It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jury gives 4 cents to family of black man killed by Florida cop

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 04:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Butterfinger

So he doesn't matter, who cares if he died? He was a loser nobody. Right? Doesn't sound much better honestly.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 04:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Butterfinger
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Get off your high horses, I didnt say kill him because he still lives at home! LOL

I said he was going nowhere anyway.

Look at this life trajectory;

Kids in another house, lives in garage at 30, drunk in the middle of the day across the street from a school blazing fool's music, and answering the door with a gun?

Not the life habits of successful people.

Why do we all have to be "successful" to avoid being murdered?

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 04:23 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

The first thing you're taught in training as a cop is to shoot blindly through doors regardless of who is in said building. He was following the book! /sarcasm

For all this cop knew there was a kid in the garage or in the adjoining house, he should have been found guilty for negligence because he risked more than this man's life by shooting through a closed door blindly. It was stupid and irresponsible, I would think that would be obvious to anyone with half a brain.
edit on 6/1/2018 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

edit on 6/1/2018 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 04:27 PM
link   
If the title read...

"Jury gives 4 cents to family of man killed by Florida cop"

No one would care...

Let's stop making everything about color and make it about humanity as a whole.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 04:30 PM
link   

I do see where you are going with this. Civil lawsuit after the officer was already cleared of criminal charges is frivolous. Wastes court time and yes, even tax monies simply to process.

I may feel differently if officer was guilty on criminal charges.

Personal note: when it was discovered my daughter was raped repeatedly by a man in his 60s, the suspect offered me a couple hundred thousand dollars to make it go away. I recorded his conversation. No, criminal trial was needed since he pled guilty knowing I had this. Lawyers wanted me to file civil lawsuit too. We didn't. It was best for my daughter to recover and simply break all contact for her and us to move forward.

Lawyers knew they had an easy case and were scavengers not caring about us at all. We were not seeking revenge, simply justice.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Yet the world still turns.

He wont be the last human to die disregarded for dumb choices they made themselves.

A jury of our peers seem to agree, as he wasn't worth a compensation.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 04:32 PM
link   
a reply to: matafuchs

I agree.

I don't think race is nearly as big of an issue as police shooting someone through a closed door.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 04:35 PM
link   
The jury heard the entire story. Lots of people here are making stuff up and saying how they would rule based on what they made up. None of us heard the testimony. The jury did. End of story.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 04:37 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

I cannot help but believe that there is more to this story that the jury deliberated upon than what this article is relaying. Criminal charges and even negligence was not applied due to information that they had and we are not getting from this civil lawsuit story.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Why do we all have to be "successful" to avoid being murdered?

Not what I said at all, why focus on one point I'm not trying to make in a post that has many other words included that you sifted through to run with your narrative.

Here is why I believe what I do:

Kids in another house, lives in garage at 30, drunk in the middle of the day across the street from a school blazing fool's music, and answering the door with a gun?

You can be successful and do the same, but chances are these are not habits of someone who is working on their life just to tread water, let alone be a "success"(relative term used relatively).

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 05:05 PM
link   
It isnt uncommon for me to have a firearm nearby when i answer the door at night. If someone bangs on my door im sure to actually.

Sorry Burd....i disagree. The guy was at home and was shot by an officer firing blindly through a closed door. The cop should be fired at least...imprisoned preferrably.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 05:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: notsure1

originally posted by: Indigent
So the guy was drinking and listening music at his house and got shot through a door because he had an unloaded gun in his back pocket, yeah he was 99% at fault of being black, or is it you cannot no longer drink, listen music and own guns in you house?

Yeah this is a disgrace. The guy is in his own house cops just dont like doors shut in their face.

You better respect their authority.

He answered the door with a gun in his hand.

No he didn't. They found the gun after they shot him, unloaded and in his back pocket

Toxicology reports had shown Hill had been intoxicated at the time of the incident and the SWAT team found a gun in the 30-year-old's back pocket, but it was not loaded, TCPalm reported.
www.yahoo.com...

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 05:06 PM
link   

The criminal trial of the officer involved found him not guilty, therefore this civil trial should never have taken place, period.

