His way is too abrupt, and we don't need to anger long time allies like Canada.

So he is wrong on this move.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 09:14 AM
link   
He’s kinda right. This is nothing more than red meat for the brain dead’s. Just like coal jobs. All this will do is create more wealth at the top. The jobs are gone. They aren’t coming back. Ah, why bother USA, USA, USA....a reply to: Southern Guardian

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 11:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

Fun fact: Tarriff's were the main source of government revenue before the 1913 income tax was instituted. Also, that income tax was 1% on incomes over $3k (That's over 74k today).

So no, tarriff's are not an affront to a free market economy. Anyone saying that is definitely not an economist. Now they are an affront to free trade. But that is not the same as the free market.

I propose we eliminate the income tax and go back to tarriff's (and I'm a free market advocate).
edit on 4-6-2018 by Dfairlite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 11:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
a reply to: enlightenedservant

And when they ignore requests to drop the tariffs they've held on US for decades despite US giving them all that nice free trade idealism (you INSIST on keeping this entire discussion framed around), what negotiating tactic do you say ought to happen? Anything but counter-tariffs, right?

Are these "tariffs" not 'counter-tariffs'? My impression is they are and and that's why I dont give a snip.

I "insist on keeping this entire discussion framed around" it because that's what the OP is about. Or am I supposed to take this thread off topic?

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 11:35 AM
link   
a reply to: jacobe001

Yeah, which is why pro-free market people would be continuing to work to reduce the economic barriers and burdens, not literally increasing them.

Think about it, China was largely closed to the West economically until Chairman Deng's reforms from 1978 until the late 1980s. Free market and free trade proponents further worked to reduce trade barriers with China through the infamous acceptance of China into the WTO at the end of Pres Clinton's 2nd term. Then free market and free trade proponents further reduced trade barriers & even crafted economic incentives with China throughout the 2000's when much of the West transferred its manufacturing base to China.

No global system will ever follow a single economic ideology 100%. However, proponents of different ideologies will always be working to increase the presence of their own policies while working to reduce the presence of policies that go against their economic ideologies. Hence why it doesn't make sense for pro-free trade proponents to push policies that are literally against free trade.

posted on Jun, 4 2018 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

Except what we have now is not free trade. Especially with china, but even with canada and mexico. In order for it to be free trade, it has to be reciprocal. What we have here is not-free-trade being replaced with a more equal not-free-trade. Notice the complaints:
USA: Trade partner x is preventing us from selling xyz or taxing our goods. (current tense)
Trade partner x: The US is going to impose tarriffs on us, that's not fair! (future tense)

Even the language of the complaints makes it clear we don't currently have free trade.

posted on Jun, 5 2018 @ 09:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Blue_Jay33

The problem with tariffs on China only was that they would still dump into our market through a third party country who will change the origination paperwork for a nominal fee and continue dumping on us. They did it to the honey market and continue to flood us with cheap blends made with rice syrup!!!

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join