The cop that pulled the trigger here was found not guilty too in the criminal trial

I hope the family of this unarmed dead guy find some justice in the civil trial

Jesus #in Christ....what a pathetic cowardly piece of #.....that was nothing but an execution...

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 05:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: notsure1

So the guy was drinking and listening music at his house and got shot through a door because he had an unloaded gun in his back pocket, yeah he was 99% at fault of being black, or is it you cannot no longer drink, listen music and own guns in you house?

Yeah this is a disgrace. The guy is in his own house cops just dont like doors shut in their face.

You better respect their authority.

He answered the door with a gun in his hand.

I do that all the time... Did he know it was cops? I would guess probably not..

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Once again I find myself having to side against the LEO's which always troubles me since I'm pro law enforcement. I can't defend how that went down and what's happened since.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 05:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555
Once again I find myself having to side against the LEO's which always troubles me since I'm pro law enforcement. I can't defend how that went down and what's happened since.

I don't think you really need to be worried about being inconsistent. There were no laws being enforced here, just a law abiding citizen being shot to death in his own home. It's okay to be against that.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 05:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Butterfinger

I said he was going nowhere anyway. Look at this life trajectory;

So now we have what? ....I take it you are a millionaire and successful in everything you have ever done. Must be nice.

We should get a team of you guys and just send you around to rid us of all the undesirables.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 05:46 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

I don't disagree with you, dude. I'm generally carrying, BUT if I slammed a door on a cop, I'd be doing so with the expectation of giving and receiving some holes. My point is that the "wrongness" of the officer here was a matter for a criminal court, which did not have enough evidence for a grand jury indictment, let alone conviction... thus, the civil case shouldn't even be a thing. If the argument is that the justice system is broken, then yeah, I can't disagree... but adding a double jeopardy court which runs off a lesser threshold of required evidence and loses the "without a shadow of a doubt" in judging guilt isn't the right way to do this. Let's be rational here, a hell of a lot of people would rather go to jail in 2018 than see their money, past, present, and future seized from them. While not exactly at play here, where a tax payer supported department was the defendant, in private party vs private party cases, folks are one double jeopardy ruling away from losing everything they have to a jury which sees less defense evidence than a criminal jury does and only requires a "likely they're guilty" feeling to issue the verdict.

It's the type of BS Americans were fleeing from when the country was founded. Early American tort law was much more strict than what had been seen in England and far more difficult to obtain judgements (as well as a system with reasonable judgement amounts) than today.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Did the guy point his gun at the cops or make some sort of threatening gesture? Because if he did, I’m pretty sure that fact would have made it in to this discussion.. And is it possible that the cops acted in the spur of the moment shooting through the door because he had a gun? Because that seems like it might be the reason but I’ve never heard of any law in any state that says a guy can’t carry a gun inside his own residence.. Also pretty sure that when they shot him dead, they had no idea whether or not he had a right to own the gun or to be cleaning his gun in his own home and expecting his friend Jim to be coming over with the gun oil that he had forgotten to purchase before hand.. Fact is, the cops made an instantaneous judgement when pulling their own firearms and killing the suspect and they may very well have been completely wrong in their judgement..And THATS a really big problem.. If said gun was double checked twice to be unloaded and the perp has a day off, what could be a better day than to spend a little time having a few beers and cleaning guns while listening to his favourite music, smoking some ribs out back and setting up a nice game of bones with the guys, on a beautiful sunny day.. Some people do work through the weekends and have off during school days..

But here’s the rub..

The reason that the judgement was only .04 had nothing to do with facts or circumstances and everything to do with the choice of lawyers.. Because you can bet your ass someone on the other side of the tracks would have afforded the OTHER law firm that would have probably gotten results more in the 1,000,000 range and that’s really #ed up.. Its interesting how no one here brings that fact up.. When it comes to court its all about the $$$ these days.. It’s like an investment.. You put in more you get out more.. And I’d bet $ that the family pressing this lawsuit had the $hittiest lawyer in town..

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Im no fan of the seperation of civil and criminal either. Its a pretty screwy situation.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join